Windows XP Unhandled Win32 Exception occurred in Explorer.exe

Reaction score
I am faced with this exception everytime i plug in my external hard disk or USB flash drive and try to transfer data. I receive the following message: "an unhandled win32 exception occurred in explorer.exe [1004]" in the JIT debugger and am asked to choose between one of the two options for debugging. I always have been selecting the 'NO' option to close the debugger.
From what i have read on the web, the easiest solution seems to be to re-install O.S (machine has XP O.S). Something which I would like to avoid.
I would really appreciate it if someone could help me with this and provide a solution which does not involve re-installing O.S.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Check for updates, aimed specifically at USB devices/software.

You can also check Event Viewer for Warning / Error Reports in the System and Application logs for the last boot and post copies.

You can access Event Viewer by selecting Start, Administrative Tools, and Event Viewer.

When researching the meaning of the error, information regarding Event ID, Source and Description are important.

HOW TO: View and Manage Event Logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP ...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427&sd=tech

You may find your only recourse IS to reinstall.

user.gif

Ask a Question