USB 2.0 devices cause system to lock up

G

My computer is locking up whenever I plug a USB 2.0 device into a USB 2.0 port.

The devices I'm trying to use are a SanDisk memory stick reader and an iPod. Both cause the computer to stop responding when plugged into the USB 2.0, but work properly in any of my USB 1.1 ports.

The memory stick reader was working previously using this very same 2.0 port. I had it unplugged for a while and discovered this problem recently.

There is one device that works with the USB 2.0 port, and that's a Sony TRV-22 camcorder. I suspected this problem so I uninstalled all software and drivers associated with the camera. Then I uninstalled the USB 2.0 device in device manager and let WinXP reinstall the drivers, but I'm still having the same problem.

I have SP1.

Controller is an Intel 82801DB/DBM USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller that came with the computer.

The driver files all show a version of 5.1.2600.1243, except for usbui.dll which is 5.1.2600.0.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

A

alanrc54

Cari, can you elaborate on this a bit? Do you mean the computer's power
supply is inadequate, or do you mean to plug the USB device into it's own AC
adaptor versus drawing its power off the USB connection?

Alan

G

In my case, the memory stick reader has no external power supply, and the iPod does have the AC adaptor plugged in.

How can I determine whether the problem really is an inadequate power supply, other than by buying & installing a new one?

----- alanrc54 wrote: -----

Cari, can you elaborate on this a bit? Do you mean the computer's power
supply is inadequate, or do you mean to plug the USB device into it's own AC
adaptor versus drawing its power off the USB connection?

Alan

G

Just wanted to post the resolution to this, even though it probably won't help anybody else...

Turned out there was a hardware problem. You have the little plug that connects the USB ports into the motherboard, right - it plugs into those little pins. Well, one of those little pins (the ground pin) that sticks out of the mb was broken off. I unplugged that USB port, and the remaining USB 2.0 ports worked.

A

alanrc54

Thanks for posting that resolution. It's nice to find out how things finally
turned out, especially when other people took the time to write in
suggestions, even if it turned out to be something else.

Alan

cpatters9 said:
Just wanted to post the resolution to this, even though it probably won't help anybody else...

Turned out there was a hardware problem. You have the little plug that
connects the USB ports into the motherboard, right - it plugs into those
little pins. Well, one of those little pins (the ground pin) that sticks
out of the mb was broken off. I unplugged that USB port, and the remaining
USB 2.0 ports worked.

Ask a Question