Turning off the computer without Windows.

Frank Martin

Can I turn off my computer at the main switch
without going through the Windows method?

I have Windows XP.

When I shut down the normal way the computer
starts up again all by itself, and I have
tried all fixes without success.

If I wait for the HDD light to stop flashing
would it be OK to turn off the power then?
I'm desperate.

Alternatively, can I isolate the HDD and
other critical components by using the
WindowsXP software before throwing the power
switch?

Please help, Frank.

sgopus

You should check in your bios to ensure that your setting referring to ACPI
operating system is enabled, this is what allows for windows to shut down the
pc, software wise. it's pretty much safe to power off the pc, when you see
the bios flash on the monitor, you wouldn't want to just drop power while in
windows as this could cause problems (I'm speaking from experience) my ex did
this and it caused the OS to get hosed, I wound up having to do a reinstall.

Frank Martin

Thanks. The only time I see the "bios flash
on the monitor" (the black & white only
screen) is when the computer starts up.
Should I shut it down via Windows and then
shut off the power switch when the bios
flashes on the subsequent startup?
Frank

"sgopus" <[email protected]>

Onsokumaru

Most computers will shut down if you hold the on/off switch for four
seconds.

When you see the boot screen, the black and white text, it won't affect
windows. Windows hasn't loaded at this point.

So basically as soon as windows shuts down and the screen goes blank it is
safe to turn off the power either at the switch or using the four second
method I mention.

Another way would be to hit the pause/break key when the PC is booting, or
even enter the BIOS setup. This halts the boot process, then there is no
rush.

HeyBub

Frank said:
Can I turn off my computer at the main switch
without going through the Windows method?

Turning off your computer by using the power switch is similar to stopping
your car by hitting a tree.

If the brakes on your car don't work, hitting the tree may be the only
technique, but it would certainly be better to fix the brakes.

I don't know the solution to your "brake" problem, but I encourage you to
follow that path rather than depending on the tree method.

shanky

Turning off your computer by using the power switch is similar to stopping
your car by hitting a tree.

If the brakes on your car don't work, hitting the tree may be the only
technique, but it would certainly be better to fix the brakes.

I don't know the solution to your "brake" problem, but I encourage you to
follow that path rather than depending on the tree method.

Hii Frank
The answer is a Big No
Because it will corrupt ur Operating system
and u will have to reinstall XP

shanky

Turning off your computer by using the power switch is similar to stopping
your car by hitting a tree.

If the brakes on your car don't work, hitting the tree may be the only
technique, but it would certainly be better to fix the brakes.

I don't know the solution to your "brake" problem, but I encourage you to
follow that path rather than depending on the tree method.

You can hold the CPU button for minutes and ur pc will turn off.
This solution will be OK if the computer hangs or if there is a
deadlock