Unable to FTP on LAN after dialup disconnect

G

I have a very small LAN - three stations. One workstation has Internet access via dialup. I transfer files to/from this workstation within the LAN via FTP.

FTP works fine until after I close a dialup session. Then, when I try an FTP connection to one of the workstations on the LAN (either via IE or Network Connections), I get this error:
FTP Folder Error - Windows cannot access the folder. Make sure you typed the file name correctly and that you have permission to access the folder. Details: Computer is disconnected from the network

I still have LAN IP connectivity (ping and ftp both work from the command-line). How can I get GUI FTP to work locally when Windows thinks it is in offline mode?

P.S. Don't tell me to use file sharing or net use - the other two stations are a Sun and a MAC, and I am not quite ready to tackle Samba or Timbuktu... :)

S

Steve N.

Brian said:
I have a very small LAN - three stations. One workstation has
Internet access via dialup. I transfer files to/from this workstation
within the LAN via FTP.

FTP works fine until after I close a dialup session. Then, when I try
an FTP connection to one of the workstations on the LAN (either via
IE or Network Connections), I get this error: FTP Folder Error -
Windows cannot access the folder. Make sure you typed the file name
correctly and that you have permission to access the folder.
Details: Computer is disconnected from the network

I still have LAN IP connectivity (ping and ftp both work from the
command-line). How can I get GUI FTP to work locally when Windows
thinks it is in offline mode?

P.S. Don't tell me to use file sharing or net use - the other two
stations are a Sun and a MAC, and I am not quite ready to tackle
Samba or Timbuktu... :)

Have you tried hard-coding IP addresses, netmask and gateway on the Mac
and Sun machines?

Steve

G

All IP addressing is already static for all three stations. I also put entries in the hosts file so that I can use "Sun" and "MAC" instead of the IP address. It fails either way, however, after the user hangs up the dialup Internet connection.

The issue remains that I can get an ftp connection to either station from the command line at the same time the GUI FTP is failing to connect. The users' solution before I was called in was to go to "Add Network Place" and recreate the FTP connection.

I think the problem here has to do with how Windows interprets or reacts to "Offline" mode, which is where it ends up when the dialup is disconnected.

Ask a Question