USB mass storage: memory stick not recognized

Discussion in 'Windows XP Hardware' started by Guest, Sep 12, 2004.

    Hi,
    Posted yesterday, but I still have no solution. I appreciate any help or
    ideas. See below for problem description.

    Hi,
    I have a SiS 7001 PCI-to-USB Controller which works fine with my DigCam but
    doesn't recognize the USB memory stick. The memory stick is okay, I tried it
    at another Computer.
    I have tried all of the things described in
    http://www.usbman.com/Guides/SiS USB Tips and Tricks.htm but it
    didn't help.
    I found out that the file "usbstor.sys" is missing in
    C:/Windows/System32/Drivers and downloaded it from the Internet to that
    place, but it didn't help. I also changed the drivers for USB to "Standard
    OpenHCD USB-Hostcontroller". Now I am out of ideas and I try this newsgroup
    as I think the problem is on Microsofts side.

    OS: WinXP (with ServicePack2)
    USB Memory Stick: GoChip(TM) USB2.0 Flash Drive Controller

    I appreciate any help and comments. You can also contact me directly via MSN
    Messenger () or ICQ (145840208).

    Thanks a lot!
    David

    Olabisi Awoyele
    9/11/2004 12:10 PM PST
    could be a service pack 2 issue, take this up with Microsoft would be my
    advise

    David
    9/11/2004 12:18 PM PST
    it didn't work before either, that's why I installed SP2... :-(

    Guest, Sep 12, 2004

    rvscan Guest

    20Tricks.htm but it
    >didn't help.
    >I found out that the file "usbstor.sys" is missing in
    >C:/Windows/System32/Drivers and downloaded it from the

    Internet to that
    >place, but it didn't help. I also changed the drivers

    for USB to "Standard
    >OpenHCD USB-Hostcontroller". Now I am out of ideas and I

    try this newsgroup
    >as I think the problem is on Microsofts side.
    >
    >OS: WinXP (with ServicePack2)
    >USB Memory Stick: GoChip(TM) USB2.0 Flash Drive

    Controller

    >I appreciate any help and comments. You can also contact

    me directly via MSN
    >Messenger () or ICQ (145840208).
    >
    >Thanks a lot!
    >David
    >

    >Olabisi Awoyele
    > 9/11/2004 12:10 PM PST
    >could be a service pack 2 issue, take this up with

    Microsoft would be my
    >advise
    >

    >David
    > 9/11/2004 12:18 PM PST
    >it didn't work before either, that's why I installed

    SP2... :-(

    >.
    >I have seen instances where usb storage devices didn't

    show up in XP. So far each time that I have seen this it
    seems to be that for some reason Windows XP will
    sometimes give the removable storage device the same
    drive letter as another device (i.e. CD rom drive or even
    a mapped network drive). When this occurs I have been
    able to go into the control panel, then into
    administrative tools, then computer management. Then
    under storage click on disk management. You should then
    be able to see the device and change the drive letter
    assignment for the device. Just make sure that you look
    at my computer or explorer first to see what drive
    letters are being used. I usually set this to two or
    three letters higher than the highest letter being used.
    It may give you a warning notice that changing the letter
    might prevent some things that are seeing it now not to
    see it. Since you aren't seeing under my computer or
    explorer anyway click on OK or Yes to change the letter.
    Hope that this helps you.

    rvscan, Sep 12, 2004

    Hi:

    Have you checked your usbstor.inf file, maybe you don't have this file
    in C:\Windows\INF (this is a hidden folder). If you don't have this file
    Windows will not recognize the device. You can get the file of the
    instalation disk of windows XP, it is in the folder I386 with the name
    Usbstor.in_, you will need to decompress this file, to decompress it you
    first copy the file to c: then you run this command
    restore -r c:\usbstor.in_
    After this you will have the file usbstor.inf in c:\, now copy it to the
    folder c:\Windows\INF
    You also have to check your usbstor.sys file, this file is located in
    c:\windows\system32\drivers if you don't have it, it is located in the
    windows installation disk in the folder i386, but it is inside the archive
    DRIVER.CAB, you just need to decompress Usbstor.sys from this archive (you
    can do this with winzip) then copy this file to c:\windows\system32\drivers

    Before doing this is, if you installed any driver to use your Memory
    Stick, you will need to uninstall it.

    I had the same problem with a USB Memory Stick Reader and a Digital
    Camera, but I solved it this way. I hope this help you too.

    fta777.

    Guest, Oct 10, 2004

    Hi,
    thanks for your reply. I have both usbstor.inf in C:\WINDOWS\inf and
    usbstor.sys in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers there, so that's not the problem.
    I wonder how I may contact Microsoft Corporation directly to have someone
    help me. At least I paid quite some money for my Windows XP OS, so I could
    expect some support.
    But thanks again.
    Cheers
    David

    Guest, Oct 10, 2004

    Bob I Guest

    Right hand side of page.

    http://support.microsoft.com/winxp

    Bob I, Oct 11, 2004

    there seems to be a general problem with usb connections and windows xp and
    this is a big bug in xp sp2 so dont install it or you will find you cannot
    access all ur usb devices. i would suggest going to device manager and
    uninstalling all ur usb devices and hubs etc then let windows find them

    Guest, Oct 15, 2004
  7. The problem is that the USB drivers often do not get updated when you
    install SP2. This can be resolved through several methods including
    installing your chipset (motherboard) drivers again.

    Anything beside that is actually a problem with registry settings for
    the device that would have happened on either SP1 or SP2. This can be
    fixed as well, but I won't go into that ehre unless necessary.

    -----
    Nathan McNulty

    Nathan McNulty, Oct 16, 2004

    Hi,

    I know this is months after the start of this thread, but I figured it
    might. I have exactly the same problem, no usb mass storage device was
    recognised but my webcam is. I found a workaround by disabling the SiS PCI to
    USB Enhanced Host Controller. This allowed my devices to to be recognised and
    was able to use them. It unfortunately removes the ability to run at usb 2.0
    speed (I think it reverts to 1.1) but at least you can access your devices.

    I am now just waiting for a fix to emerge from MS or SiS, Oh well..........

    Guest, May 13, 2005

    http://www.explorerxp.com/

    Here is a great little program like Windows Explorer, but in some cases
    better AND it will see your USB devices.

    Guest, Jul 17, 2005

    Nathan -
    At times I can be a bit compulsive. This is one of those times. I have
    seached hundreds of sites/forums for answers to flash media devices not
    showing their drive in Windows Explorer or MyComputer. ZIO, Sandisk, and
    Olympus have not found a solution either. The devices work fine, just don't
    show drive letters. They do show up in Control Panel under Portable Media
    Devices. However, I do not have all the right click or View options that are
    offered in Explorer. The program ExplorerXP does not allow for thmbnail
    viewing either, but I do have right click options. I am ready for registry
    editing. Got help?

    Guest, Jul 23, 2005