Trouble connecting w2k and wxp-pro computers over wireless

G

I administer a network of 50+ computers located in 3 buildings. Two of the buildings are connected via optic fiber and switches to the server and cable modem. All computers located in these building work fine

The third building is connected via wireless link across the parking lot. SOME of these computers seem to connect correctly EVERY time. Others have difficulty or will not connect

All computers are set to be assigned an IP address; some are set to automatically find a DNS server automatically while others have it set to search for a specific one. There is no particular pattern here, though I normally select to find DNS automatically first, and if there is a problem, then I will try assigning a specific one.

When I run ipconfig /all, every computer seems to have identical settings. If I run ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew, the settings are coming across the wireless connection correctly and the computer is getting an IP address assigned properly. However, they then don't like to connect to the domain. I can ping other computers, printer, etc., in that same building with no problem. I can ping both sides of the wireless, but I can NOT ping the server, even though it apparently was the computer that assigned the IP address.

If computers are shut down or laptops unplugged from the network, they will sometimes come back up correctly, but most of the time will not. However, after sitting turned on for a while, some of them will.

When I set up the network, some of the computers with XP Pro found the domain first time and every time. Some I tried many times at random, and then one day they would work. Others I've tried many, many times and have not gotten a connection at all

Any ideas

Thanks

Brian

G

Brian

I would suspect an authentication issue of some kind. I have found that these types of problems occur in networks (hardwired) when there is confusion about routes to domain controllers, networking problems, dns problems. In order of what I would look for

do you have these problems with the hardwired computers on the network
what is the wireless signal strength ? If low that might be the root of your proble
where is the domain controller located ? is there any special routing (different logical routing) of the wireless network versus the balance of the network ? Check your wireless router for this

I think you might find some results with this

Good luck

Ask a Question