using a Ethernet connection as a input to Ethernet switch to be ableto connect many machines to netw

Discussion in 'Windows XP Networking' started by s, Jan 20, 2010.

  1. s

    s Guest

    We have a fiber port in our office. A single mode fiber cable's one
    end connected to that port and another to a fiber ethernet media
    converter like
    http://www.amazon.com/Allied-Telesy...8?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1264029691&sr=8-1.
    To that fiber ethernet media converter a ethernet cable is connected
    at one end and another end of the Ethernet cable goes into a printer
    which is used as a network printer.

    Present connection

    Fiberport----------- single mode Fibercable------ fiber ethernet media
    converter ----- Ethernet cable------- printer(as it can take only
    ethernet cables for connecting to the network)

    Can we use a switch like NETGEAR FS105 5-Port Fast Ethernet Switch
    shown at http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=190786 to
    connect more machines to the network by connecting the ethernet cable
    from the fiber ethernet media converter as a input to the switch from
    which we can get more Ethernet connections to connect other computers?

    Proposed connection.

    Fiberport----------- single mode Fibercable------ fiber ethernet media
    converter----- Ethernet cable------- Ethernet switch----------------
    Multiple connections one of which goes to printer and other to
    different machines.

    Can someone please clarify?

    Thanks

    s, Jan 20, 2010

  2. Re: using a Ethernet connection as a input to Ethernet switch to be able to connect many machines to network

    Hi
    Physically you can connect a switch and other devices. However it depends if
    the Fiber on its other side is connecting correctly to a server/network that
    can provide services to other devices.
    In other word it is an issue that has to be addressed to an IT person who is
    in charge of the whole network.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Jan 21, 2010