URGENT- Invalid Code- Retail XP Home Upgrade (last day to replace at store-maybe)

QZ

I got a Windows XP SP2 Home Upgrade- *Retail*. for one of our two homebuilt
PCs, that will soon be partially upgraded. It was the next to last day to
return
it, so I had to check it for defects. (Actually, their policy isn't even
clear that they would replace it. And I usually read policies carefully.)

I bought it from an office super store.
It looks factory sealed to me. The CD looks fine. I attempted a clean
install,
as usual. (The other PC has another copy of WinXP)

If installed successfully, I know I would then have 30 days to use it w/o
activating; in the meantime I would have the PC upgraded, and then could
re-install it and activate.

I get 'The CD Key which you entered is invalid'. And I read MS's article
about this before asking. No, I am not misreading the letters/numbers. I
even had someone else double check it. I made settings changes in the BIOS
regarding it's virus checker and others.

Maybe a typo on the ID sticker on the back of the folder. So, maybe I need a
new key?
How is the wait time with MS phones?
A defective CD or CD-ROM drive?

*I haven't found anyone else having this error for a new retail install. I
am an experienced builder, so I am perplexed with this.
My luck, for testing, it might be just this old PC being problematic.Maybe,
when the PC is upgraded it might be fine, but who knows.

I was thinking of trying MS for a new key. If key fails, try for a new CD
from the vendor. If not, get MS to replace the CD.

Thanks,
QZ

Patrick Keenan

QZ said:
[...]

Tom Pepper Willett

Did the current version of Windows on your PC come preinstalled by the
computer manufacturer (OEM), or was it a retail version you installed?

Retail upgrades will not work on OEM versions.

Tom
"QZ" <nothing> wrote in message |I got a Windows XP SP2 Home Upgrade- *Retail*. for one of our two homebuilt
| PCs, that will soon be partially upgraded. It was the next to last day to
| return
| it, so I had to check it for defects. (Actually, their policy isn't even
| clear that they would replace it. And I usually read policies carefully.)
|
| I bought it from an office super store.
| It looks factory sealed to me. The CD looks fine. I attempted a clean
| install,
| as usual. (The other PC has another copy of WinXP)
|
| If installed successfully, I know I would then have 30 days to use it w/o
| activating; in the meantime I would have the PC upgraded, and then could
| re-install it and activate.
|
| I get 'The CD Key which you entered is invalid'. And I read MS's article
| about this before asking. No, I am not misreading the letters/numbers. I
| even had someone else double check it. I made settings changes in the BIOS
| regarding it's virus checker and others.
|
| Maybe a typo on the ID sticker on the back of the folder. So, maybe I need
| new key?
| How is the wait time with MS phones?
| A defective CD or CD-ROM drive?
|
| *I haven't found anyone else having this error for a new retail install. I
| am an experienced builder, so I am perplexed with this.
| My luck, for testing, it might be just this old PC being
problematic.Maybe,
| when the PC is upgraded it might be fine, but who knows.
|
| I was thinking of trying MS for a new key. If key fails, try for a new CD
| from the vendor. If not, get MS to replace the CD.
|
| Thanks,
| QZ

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Welcome to Microsoft support!
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=1173

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

:

| I got a Windows XP SP2 Home Upgrade- *Retail*. for one of our two homebuilt
| PCs, that will soon be partially upgraded. It was the next to last day to
| return
| it, so I had to check it for defects. (Actually, their policy isn't even
| clear that they would replace it. And I usually read policies carefully.)
|
| I bought it from an office super store.
| It looks factory sealed to me. The CD looks fine. I attempted a clean
| install,
| as usual. (The other PC has another copy of WinXP)
|
| If installed successfully, I know I would then have 30 days to use it w/o
| activating; in the meantime I would have the PC upgraded, and then could
| re-install it and activate.
|
| I get 'The CD Key which you entered is invalid'. And I read MS's article
| about this before asking. No, I am not misreading the letters/numbers. I
| even had someone else double check it. I made settings changes in the BIOS
| regarding it's virus checker and others.
|
| Maybe a typo on the ID sticker on the back of the folder. So, maybe I need a
| new key?
| How is the wait time with MS phones?
| A defective CD or CD-ROM drive?
|
| *I haven't found anyone else having this error for a new retail install. I
| am an experienced builder, so I am perplexed with this.
| My luck, for testing, it might be just this old PC being problematic.Maybe,
| when the PC is upgraded it might be fine, but who knows.
|
| I was thinking of trying MS for a new key. If key fails, try for a new CD
| from the vendor. If not, get MS to replace the CD.
|
| Thanks,
| QZ

QZ

As I said, homebuilt and atteptted a clean install. I inserted a retail copy
of Windows ME for verification.

QZ

Yes, I am going to call them, give them the faulty key, and hopefully they
give me a new key. I assume that is how it works.