    Subject: FW: Contract issues - CARRIER WARRANTY CHECKS - STATUS UPDATE
    Sent: 8/21/2009 10:41 AM

    '' on 8/21/2009 10:41 AM

    503 Valid RCPT command must precede DATA

    This is happening to most of the emails I send. How can I fix this so I can
    send emails?

    Thanks

    Natalie

    Natalie, Aug 21, 2009

  2. Natalie

    K. Orland Guest

    Apparently this occurs when a server is expecting to receive mail before
    sending. This is usually results from server authentication priorities (for
    example, you attempt to send mail before your "spam filter" has finished its
    receiving process.)

    You must receive mail before you can send it.

    Solution: POP before SMTP.

    a.. Run a check for new messages (F9 key in Outlook) before sending your
    message and restart and rerun your spam filter application. Your IP address
    is entered in a relayhosts file, allowing email to be sent from your address
    for up to half an hour.
    a..
    a.. If the problem still persists check "my server requires authentication"
    to authenticate automatically. With this setting you can bypass the check
    above and send mail without having to "pop" your mail box first. You can
    also try changing the outgoing port from 25 to 587, since some ISP's block
    this port.

    K. Orland, Aug 21, 2009

  3. "Natalie" <> wrote in message

    > I get this error message when I try to send mail from my outlook 2003
    > account.

    Two of the common causes of this are 1) not properly authenticating to the
    outgoing server and 2) scanning your outbound mail with an antivirus program.
    In the former case, consult your mail provider's help pages. In the latter
    case, uninstall the AV program and reinstall it without the mail scanning
    feature.
    --
    Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

    Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook], Aug 21, 2009
  4. Natalie

    VanguardLH Guest

    K. Orland wrote:

    > Apparently this occurs when a server is expecting to receive mail before
    > sending.

    The RCPT-TO command is how the SMTP server to whom the message gets
    sent. For an aggregate of N recipients in the To, CC, and Bcc *fields*
    in the UI for the e-mail client, the e-mail client sends a RCPT-TO
    command for each recipient followed by a single DATA command that
    contains the message (user/client headers, blank delimiter line, and
    body). The RCPT-TO *must* be sent for the SMTP server to know where to
    send your e-mail. So, using the example above, you should see N RCPT-TO
    headers for the N total recipients and a DATA command (ended with a line
    with a single dot to delimit the length of the message):

    login/auth commands (USER, PASS)
    RCPT TO <recipient1>
    RCPT TO <recipient2>
    DATA
    <your message = headers, blank line, body>
    ..

    VanguardLH, Aug 22, 2009
  5. Natalie

    VanguardLH Guest

    Natalie wrote:

    > Hi
    > I get this error message when I try to send mail from my outlook 2003
    > account.

    See my reply to Orland. What you see in the UI for your e-mail client
    is not what gets sent to the mail server. There is an e-mail protocol
    to follow. From the To, Cc, and Bcc *fields* displayed in your e-mail
    client, a compiled list is created from the aggregate of all those input
    fields. For N recipients, N RCPT-TO commands will get sent to the SMTP
    mail server to tell it to whom your single message gets sent. That is
    followed by a DATA command that contains your message (headers, blank
    line, and body).

    If the RCPT-TO headers are missing then the SMTP server is not being
    told who are the recipients of your e-mail. It cannot deliver your
    message unless it knows to where to send it. Something is corrupting
    your e-mail traffic to the SMTP mail server. You either have an add-on
    that is screwing up the e-mail traffic or something upstream of your
    e-mail client is interrogating it and screwing up its content.

    See what happens when you load Outlook in its safe mode which eliminates

    outlook.exe /safe

    If that doesn't help, disable any e-mail scanning in whatever anti-virus
    program you use. It is superfluous protection for inbound e-mail. It
    is absolutely pointless for outbound e-mail as far as the recipient is
    concerned. Some text added to an e-mail claiming it is virus-free is
    NOT going to be believed by a recipient who should be using their own
    anti-virus software to use its on-access scanner for anything saved out
    of their e-mails.

    Some anti-virus programs do not get out of the way when you disable
    their e-mail scanning function. Your e-mail traffic still goes through
    their transparent proxy but doesn't go through interrogation; however,
    if their proxy screws up then so, too, is your e-mail traffic. You have
    to uninstall the anti-virus program and then do a *custom* install where
    you elect to NOT include their e-mail scanner.

    Some anti-virus programs act like a mail server. Rather than
    interrogate your e-mail traffic on-the-fly, they grab the entire e-mail
    as though your client had sent it to the actual mail server. Since your
    e-mail client sees a successful send, it shows no error. The AV program
    grabbed all of your e-mail and, independent of your e-mail client, then
    sends it onto the real mail server. If there is an error between the AV
    program and the real mail server, your e-mail client won't see it since
    it isn't involved anymore. I think McAfee's ViruScan is like this.
    Your e-mail client won't see any errors from the SMTP server because it
    never actually connected to the SMTP server. It instead connected to
    the local mail "server" for the AV program. If you want to see if there
    are errors between the AV's pseudo-server (looks like a server to your
    client and looks like a client to the real server), you have to go look
    at its logs.

    Inbound AV scanning on e-mail is superfluous. It duplicates the same
    check that the AV's on-access (real-time) scanner performs if and when
    you save anything out of an e-mail, like an attachment. E-mail scanning
    does, however, move earlier the detection but doesn't increase the level
    of protection. The delays it causes can incur timeouts at the client or
    server, especially noticeable for dial-up connections and/or for large
    e-mails (i.e., those with huge attachments).

    Outbound AV scanning doesn't make any sense. No one is going to believe
    some blurb added to an e-mail that claims it is virus free. If your AV
    on-access scanner (and on-demand scanner for scheduled scans) didn't
    catch the malware, well, it's the same stuff being used to scan your
    outbound e-mails. If it wasn't caught on your host, it won't get caught
    in your outbound e-mails, either.

    Get rid of e-mail scanning. It affords no additional protection but
    often causes timeouts, corrupted e-mail traffic, having to check logs
    between the AV and mail server (since the client never did connect to
    the mail server), and other problems.

    VanguardLH, Aug 22, 2009