Upgrading Home to Pro - losing connection option

Bob

I have just upgraded my laptop from XP-Home to XP-Pro and
all the internet connections that I had before have now
disappeared and I need to re-establish a connection.

The internet connection that I have here is a broadband
connection that requires a username and password but when
I go to set up a new connection setup the only one that
is available is the broadband that is always on. The
option I need, which I had before the upgrade, was the
broadband connection requiring a password etc. Even
the dial-up is not available, so I cannot connect to the
internet to activate Windows.

Any ideas where the other options of connections have
gone?

Many thanks

John Ski

Subject: Upgrading Home to Pro - losing connection option
From: "Bob" (e-mail address removed)
Date: 10/26/2003 5:23 PM Eastern Standard Time

I have just upgraded my laptop from XP-Home to XP-Pro and
all the internet connections that I had before have now
disappeared and I need to re-establish a connection.

The internet connection that I have here is a broadband
connection that requires a username and password but when
I go to set up a new connection setup the only one that
is available is the broadband that is always on. The
option I need, which I had before the upgrade, was the
broadband connection requiring a password etc. Even
the dial-up is not available, so I cannot connect to the
internet to activate Windows.

Any ideas where the other options of connections have
gone?

Many thanks
Try this KB article and see if it helps. It mentions reinstalling SP1...don't
bother. Try the regedit. Remember to back up the key before editing incase of
an error. If you're not comfortable with editing the Registry, I believe Kelly
has a script to do it at www.kellys-korner-xp.com .
HTH,
John
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
***Arthur C. Clarke***

John Ski

Try this KB article and see if it helps. It mentions reinstalling SP1...don't
bother. Try the regedit. Remember to back up the key before editing incase of
an error. If you're not comfortable with editing the Registry, I believe
Kelly
has a script to do it at www.kellys-korner-xp.com .

OOOOPS! Forgot to paste the link.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329441

Sorry,

From: "Bob" (e-mail address removed)
Date: 10/27/2003 4:59 AM Eastern Standard Time

John,

What is the KB number? What's the regedit change required?

Thanks and regards

I did send an additional post correcting my error, but in case you missed it,
it's 329441. Here's the link: