using ICS with Win 2000 pro and XP home

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 Networking' started by Mr_jones9999, Jun 7, 2004.

  1. Mr_jones9999

    Mr_jones9999 Guest

    Hello
    I have a good 100mbps network connection using a peer to
    peer ethernet connection, yet when I activate the ICS on
    the Windows 2000 Pro sp4 machine (hooked to DSL) using a
    USB intel pro 3200 DSL modem in dial up mode (train on
    dial) I can map network drives to either computer the XP
    system is on a laptop.

    yet I cannot achive a internet connection although I have
    done this a million times in the past with almost all
    versions except XP, can anyone suggest what the problem is?

    I have ZoneAlarm pro suite, set to use the ICS on both
    machines, I am NOT using the XP firewall. as I stated
    above I can map network drives, no problem but even though
    the ICS on the Main computer (windows 2000 machine) is
    active and has changed the ip address to my ethernet
    connection to 198.168.0.1 as it states, still no connection

    any suggestions as I have looked all over in the newsgroup
    help forum and cannot find any other problems such as this

    thank you in advance for any ideas

    Mr_jones9999

    Mr_jones9999, Jun 7, 2004

  2. Mr_jones9999

    Bob I Guest

    What is gateway on XP box, should be 192.168.0.1

    Bob I, Jun 8, 2004

  3. Mr_jones9999

    Guest Guest

    Hello

    the gateway is on the win 2000 pro box, as it is hooked up
    to the internet via USB intel Pro3200 Dmt DSL modem, it
    has the ip address of 192.168.0.1, the xp laptop has a ip
    of 192.168.0.9 when I set it static, when I let the ip
    address automaticly it can be anywhere from 192.168.0.2-
    192.168.0.254 (I believe) as I stated earlier I can share
    files but not the Internet connection on that is located
    on the Win 2000 box, which of course there are not any
    drivers for the XP with that USB Intel Pro3200 modem

    I need to be able to remove the laptop and take that with
    me but I would like to keep it updated besides glomming
    onto the coffee shop behind my house using the WiFi access
    point they have, not that ethical.

    any suggestions?

    thanks

    Mr_jones9999