Windows XP USB enumeration problem on EVO laptop

Reaction score
Hi,
i have a problem on my EVO N1050V laptop running XP Pro

One of my usb devices are not recognized... the usb device is recognized on 3 of my other machines.
What happends is that the enumeration process fails and the device Instace id becomes VID_0000&Pid_0000 instead of what it should be, so the drivers are for me impossible to install. I can copy the registry datas from my other machine and force a installation that way but it only results in a device cannot start 10 error code.

Motherboard Chipset: ATI Radeon 1GP-340M
BIOS: Phoenix (09/02/04) and is latest according to hp compaq web sites - KE.M1.72.0
IDE controller: ALI M5229 PCI bus Master IDE Controller
USB Controller: ULI/ALI M5237 USB Open host controller

Also tried changing to other usb drivers, but no luck. Also reinstalled windows XP and tried under both SP1 and SP2. Tried safe mode cleanup and reinstall usb controllers.

I know the device is usb 1.0 compatible as it enumerates on another machine with usb 1.0

What should i do? The device is very expencive so it would be cheaper to buy a new laptop, or is it another fix out there somewhere?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If you have done a fresh install of WinXP, it sounds like a basic hardware incompatibility. The only thing I can think of that may get round this is if you buy a cheap USB PCMCIA adapter for the laptop, as it has a new USB chipset it may get detected properly. Worth a go, certainly cheaper than getting a new laptop :)

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.

I have tested this aswell, a 2x2.0 usb card with the NEC chip (supposely)

I do however not fully understand this card, when i open the hardware device manager and open the usb menu-tree, new usb ports (on the card) and old ports are mixed in the list below so the unknown device is still listed below the ordinary old ports rather than in any connection with the new card ports...
Is this just a way of listing or have i not installed the card correctly?

Could a new motherboard be the solution?

Reaction score
...did a new twist

On another laptop i have, the device is enumerated ok on the laptop's build in 1.0 port
Then i took the new pcmcia card that i mentioned before, and installed this on the laptop that enumerates device ok
Then i plugged in the device i have problems with, in the card instead of the laptop-port - and guess what - the does not enumerate

Did i really have so bad luck on the card i bought that this -aswell as the evo laptop -both have problems enumerate my device??? .... huff

well, it's off to the store and buy another card then...

wish me luck, it seems like i could use some. Probably worked forth and back with this problem a week...

Ask a Question