Unashamed Arch plug

Reaction score
I have just had a look at it especially the Cinnamon edition, I noticed that it does not come with much software and the use of command line is more used. I may put it on to a spare drive and see how it goes. It looks interesting.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I have just had a look at it especially the Cinnamon edition, I noticed that it does not come with much software and the use of command line is more used. I may put it on to a spare drive and see how it goes. It looks interesting.

Your best bet is to try Antergos as a LIVE OS run from a usb or a dvd. If you have enough ram/memory on your pc you could run it with the "toram" option which will speed it up no end.

:cool:

Reaction score
Here is the speck of my PC:-
Linux Mint 18 64bit, CPU Asus A88X-Plus, Hard drive Seagate SSHD 2TB, Ram16 GB, Sound Card XONAR DS, Speakers Microlab FC360 2.1, Video Card GeForce GT640.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Arch Linux: In a world of polish, DIY never felt so good(2016)

Dig through the annals of Linux journalism and you'll find a surprising amount of coverage of some pretty obscure distros. Flashy new distros like Elementary OS and Solus garner attention for their slick interfaces, and anything shipping with a MATE desktop gets coverage by simple virtue of using MATE.

Thanks to television shows like Mr Robot, I fully expect coverage of even Kali Linux to be on the uptick soon.

In all that coverage, though, there's one very widely used distro that's almost totally ignored: Arch Linux.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Here are some reviews of Arch linux derivatives. I personally have not tried any of them but some good friends have posted that Antergos runs sweetly. ArchLabs gets favourable mentions and seems to be a rising star. OBRevenge is not a distro I am familiar with at all but the home site is slick and it looks like the main developers are dedicated Arch users.. The most unusual offering is VeltOS you will not find many current reviews on this distro but once again the home site is slick and the developers certainly love Arch.

ANTERGOS

Of course, Antergos is not officially supported by Steam. No other distro except Ubuntu is, at the moment. But Steam works fine. No issues there. Plus, you get a plethora of non-steam games from the official repositories and the Arch User Repository

VeltOS

VeltOS runs our very own Graphene Desktop, a simple interface designed to stay out of the way while still giving you quick access to all your applications and settings. Graphene is based on Google’s material design standards, and uses the Paper theme designed by Sam Hewitt.

VeltOS does not come with bloatware—only what you need. If there is anything we forgot, chances are one of the thousands of applications available for Arch Linux will suit your needs.

ARCHLABS

Like most great ideas, ArchLabs was not created in a vacuum. It was inspired by another, now defunct distro. Back in the early 2000s, Philip Newborough, also known as corenominal, released a distro named Crunchbang. His goal was to create a simple Debian based distro that used the Openbox window manager. The result was a simple, but powerful distro that took few resources and could run on lower powered computers. It became very popular.

A group of Crunchbang fans decided that they wanted to take a different route. Instead of sticking with the long release cycle of Debian, they wanted to take advantage of the more up-to-date packages in Arch. Thus ArchLabs was created. The goal was to imitate the look and feel of BunsenLab in the beginning, but allow ArchLabs to evolve its own identity. The current release is ArchLabs 4.1 Yoda. (Finally, a distro that uses Star Wars names. :) )

OBREVENGE

OBREVENGE2

Meet OBRevenge OS, a Gnu Linux operating system based on Arch Linux. OBRevenge OS features a light and fast Arch Linux base, with the cutting edge software that Arch is known for, and a quick and easy installation process. The goal of OBRevenge OS is to provide an easily installed desktop operating system with all of the power and customization of an Arch Linux base. OBRevenge OS is light on system resources, making it perfect for lower spec hardware, older machines, or those who simply want to save precious system resources for the work that they are doing. You don't have to choose to have either a nice looking and customizable system or a light and fast system, OBRevenge OS has got you covered with both!

Enjoy :cool:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Best Linux Distro Award: The Envelope Please…
FOSS Force Staff
For the second year in a row, Arch Linux wins both rounds in our poll to determine the winner of our Readers’ Choice Award for Best Linux Distro.

Mind you I would take that with a pinch of salt as somewhere in the article they say Arch has won the last two years yet Mint came first in 2015. I guess they must be polling in alternate universes at the same time and got mixed up. :lol:

Interesting that the number of folk voting has almost trebled since last year. Are more folk using linux ? Or are more folk seeing the fun of the poll ?

