Using "computer management" in XP

I have a C and a D drive. D is the slave. I want to format D but not C. I
went into Computer management" and tried , but I got a message that said D
was in use and did I want to force it.
The Computer Management window shows 2 disks; 0 and 1. 0 is the C, and 1 is
the D. 0 says "healthy, system, NTSF", and 1 says "healthy ,active ,FAT32."
Thank you.

Brian

jenniferesme said:
I have a C and a D drive. D is the slave. I want to format D but not C. I
went into Computer management" and tried , but I got a message that said D
was in use and did I want to force it.

Is it possible the windows got installed on D instead of C? To check, get a
command prompt (from start, programs, accessories). Type set and hit enter.
Is the entry for 'windir' set for C: or D:?

Unless windows is installed on D:, you should be okay forcing it to format
anyway. I'm assuming of course you have checked the drive and there is
nothing there you need to keep.

Brian

You can perform the formatting of D during the installation. It will warn
you if there is an existing installation on D.
--
Regards
M. Rajesh

so are you saying that it will warn me and I wil have a choice not to format
it? I know this may be an obvious question, but I don't want to start the
process and have to abort it. Thanks.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Jennifer,
Going back to the first message that the disk was in use.
This means that a file handle is open on the D: Drive.
This can mean that Windows Explorer is open and pointing to D:.
This can mean that the pagefile is located on D Drive.
This can mean a CMD prompt is open and pointing to the D drive.
This can mean that an application is running that has open files or temp
files on the D Drive. so check what applications are running and shutdown
those that are needed to be running while formatting.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: =?Utf-8?B?amVubmlmZXJlc21l?= <[email protected]>
<Subject: Re: Using "computer management" in XP
<Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 05:28:02 -0700
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
<
<so are you saying that it will warn me and I wil have a choice not to
format
<it? I know this may be an obvious question, but I don't want to start the
<process and have to abort it. Thanks.
<
<"M. Rajesh" wrote:
<
<> Hi,
<>
<> You can perform the formatting of D during the installation. It will
warn
<> you if there is an existing installation on D.
<> --
<> Regards
<> M. Rajesh
<> .Net and Windows Shell MVP
<> www.winxpsolution.com.
<> Windows MarketPlace Moderator
<>
<>
<> "jenniferesme" wrote:
<>
<> > I checked and windows is installed on C. Thanks.
<> >
<> > "Brian" wrote:
<> >
<> > > > I have a C and a D drive. D is the slave. I want to format D but
not C.
<> > > I
<> > > > went into Computer management" and tried , but I got a message
that said D
<> > > > was in use and did I want to force it.
<> > >
<> > > Is it possible the windows got installed on D instead of C? To
check, get a
<> > > command prompt (from start, programs, accessories). Type set and hit
enter.
<> > > Is the entry for 'windir' set for C: or D:?
<> > >
<> > > Unless windows is installed on D:, you should be okay forcing it to
format
<> > > anyway. I'm assuming of course you have checked the drive and there
is
<> > > nothing there you need to keep.
<> > >
<> > > Brian
<> > >
<> > >
<> > >
<

Mats

You also can boot into safemode and try the format from there. This will
prevent some software from starting and possibly locking the drive

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello Jennifer,
Going back to the first message that the disk was in use.
This means that a file handle is open on the D: Drive.
This can mean that Windows Explorer is open and pointing to D:.
This can mean that the pagefile is located on D Drive.
This can mean a CMD prompt is open and pointing to the D drive.
This can mean that an application is running that has open files or temp
files on the D Drive. so check what applications are running and shutdown
those that are needed to be running while formatting.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: =?Utf-8?B?amVubmlmZXJlc21l?=