    Can anybody enlighten me why is this happening and does it have to be
    installed or something to be used in the console.

    Regards

    Guest, Apr 23, 2007

    Malke Guest

    Ashish wrote:
    > hi all
    > this is my first post to the group, hoping to find a solution to the problem.
    >
    > I am using Windows XP Home Edition version 2002 SP2 on my laptop and i have
    > created 2 accounts one as an administrator for myself and one for my friend
    > which is a limited account.
    > Now i want that for this limited account my friend should not be able to
    > change the password.For achieving this i tried to use the MMC in this case
    > the computer management console. But the problem i am facing is that i am not
    > getting the Local Users and Groups section under system tools section in the
    > console.
    >
    > Can anybody enlighten me why is this happening and does it have to be
    > installed or something to be used in the console.

    You're not able to find those advanced user configuration tools because
    you have XP Home Edition. In XP Home, you don't have the fine-grained
    ability to set permissions and restrictions that you do in XP Pro.
    Instead, you can use MVP Doug Knox's Security Console or the MS Shared
    Computer Toolkit.

    http://www.dougknox.com
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sharedaccess/default.mspx
    microsoft.public.windows.sharedaccess - Toolkit newsgroup

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, Apr 23, 2007

    Nepatsfan Guest

    In news:,
    Ashish <> wrote:
    > hi all
    > this is my first post to the group, hoping to find a solution
    > to the
    > problem.
    >
    > I am using Windows XP Home Edition version 2002 SP2 on my
    > laptop and
    > i have created 2 accounts one as an administrator for myself
    > and one
    > for my friend which is a limited account.
    > Now i want that for this limited account my friend should not
    > be able
    > to change the password.For achieving this i tried to use the
    > MMC in
    > this case the computer management console. But the problem i
    > am
    > facing is that i am not getting the Local Users and Groups
    > section
    > under system tools section in the console.
    >
    > Can anybody enlighten me why is this happening and does it
    > have to be
    > installed or something to be used in the console.
    >
    > Regards

    Keep in mind that as an administrator, you can go into the User
    Account applet in Control Panel and change his password at any
    time. Since there's no danger of losing access to encrypted
    files in XP Home, this is a much safer procedure than it is in
    XP Pro.

    If you want to prevent your friend from changing the password,
    try the following.
    Open a command prompt window (Start -> Run -> enter cmd.exe in
    the Open box).
    At the command prompt enter the following command where you
    substitute the name of your friends account for ACCTNAME.

    net user ACCTNAME /passwordchg:no

    For more info, take a look at this article.

    How to Use the Net User Command
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/251394

    Good luck

    Nepatsfan

    Nepatsfan, Apr 23, 2007

    Thanks for the response Malke. I think that was a bit too much to ask from
    home edition of XP.Anyways now u have put up some options there let me try
    them and if its not solved i will post you guys back.

    Thanks once again

    Ashish

    Guest, Apr 23, 2007

    Thanks for the reply mate. I was just trying the tools suggested in the
    previous response and now that you have given me option of not installing
    anything and rather using command prompt to solve this issue i will try that
    first.

    Thanks once again

    Ashish

    Guest, Apr 23, 2007