Unable to access DNS names

Matt Maynard

I'm setting up a new PC for our work network. It's running Win2k SP4 and
cannot see the network. I can't see anything in Computers Near Me, and
unless I know an ip address I can't ping anyone (inside or outside the
network). DHCP is turned on and I can release/renew the address using
ipconfig. The DNS addresses are assigned from the DHCP server and I can ping
both servers. nslookup returns the following:

C:\>nslookup yahoo.com
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Can't find server name for address 207.108.112.1: Timed out
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Can't find server name for address 204.147.80.5: Timed out
*** Default servers are not available
Server: UnKnown
Address: 207.108.112.1

DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Request to UnKnown timed-out

Any ideas on how I can get this computer to see the outside world?

Rakesh Chanana [MSFT]

Are you able to ping the two DNS servers that you are using (207.108.112.1
and 204.147.80.5)? I tested and was able to ping both these servers (by IP
address) and was able to resolve various names using these two servers.

If you are able to ping these addresses, then check that the router or
firewall or whatever is the intermediate device to your connection to the
internet is not blocking common ports such as UDP 53 and TCP 53 for DNS,
TCP 80 for HTTP, etc.

----
Thanks,
Rakesh Chanana [MSFT]

When replying, please post to GROUP so that everyone can benefit from the
knowledge.

Matt Maynard

Thanks, that did the trick. I had blocked access to the UDP ports, and
removing that block allowed things to work. Under what circumstances should
UDP ports be blocked?

Matt

Rakesh Chanana [MSFT]

I don't think there's a reason to block UDP ports for common services such
as DNS. You may not want to open up all UDP ports because of internet
security issues. For example, tftp uses UDP and tftp is sometimes used in
internet hacking attempts.
----

From: "Matt Maynard" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking