Unable to play back sound....PLEASE HELP!

Reaction score
I seem to be having problems with sound. i am unable to hear any sound at all from my pc.

i cant view the 'Volume Control' it returns the error that there are no 'There are no Active Mixer Devices Available'

if i go to control panel 'Sounds and Devices' near enough everything is greyed out! Under the Audio tab Sound playback and sound recording are greyed out with the default device saying 'No device Available' on both.

If i go to Device Manager and to sounds etc there are a list of devices -
+Audio Codecs
+Legacy Audio Drivers
+Legacy Video Capture Devices
+Media Control Devices
+Media Control Devices (yes it is displyed twice)
+MPU-401 Compatiable MIDI device
+Standarad game port
+Video Codecs

and if i go to the properties on all of them they all say 'This device is working properly.'

i have searched the internet tried so many things but nothing is working. I read about sound cards i am not even sure which one i have. but i know it says all the devices/drivers listed above are all working.

i even attempted to replace the sound card but i have not got a clue where it is and how to get it out. i can see the headphone and microphone ports on the back of the pc but i don’t know how to take it out.

i am using Windows xp pro

really need some help

Reaction score
i just went in to system information and sound devices and there is no infroamtion there what so ever. so i am presuming i have no sound card is that right?

if that is the case, then how can i insert a new sound card, i dont know where it goes and how to take in out of another machiene?
i can see the sockets for microphone etc.. but i cant work out how it comes out?

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
if you look at the back where the sockets are, are they at the bottom of the case or up with the other sockets like the keyboard and mouse?

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
so you going to take it out of an old system ? and put it into your newer PC

Reaction score
there both about the same. i looked at the one i am going to be taking it out of that seems the same.

i cant work out how to get the sound card out. the three plug sockets are attached to a yellow square thing! means nothing to me. with a yelow square thing on top that links to the monitor socket

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i've attatched it

Attachments

• Shuttle_AK37GTR_ports.jpg
    Shuttle_AK37GTR_ports.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 160
Reaction score
yep thats it. and then if i open it up the headphone etc sockets seem to be attatched to this yellow type box and next to that is a pink box that is attached to the monitor. which is why i am confused becasue i cant see them coming out.

and if this pc has not got a sound card then it luks pritty much the same as the other!

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
if its the same or similar then you have onboard/built in sound, the program i told you to run does it tell you what motherboard you have ? if not what make is the PC ?

Reaction score
i cant download it. is there not any other way i can get the infromation? does not say it at any point at start up? or in the bios somewhere?

Ask a Question