Unloading Registry Settings

John Smith

Hello there!

I'm using Windows 2000 Server w/ Service Pack 4 and Internet Explorer 6 w/
Service Pack 1.

The problem occurs when I try to log-off any of my user's accounts, including
the built-in Administrator account. I see the dialogue saying "Saving your
settings..." and it waits for approx. 15 - 20 seconds and then logs off. In the
Event Log, I receive the following error:

Type : Error
Event Id : 1000
Description : Windows cannot unload your registry file. If you have a roaming
profile, your settings are not replicated. Contact your administrator.
Detail: Access is denied

These aren't roaming profiles, they're local Profiles... Any advice?

Here is a list of what I've tried so far:

Granted Full control to each user's profile hive found in HKEY_USERS; and

Granted Modify permissions for each of the user's profile directories in the
/Documents and Settings/ directory.

Mark V

John Smith wrote in
[...]

It's generally not a permissions issue. Rather, some process(es) has
an open handle(s) into the User's Profile (ntuser.dat ("HKCU") or
UsrClass.dat)

This error and similar has appeared/disappeared/reappeared over
various OS versions, SPs and patches. If you _do_ use Roaming
Profiles the causes/solutions may be different though.

One patch (Q329170 _I_think_) was bad. Try un-installing it. (but
maybe wait for confirmation the exact number).

One thing to try (just to see) is stopping the SPOOLER service before
logoff-shutdown. Other Services or programs may also be at fault and
not properly releasing those handles.

One can set the "timeout" lower, but that is just a convenience and
does not solve anything.

There is a beta Service program a poster has developed to "solve"
this. I will contact him/her about posting the particulars here.

Mark V

Mark V wrote in
John Smith wrote in
Hello there!

I'm using Windows 2000 Server w/ Service Pack 4 and Internet
Explorer 6 w/ Service Pack 1.
[ ]

There is a beta Service program a poster has developed to "solve"
this. I will contact him/her about posting the particulars here.

The best I can do at the moment is point to a post here.

From: "Robin Caron" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.registry
Subject: Re: Registry not unloaded at logoff
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 22:33:45 -0400