UMax Astra 2200 and Windows XP

webmanoffesto

I installed Windows XP and now my
Umax Astra 2200 doesn't work. I get the below message from Windows.

I still have the CD that came with the scanner. It says Astra Scanners
Version 2.52S, VistaScan 3.52. I see on UMax's website that I can buy a new
disk, for $15. I don't think I should have to pay for the disk (which may
not even solve my problem) just to get a scanner I already paid for working.

In my searching I found this link but it doesn't work:
ftp://ftp.umax.co.uk/pc/umax/scanners/vs352su/vs352suall.zip

Windows message:
UMAX VistaScan Scanner
UMAX

Issue Description:

A driver is installed that causes stability problems with your system. This
driver will be disabled. Please contact the driver manufacturer for an
update that is compatible with this version of Windows.

Contact Information:

Umax Web site: http://www.umax.com/
Telephone: (510) 651-4000 (North America only)

Mac McDougald

I installed Windows XP and now my
Umax Astra 2200 doesn't work. I get the below message from Windows.

I still have the CD that came with the scanner. It says Astra Scanners
Version 2.52S, VistaScan 3.52. I see on UMax's website that I can buy a new
disk, for $15. I don't think I should have to pay for the disk (which may
not even solve my problem) just to get a scanner I already paid for working.

In my searching I found this link but it doesn't work:
ftp://ftp.umax.co.uk/pc/umax/scanners/vs352su/vs352suall.zip

http://www.umax.co.uk/support/default.htm

Use the Driver Download link in the big blue rectangle.

Goes to German site for download but versions are in English.
Pick your scanner and XP.
You want VistaScan 3.55u and the XP updater, both downloads on same page.

Mac

Nash

last year i purchased a Dell XP Home PC and followed a post I found on
Google to get my Umax 2200 working.
My Umax 2200 works with my XP Home version. The transparency adapter works
as well. The post is below.

Doug

=====

From: Alan H. ([email protected])
Subject: UMAX Astra 2200 and XP - here's how.
Original Format
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
Date: 2002-09-14 10:00:08 PST

I was finally able to get my UMAX Astra 2200 to work with Microsoft
Windows XP Pro. Here's what you need to do:

1) Get the latest version of Vistascan which includes the drivers
(v3.55). You can buy them on CD from the US UMAX website or you can go
to http://www.umax.co.uk/support/default.htm and download them for
free. You need the one called "VistaScan 355u" and (maybe) "Updater
for Windows XP". More about that later.

2) Run the "VistaScan 355u" program which will unzip some files. Write
down the location of the unzipped files.

3) Either open the file after unzipping it or go to the location of
the unzipped files and find the folder "DISK 1". Inside that folder
click on VSSETUP.exe. The installer will run. Restart the computer.

4) Now try to do a test scan. It will still fail because XP is still
using the Windows UMAX driver instead of the one you just downloaded.
We'll solve that next. In the device manager right-click onthe UMAX
2200 under "Imaging Devices" and choose "Update Driver".

5) Choose "Install from a list .... (Advanced)."

6) Choose "Don't search, I will choose the driver to install".

7) The next window will show two identical looking driver names. Both
are "UMAX Astra 2200 (USB)". Notice at the bottom of the window, a
message about driver signing. If your setup is like mine, the first
driver is the Microsoft one and the message will say that it is a
signed driver (meaning it is certified by Microsoft). You need the
OTHER one that gives you the warning "This driver is not digitally
signed". Highlight that one and click "Next".

8) You'll get a big box warning you of the dire consequences of using
this unsigned driver. Click "continue anyway".

9) You'll eventually get a message that XP can't find the file
"PV8630.sys". This file is located in the folder "DISK 6\U12X0" with
the other unzipped files. Tell XP to use that location. Use the search
utility to find it if necessary.

10) Now your UMAX 2200 USB will work. You don't have to reboot. If you
have the VistaAcess icon in your system tray, it will still have the
red circle and line through it indicating it doesn't work, but if you
right click on it, you can still choose scanner test and the test will
work this time. YAY!!!!

About the XP updater that you downloaded from the UMAX site: I don't
think it's necessary to run it, but I'm not sure. The reason is that
during my search for an answer to this problem, I ran both installers
several times and uninstalled them several times. I DID NOT run it
again after doing the above steps. So try it without. Then if it still
doesn't work, run the XP updater.

It worked for me! Good luck!

Alan