USB - "Unknown Device", "Device nor Recognised" Weirdness

Reaction score
GA-K8NS
Athlon 64 3200+
80GB / 160GB SATA
ATI AIW 9800 SE
XP Home SP2

After seeming to work fine I now have totally failed USB interface.

On plugging any USB device in (tried simple Flash Memory, Saitek Evo Joystick and HP PSC 1205 printer/scanner), the system goes through the process of recognising that something has been plugged in but then fails to determine exactly what that something is. System Tray pops up messages which finish with "Unknown Device" and then "New Hardware Ready to Use". If, after a suitable pause, I plug the same device in again the System Tray message is "Device Not Recognised". Device Manager does not show any problems except reporting the Unknown Device when it is plugged in.

I have followed some of the Troubleshooting advice which seems to make the most sense including uninstalling all USB Hub Devices and then all USB Controllers. I have also checked that the Flash Memory and Joystick are recognised on ANO machine with no problems. I have tried to update Hub and Controller device drivers (asking it to go to Microsoft to check for latest). From what I can tell the Motherboard drivers are all OK although this is the point at which my knowledge and confidence evaporates!

By way of possibly relevant further background. This PC has been repaired twice - both time with problems related to the motherboard and/or power. I would like to go back to the manufacturer again but it came from Microland Technology ( say no more / take a look at "Is Microland Technology Bust" thread)

Does anybody have any clues?
Should I just get a PCI USB card? (If so any recommendations?) - I say this because in some of the digging I have done so far there seem to be some concerns expressed about on-board USB / Power issues / AMD / VIA chipsets.

Many Thanks,

Neil

Reaction score
Many thanks for the prompt response.

Your question prompted me to look more closely using the Gigabyte recommended approach (ie open the PC and look for the markings on the board itself!). Given that the machine had just been "repaired" the now defunct Microland Technology (in fact they sent it back to me on the 23rd Dec so I am probably lucky to have it at all!) I guess I should not have been surprised to find that the K8NS Pro that I had originally purchased, is now a K8VT800!

At first glance last night, I am one rev behind on the BIOS, but don't know how to check the chipset drivers. The Giga-byte website says I need "Intel INF installation V6.2.1.1001". Should I just go through the installation process anyway?

Once I am at a point that I can plug USB devices in and get some sensible response, I will revisit the drivers for the devices - I think the only one which may need revisiting is the HP All-in-One printer/scanner.

As a general question - is a seperate PCI based USB sub-system a better way forward since in due course I am looking at connecting various midi controllers etc

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
your bios should be fine but im not that sure about it hopefully someone else on here will say if im right or wrong, try the usb drivers at the link below (bottom of page) and you should be up to date and working if not then try the usb device drivers, and if that doesnt work hope someone else reply's because i cant think of anything else to try

http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/Driver/Driver_GA-K8VT800 Pro.htm

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
The K8NS is a nVidia "chipset" motherboard, and as you are probably aware, needed the appropriate nVidia drivers.

The K8VT800 is a VIA chipset motherboard and as such needs the correct drivers also ... go to VIA and use their "all-in-one" (4-1) drivers.

:thumb:

Reaction score
Problem resolved - I think!

Thanks to both Me_2001 and Muckshifter!

I went through the process of loading the VIA 4 in 1 drivers, and then the VIA USB 2.0 drivers. I then re-installed the HP All-in-One software and updated the Joystick drivers.

All appears to be working although I am less than convinced about the reliability of USB following reboot so I switch off the printer and unplug the joystick each time. I have also just ordered a Belkin PCI USB controller and external hub to deal with the additional devices I plan to use.

Thanks again for your help!

Reaction score
Another problem solved !!! I have a Kingston Flash Memory Data traveller II 1 Gb. When I plugged it in , windows didn't recognised it and gave me an "Unknown Device" error in the "Device Manager/Universal Serial Bus Controllers" list. Than I disabled "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Constroller" => my USB 2.0 ports started to work and my flash files got recognised. I hope this will solve more of your problems, I found this solution on the web after deep searching it so enjoy as much as you can.

Reaction score
Illidan said:
Another problem solved !!! I have a Kingston Flash Memory Data traveller II 1 Gb. When I plugged it in , windows didn't recognised it and gave me an "Unknown Device" error in the "Device Manager/Universal Serial Bus Controllers" list. Than I disabled "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Constroller" => my USB 2.0 ports started to work and my flash files got recognised. I hope this will solve more of your problems, I found this solution on the web after deep searching it so enjoy as much as you can.
Thanks so much, I dug and dug for this solution, finally your recommendation worked, I registered to this forum simply to thank you. Cheers

Ask a Question