Windows Vista unable to log onto all sites

Reaction score
Hi i wonder if anyone can help. I have Vista 16 bit and Internet explorer 7. My antivirus is Mcafee 2009 and i use Malwarebytes. I recently cleaned the pc of some viruses and now there are a couple of sites that i can no loger get. I know the sites are open because they can be reached on other pc's. I have cleared cookies, history ect and have also put the sites into the trusted area but still no joy. I am not sure if i should name the sites as they are file sharing sites. If anyone can help with the problem i would be most obliged.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
It may be that your firewall is blocking them, or the "HOST file" is blocking them, or your cleanup left some bits over.

sarcasam ... you probably got your viruses off one of them sites ... /sarcasam

Never add any site to your trusted zone, not even Microsoft. ;)

:user:

Reaction score
I have tried turning off the firewall, and that never worked. Can i change the host file settings? Any more help would be appreciated. Perhaps a fresh install of Vista? Thanks for the help so far.

Reaction score
Just an add to, the problems seem to have started when i installed Tuneup Utillities. When i first ran it i got a microsoft message saying something had stopped working probably due to an application that you have installed. In the list was Tuneup Utillites so i uninstalled it. I also searched for any files that were left and deleted them. I still get popups saying tuneup i click has stopped working close the programme. This was a couple of weeks ago and i never took notice of the thing that had stopped working but i think it was host files.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
You can open the HOST file by using notepad

Open/Run notepad as administrator then file open and paste in ... C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

The host file should look like this ...

# Copyright (c) 1993-2006 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost
::1 localhost

nothing else should be in the host ... that is my HOST file I pasted here :nod:

Tuneup Utillites ?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, they make me laugh, fecking bold statements they use, utter tripe. :rolleyes:

CrapCleaner may help cleanup the bad uninstaller of Tripe Utilities, but whatever it "fixed" for you, will not be unfixed.

Vista has, and can, repair itself ... boot using the Vista DVD, choose the “Repair your computer” option on the lower left hand side. :thumb:

To repair windows Vista the easy way simply hit the windows start button on the bottom left and in the search box type RESTORE ... ;) just select system restore and then the date you would like to restore your computer back to. Go back to a date when your computer was functioning just fine.

The dates you can revert back to will be in bold. Just select the date and hit next. Follow the simple on screen prompts and you will be good to go.

:user:

Reaction score
Thanks for te help. I'll give your suggestions a try and if theres no joy i'll post again.

Ask a Question