Arch won so who cares yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay :bow::cheers:

Reaction score
I think more people are going onto Linux distro's as there is more information sloshing around the Internet about Linux. The main problem for Microsoft is the bad press, the expense of running the OS as nearly anything you want to put on it costs a annual fee. For me it has aloud me the freedom to do what I want to do without my OS informing Microsoft of what I am doing. I have noticed I am not getting all the adverts I used to get when using W10. My wife is completely different I tried to convert her to Mint Cinnamon but she still wants Windows 10 but I have noticed that it now crashes a lot and she gets more and more adverts also I no longer pay for the extra software software needed to do the things she needs, so I do not know if she is putting her hand in her pocket to pay for them.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
A Quick Review Of Antergos Arch Based Linux Distro

Antergos is a rolling release Linux distribution based on Arch Linux. It is developed with simplicity in mind. It provides a fully configured system with defaults that make it usable right out of the box. Antergos is designed for all users from experts and developers to newbies. It is pretty impressive what the developers of distro have made. Let’s check it out.

Arch Linux has never been a distro for Linux newbies. The installation is something for only advanced users. But with Antergos, all the hassle of setting up Arch is taken away and replaced with a pretty straightforward and easy to use installer. Cnchi is one of two key things about Antergos, allowing Linux newbies to easily install Arch and set up a desktop with a very easy to use GUI based installer. The second is the Numix connection. The numix desktop and icon themes make Antergos quite beautiful, refined and tasteful in behavior and style. If you are interested in Arch but find the installation intimidating, you should definitely check out Antergos.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
ArchLabs

ArchLabs is also an Arch-based Linux distribution running the Openbox desktop. Its look and feel were heavily influenced and inspired by BunsenLabs Linux in the first few releases, but the developers have gradually pursued a more distinctive look and feel. What began as a BunsenLabs clone with greater emphasis on simplicity has grown into a distro with its own persona. (The BunsenLabs distro picked up where the shuttered CrunchBang Linux left off a few years ago.)

The live session loaded as expected without my having to jump through any terminal command hoops. Once running in the live session mode, an Internet connection automatically was enabled. That opened the door to a very pleasant user experience. The hard drive installation proceeded without issues.

The project's latest snapshot, ArchLabs 2017.09 Minimo, displays new branding and ample fine-tuning over previous builds. One of the most impressive tweaks in this September release is a welcome script which runs when the user first logs in.

I found that the Archlabs distro was an excellent Linux OS option to install on several very old laptops from the post Windows XP era. I have gotten far too comfortable using resource-intensive distros on my newer desktops and laptops. Archlabs Linux is a fun and effective alternative.

These "Linux Picks and Pans" articles are a hoot to read. :cool:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Think that Arch is difficult to install, well it does not have a GUI installer so I guess it may seem hard to some folk.
There is a way to try out Arch easily, so easily that almost anyone can install a version of Arch. By using Anarchy you can have a Arch os installed and running very very easily.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Bluestar Gives Arch Linux a Celestial Glow

Bluestar Linux is a GNU/Linux distribution that features up-to-date packages, an impressive range of desktop and multimedia software in the default installation, and a live desktop DVD. The live session capability is one of Bluestar's more enticing qualities.

Bluestar uses only the KDE desktop, but it builds in an unusual array of settings options that let you create a look and feel not found in other KDE iterations.

ehwinter-preview.png

The next thing I noticed was the unusual take Bluestar Linux presents on the KDE desktop. It offers a simplified design with the ability to alter the appearance with little effort.
The default Bluestar desktop shows three widgets: a row of folders to provide quick access to your personal documents by file types within the home folder; a hard drive usage widget; and a weather display. It's easy to remove any of these widgets or add others to the desktop.

The home site,

https://sourceforge..../?source=navbar

Bluestar Linux is an Arch Linux-based distribution, built with an understanding that people want and need a solid Operating System that provides a breadth of functionality and ease of use without sacrificing aesthetics. Bluestar is offered in three edtions - desktop, deskpro and developer - each tailored to address the needs of a variety of Linux users. Bluestar can be installed permanently as a robust and fully configurable operating system on a laptop or desktop system, or it can be run effectively as a live installer and supports the addition of persistent storage for those who choose not to perform a permanent installation.

A Bluestar Linux software respository is also maintained in order to provide additional tools and applications when needed or requested.

