Verifying 2006PL-CD

tomZ

G'day,
I have double and triple checked the MD5s according to the
directions included on the 2006PL CD I've received from a burner and
at the website:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2006/2006PL-CD-about.php#VerifyCD
(I will also quadruple check if requested :)

The MD5 verification confirms a valid CD along with the expected
errors on my win98.
....but....

Per the website:
"The "used space" on the CD should = 668,831,744 bytes"

Per the Properties of my CD: 668,827,648 bytes 637MB
a difference of 4096 bytes.

It may be obvious (or already asked/answered), but what am I missing?

Cheers,
tomZ

--
If you spam my mailbox, you agree to accept any response I deem
appropriate.

Susan Bugher

tomZ said:
G'day,
I have double and triple checked the MD5s according to the directions
included on the 2006PL CD I've received from a burner and at the
website: http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2006/2006PL-CD-about.php#VerifyCD
(I will also quadruple check if requested :)

The MD5 verification confirms a valid CD along with the expected errors
on my win98.
...but....

Per the website:
"The "used space" on the CD should = 668,831,744 bytes"

Per the Properties of my CD: 668,827,648 bytes 637MB
a difference of 4096 bytes.

It may be obvious (or already asked/answered), but what am I missing?

Hasn't been asked. Just off the top of my head I'm thinking this may be
another Windows 98 glitch. Maybe some other Win98 users can report what
they see. Meanwhile I'll try to scrounge up some of the info that was
posted last year about those "invisible files".

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Susan Bugher

Hasn't been asked. Just off the top of my head I'm thinking this may be
another Windows 98 glitch. Maybe some other Win98 users can report what
they see. Meanwhile I'll try to scrounge up some of the info that was
posted last year about those "invisible files".

Ah well, egg on my face. AGAIN! :( I repeated an error I made last year.
Here's part of a post I made about the PL2005 CD:

My CD agrees with this info. Total size (right click on the CD drive
and look at the properties) of the my PL2005CD is 601,784,320 (573MB).
Someplace, not sure where, I thought the size was supposed to be
601,796,608.

That's probably the number I had on the web site - and removed after
realizing that it would likely be different on different OS - since it's
the "used space". Apologies for my stupidity.

FWIW - My "used space" number agrees with yours. (The number I had on
the web site was furnished by Steven Burn => different OS from mine.)
</q>

More apologies for my *continued* stupidity. Time to remove that info. .
.. again. . .

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Susan Bugher

Susan said:
Ah well, egg on my face. AGAIN! :( I repeated an error I made last year.
Here's part of a post I made about the PL2005 CD:

That's probably the number I had on the web site - and removed after
realizing that it would likely be different on different OS - since it's
the "used space". Apologies for my stupidity.

FWIW - My "used space" number agrees with yours. (The number I had on
the web site was furnished by Steven Burn => different OS from mine.)
</q>

More apologies for my *continued* stupidity. Time to remove that info. .
. again. . .

Footnote: my PL2005 CD has "grown" from 601,784,320 to 601,796,608 bytes
since I switched from Win98 to WinXP. :)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

tomZ

Susan said:
Ah well, egg on my face. AGAIN! :( I repeated an error I made last year.

At least you're consistent :) ....it'll make it easier to correct
next year.
Here's part of a post I made about the PL2005 CD:

That's probably the number I had on the web site - and removed after
realizing that it would likely be different on different OS - since it's
the "used space". Apologies for my stupidity.

FWIW - My "used space" number agrees with yours. (The number I had on
the web site was furnished by Steven Burn => different OS from mine.)
</q>

I kind of suspected, thought, had a feeling, that OSs
might/would/possibly be responsible for different numbers.
But I've put my foot in my mouth enough times to realize it's better
to stick up your hand and ask.
More apologies for my *continued* stupidity. Time to remove that info. .
. again. . .

Sorry Susan. This doesn't even come close to the stupidity category.
Oversight, maybe. Misleading, possibly. But
stupidty?........don't make me laugh! ;)

Cheers,
tomZ

--
If you spam my mailbox, you agree to accept any response I deem
appropriate.
Keep SIGNATURE AGREEMENT before replying.
"Any business model that relies on 'caveat emptor' is not ethical."
(aka Sony)
This posting may not be reversed engineered. My keyboard is proprietary.

dszady

Susan said:
tomZ said:
G'day,
I have double and triple checked the MD5s according to the directions
included on the 2006PL CD I've received from a burner and at the [...]
"The "used space" on the CD should = 668,831,744 bytes"

Per the Properties of my CD: 668,827,648 bytes 637MB
a difference of 4096 bytes.

It may be obvious (or already asked/answered), but what am I missing?

Hasn't been asked. Just off the top of my head I'm thinking this may be
another Windows 98 glitch. Maybe some other Win98 users can report what
they see. Meanwhile I'll try to scrounge up some of the info that was
posted last year about those "invisible files".

4096 bytes. Sounds like the size of the folder it was in.

Susan Bugher

4096 bytes. Sounds like the size of the folder it was in.

I don't think so. . . I think it's a Win9x glitch. . .

I noticed the actual size of the ISO file I downloaded and the "used
space" on the PL2006 CD I burned are exactly the same on my WinXP OS
(668,831,744 bytes). ("Used space" on the hard drive is more.) Be
interesting to know if that's the case with Win9x systems too. The OP
didn't DL the file so he can't check - I no longer have Win98 installed
- maybe someone else would like to do the honors and post the numbers?

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Terry Russell

Susan Bugher said:
I don't think so. . . I think it's a Win9x glitch. . .

I noticed the actual size of the ISO file I downloaded and the "used
space" on the PL2006 CD I burned are exactly the same on my WinXP OS
(668,831,744 bytes). ("Used space" on the hard drive is more.) Be
interesting to know if that's the case with Win9x systems too. The OP
didn't DL the file so he can't check - I no longer have Win98 installed -
maybe someone else would like to do the honors and post the numbers?

Glitches are not consistent, its a feature :)
I seem to recall something to do with the way it counts, wanders off
down the hall of smoke and mirrors making Dr Zoidberg impressions.

PL2006CD
w98 cd properties 668,827,648
by file count 667,752,427
xp pro cd properties 668,831,744
by file count 667,752,427

properties doesn't verify much, the directory sizes
will be the same even if the file points to a big seethrough hole on the
disk
only a burn that mangled the iso info would report anything different, and
you probably couldn't even read the cd then

Susan Bugher

Glitches are not consistent, its a feature :)
I seem to recall something to do with the way it counts, wanders off
down the hall of smoke and mirrors making Dr Zoidberg impressions.

PL2006CD
w98 cd properties 668,827,648
by file count 667,752,427

Thanks Terry. :) The size of the PL2006 ISO file as shown on a Win98 OS
is the number I'm interested in - and that's just idle curiosity.
xp pro cd properties 668,831,744
by file count 667,752,427

properties doesn't verify much, the directory sizes
will be the same even if the file points to a big seethrough hole on the
disk
only a burn that mangled the iso info would report anything different, and
you probably couldn't even read the cd then

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware