Trojan Horse

Reaction score
hello I am running Norton antivirus 2003 on win xp pro. i keep recieving a message telling me that i have a trojan horse called c:\mail.exe. norton is unable to repair this file. when i try to manually delete it, it tells me that acces is denied: make sure the disk is not full or write protected. anyoone know an answer? let me know thanks

Reaction score
If the above suggestions do not work for you... you might want to try locating it in the System Registry Editor. You can do a "search" to find the specific file.

MAKE SURE that you have your system restore turned off before going into the System Registry and REMOVE any values that are associated with this entry.

PS- The system Registry can be access by going to the START menu and clicking on "RUN" then typing "REGEDIT".

Good Luck!!!

Reaction score
Agreed

Very True ;) If you don't do it correctly!

Attachments

• wedge copy.gif
    wedge copy.gif
    16.1 KB · Views: 331
Reaction score
Hello guys,
I have WinXP Home Edition SP1 and the same thing happened to me. I got a message from NAV saying that it couldn't delete it, so I ran a normal scan AND in safe mode, and it didn't find anything :confused: . I also looked in the registry and it didn't find anything associated with C:\mail.exe
Any ideas?

Thx!

Reaction score
Sorry.. No hope from me here.. what you could try though is just typing in C:\mail.exe into a search engine... see what comes up... ohh and if you subscribe to Norton.. send them an e-mail if your search isnt fruitful..

Someone else here may have a better idea than me though... Hope that helps

Reaction score
Yeah, I already tried typing it in a search engine and nothing came up. I'll e-mail them.

Thanks

Reaction score
Turn System Restore off. Then scan again.

If that doesn't work, try booting in Safe Mode. Scan again, it should get rid of it.

Reaction score
try to delete it manually and wen it says acces denied. open up ur task manager and try end tasking processes that you think that wasnt there before or that look suspicious. after u end task quickly delete the file, usually that works for me. its always good to write down ur processes on ur task manager wen ur computer is virus free so then wen u hav a virus you'll know what's suppose to be there and what not.

Reaction score
que tal, lei su mensaje, el problema lo encontre en mi pc cuando se actualizo el norton, por fin me detecto el archivo con el verdadero virus

Hi, I found how to fix the virus, when my norton was updated, it detects the real file name with the virus

ubicacion de archivo (file location)

c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Datos de programa\SecTaskMan

Nombre de archivos (files with the virus):

mail.exe.q_29001_q.exe
mail.exe.q_29001_q.ini

primero, desinstale el programa de norton antivirus 2003, luego los bloquee con norton en safe mode, saludos

first, uninstall the other norton 2003 from windows, init safe mode and blok the file usin norton, delete the ini file, regards

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
This thread is 6 months old so i should hope nortons have come up with a solution by now....:rolleyes:

Ask a Question