Bluestar provides the following features:

Up-to-date Kernel
Wide Variety of Applications - Always Current Versions
Full Development / Desktop / Multimedia Environment

A Arch that you can use on a stick with persistence and with a easy to use KDE who wouldn't want to give it a run.
biggrin.png

It does look pretty neat. An it is in active development and has been on the go since 2013. So I am downloading it now and I have a spare stick at the moment so I'll give it a whirl and report back.
breakfast.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
SwagArch GNU/Linux

• SwagArch is a beautiful and easy to use Arch Linux based Distribution.
  • SwagArch comes with the stable, light and configurable Xfce desktop environment.
  • The official repositories from Arch Linux are used.
  • Workflow and Efficiency optimized.
  • Remixed with archiso.

This looks like a neat little offering. Seems to have been on the go for a couple of years. An it appears to still be in active development with the developer accepting and implementing changes and improvements.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Run Arch Linux on your new Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ computer

RaspArch is a “remaster” of Arch Linux ARM. The original compressed system is of 231 MB. After I have added the LXDE Desktop environment, PulseAudio, Firefox, Yaourt and Gimp the system increased a lot. RaspArch is a “ready-to-go” ARM system. It must be installed on a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+, Raspberry Pi 3 Model B or Raspberry Pi 2 Model B computer.

I have not tried this guys version of Arch for the Pi but I did run Arch Arm on a Pi some time ago. It ran a great deal better than Raspbian mind you I was using Window Maker as my WM/DE.
good2.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score

What is ArcoLinux?

In short – get cape, wear cape and fly (see wallpaper)

ArcoLinux is a distribution based on Arch Linux. ArcoLinux installs with a graphical installer with ease and comfort. There are 3 major projects.
ArcoLinux is a full featured iso containing a ton of software and 3 desktops Xfce, Openbox and i3.
ArcoLinuxD is a minimal iso dropping you in the command line. With scripts you install any desktop and application you want.
ArcoLinuxB will give the user the power to actually build his own iso. The user decides what desktop and applications go on the iso.
ArcoLinux features hundreds of video tutorials on 5 websites and places a strong focus on learning and has even a learning plan. ArcoLinux promotes the use of Arch Linux on which it is based.
There are 13 desktops and 29 iso’s to choose from.
Awesome, Bspwm, Budgie, Cinnamon, Deepin, Gnome, i3, Mate, Openbox, Plasma, Qtile, Xfce, Xmonad, …

Blimey 13 desktops and 29 .iso's just for one distro, that must be some kind of record.

Arcolinux Downloads

If you are a Mint user you can use the built in USB + .iso writer, this can also be installed and used on all linux os's. Etcher for MAc, Windows and Linux works too.

I'll have to get around to trying it out one day.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
What are the best Arch Linux based distributions?

This is a rather quirky list of 30 different distros based on Arch. I thought it was hilarious that Arch only made it to second place on the list.

One offering "Zen Installer" looks very promising and sees to offer a very easy way to install Arch for a not so experienced linux explorer. :cool:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
System Rescue Cd Homepage

SystemRescueCd 6.1 Adds WireGuard Support, Linux Kernel 5.4 LTS

Coming more than a year after the SystemRescueCd 6.0 series, which switched to an Arch Linux base and dropped support for 32-bit kernel and user space programs, SystemRescueCd 6.1 is here with a brand-new kernel that will be supported for the next two years.

This should vastly improve hardware support, meaning that SystemRescueCd is now capable of recognizing newer hardware. Linux kernel 5.4.22 LTS is included in the latest release.

Another interesting change included in the SystemRescueCd 6.1 release is support for the WireGuard general purpose VPN protocol. Both the WireGuard kernel module and tools are present in the latest image.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Setting Up Arch Arm on Raspberry Pi 4

Recently we got a request to perform on a street-festival in Pärnu, which gave us the impetus to get a bit more mobile with our technology. We already own a battery-powered boombox, so now we needed something a bit smaller than a laptop to deliver sensor-triggered sound to the box. An obvious candidate for this is the Raspberry Pi 4, which, if rumors are correct, has become quite a powerful little beast.
This is a record of the steps I took to set the rpi up with my Linux distro of choice Arch, make it possible to receive data from our minibees and trigger stuff in SuperCollider using it. Let’s get to it! Much of the information is taken from Mads Kjeldgaard’s blog and translated to Arch equivalents. Additionally there is a lot of good information in Niklas Adam’s blog.

45180594.jpg

j6czlmnec8641.jpg

:D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Came across this video showcasing xscreensaver running on a Arch install. Looks like the guy is using Window Maker which is cool. Sweet spots are 16 and 30 mins in.

Watch the video in 1080pHD to get clear readable text.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Blimey an I went to all that trouble to make me first You Tube video an no one noticed or commented :eek:

I know it is a dire video, just sayin. :rolleyes:

Ask a Question