using mmc snapin for wins mgt

KV

My wins server is still NT4. Is there a problem using xp
admin tools with a wins nt4 server. the 2k snaping worked
ok?
TIA

Benny Fu

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your posting.

The change to the WINS Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Application Programming
Interface (API) among Windows 2000, Windows XP Professional, Windows Server
2003, and Windows NT 4.0 prevents remotely administering Windows NT
4.0-based WINS servers from Windows 2000 and Windows Server 2003 versions
of the WINS MMC snap-in. This is not a regression because Windows 2000
shares the same limitation.

Hope it clears your concerns.

Thanks and have a good day!

Regards,

Benny Fu
Microsoft Online Partner Support
Microsoft Corporation
Get Secure! – www.microsoft.com/security

| From: "KV" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "KV" <[email protected]>
| Subject: using mmc snapin for wins mgt
| Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 09:38:58 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
|
| My wins server is still NT4. Is there a problem using xp
| admin tools with a wins nt4 server. the 2k snaping worked
| ok?
| TIA

KV

We are still in the process of converting over to win2k,
AD and some XP on the desktop so I won't argue how much,
or if there are any problems administering NT4 wins from a
2k workstation. But I will tell you there has been some
kind of change from 2K to XP. with 2k you could get wins
database stats, query active records etc.... I can do that
on XP?

Benny Fu

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your reply.

To perform remote server admin on a Windows XP Professional computer, you
need to install the Windows 2003 Admin Pack.

You cannot install the Windows 2000 Adminpak.msi file on Windows XP-based
clients or on Windows Server 2003 family-based computers. These tools no
longer work on these platforms and are not supported. Please use the
Windows Server 2003 version of the Administration Tools pack.

The Windows Server 2003 RTM version of Adminpak.msi can only be installed
on computers that are running the Windows Server 2003 family, Windows XP
Professional with SP1 or later.

Downloading and Installing the Windows Server 2003 RTM Administration
Tools package on Windows XP Professional:

You can download Adminpak.exe directly. To do so, visit the following
Microsoft Web site:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=d232481f-28ea-4ba6-
919b-95a8d757eff9:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/c/7/5/c750f1af-8940-44b6-b9eb-d74014e
552cd/adminpak.exe

More Information:
==============
304718 Administering Windows Server-Based Computers Using Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=304718

Hope it helps.

Thanks and have a good day!

Regards,

Benny Fu
Microsoft Online Partner Support
Microsoft Corporation
Get Secure! – www.microsoft.com/security

| From: "KV" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "KV" <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: using mmc snapin for wins mgt
| Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 05:42:29 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
|
| We are still in the process of converting over to win2k,
| AD and some XP on the desktop so I won't argue how much,
| or if there are any problems administering NT4 wins from a
| 2k workstation. But I will tell you there has been some
| kind of change from 2K to XP. with 2k you could get wins
| database stats, query active records etc.... I can do that
| on XP?

| >|
| >| My wins server is still NT4. Is there a problem using
| xp
| >| admin tools with a wins nt4 server. the 2k snaping
| worked
| >| ok?
| >| TIA
| >|