Useful resources

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Carpet said:
I'm glad that people actually know where and what Latvia is, a lot of people even from Germany don't know where Latvia is not mentioning America.
I'm from west side Latvia - Liepaja.

The germans know where Latvia is alright it was along with Lithuania and Estonia some of the first countries that they invaded in the second world war , they wanted control of the Baltic ports . They conscripted tens of thousands men into their army at gun point and tens of thousands of civilians into forced labour camps and murderd thousands aswell .
As for the russians lead by good ole uncle joe , he took a fifth of the population and sent them to siberia 99% of them never returned .
I belive I am right in saying that the British were the only nation not to recognise russias ocupation of the baltic states after the second world war and were a staunch ally in their fight for freedom . Which was gained in 1992 . My parents were on the first BA flight into the newly liberated Estonia .

:cool:

Reaction score
Carpet said:
It's not like I ever wanted to learn languages, here almost everyone speaks Latvian and Russian. In school they forced me to learn German and English in my opinion is coolest language. I learn it by watching CartoonNetwork. I heard only American accent and wenn i went to London I was like - huh? (but now I like it because I saw pretty girl walking near our hotel and was talking on phone with Brtish accent and then I started to love it :) ) And I find it very interisting that you can talk with so many nations in just one language
and by the way, is here anyone from Poole or Bournemouth?

I live in Farnborough, Hampshire (The home of British Aviation) which is approximatly 118km away from Bournmouth.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
The germans know where Latvia is alright it was along with Lithuania and Estonia some of the first countries that they invaded in the second world war , they wanted control of the Baltic ports . They conscripted tens of thousands men into their army at gun point and tens of thousands of civilians into forced labour camps and murderd thousands aswell .
As for the russians lead by good ole uncle joe , he took a fifth of the population and sent them to siberia 99% of them never returned .
I belive I am right in saying that the British were the only nation not to recognise russias ocupation of the baltic states after the second world war and were a staunch ally in their fight for freedom . Which was gained in 1992 . My parents were on the first BA flight into the newly liberated Estonia .

:cool:
You know history quite well :) And Britain was the first country that voted for that Latvia would be free nation. ( I hope that I don't mess this up with WWI )

What's the difference betwwen GB and UK?

Reaction score
Carpet said:
What's the difference betwwen GB and UK?
GB = England, Wales & Scotland.
UK = England, Wales, Scotland & Northern Ireland + Channel Islands & Isle of Man.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
feckit said:
GB = England, Wales & Scotland.
UK = England, Wales, Scotland & Northern Ireland + Channel Islands & Isle of Man.
oh no no no ... Scotland is not part of England & Wales ... we are an independent country, we just happen to be attached to the top of England. ;)

UK = Un-united Kingdom, who has a Queen & no King

GB = Great Britain ... who gave The USA, Australia & Canada & their freedom, We tend to drop the "Great" part and call ourselves Britain ... formally known as the British Commonwealth, and dropped the British bit now known just as The Commonwealth with members who have no obligations to Britain consisting of Antigua & Barbuda, Jamaica, Sierra Leone, Australia, Kenya, Singapore, The Bahamas, Kiribati, Solomons, Bangladesh, Lesotho, South Africa, Barbados, Malawi, Sri Lanka, Belize, Malaysia, St Kitts, Botswana, Maldives, St Lucia, Brunei, Malta, St Vincent, Cameroon, Mauritius, Swaziland, Canada, Mozambique, Tanzania, Cyprus, Namibia, Tonga, Dominica, Nauru, Trinidad, Fiji (suspended), New Zealand, Tuvalu, The Gambia, Nigeria, Uganda, Ghana, Pakistan, United Kingdom, Grenada, Papua, NG Vanuatu, Guyana, Seychelles, Zambia, India, Samoa & Zimbabwe.

54 states if you like. :D

I'm Scottish (Scotia). :p

* mucks is toying with you *

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
I'm Scottish (Scotia). :p

* mucks is toying with you *

Well I am English (of Norman descent) so there! :p

Having said that, I am also very pro Scotland, Wales & Ireland, mainly because of the way the English have treated them over the centuries, right up to the present day. There are times when I am ashamed to be English. Many in Wales and Scotland are seeking independence and quite frankly I cannot blame them.

Reaction score
Why do fight? I mean Scotland versus England. My dad works in a Scottish company(Aberdeen)When they watched football Spain vs. England all his friends were for Spain. That's really weird.

Reaction score
Carpet said:
Why do fight? I mean Scotland versus England. My dad works in a Scottish company(Aberdeen)When they watched football Spain vs. England all his friends were for Spain. That's really weird.
There is, I am very sad to say, a lot of hatred by many Scots for the English, which stems from almost 400 years of English rule (& often misrule). I think a lot of it is the Scottish Clan mentality that will not forgive and forget (a case of blaming the sons for the sins of the fathers). Also, in recent years, wildly inaccurate films etc. such as Braveheart have done much to aggravate the situation. This is mainly why many Scots. will not support English national sides at sporting events.

Successive British governments have not helped matters by concentrating much the nation's wealth mainly in the South of England. Also, foisting unfair taxes etc. on Scotland and Wales, months before the rest of the nation, just to try them out - does not exactly help matters either. However, things are slowly improving, I think, with the wealth shared out a bit more fairly.

As I said in my previous post, there are times that I am ashamed to be English, I just wish that they would realise that there are many English people who are on their side.

Last edited:

Ask a Question