Tons of Viruses from 64.58.197.250

_insert_email_here_

Are other people getting bombarded with viruses from 64.58.197.250

Arin.net shows this as :
-----
Citicom Online Communication Services CITICOM-BLK-1
(NET-64-58-192-0-1)
64.58.192.0 - 64.58.223.255
Pasco Cogen Facility CITIBLK-COGEN
-----

I have been averaging about 7 per day, and ALL of them are coming from
64.58.197.250. Each one has a different fake name / email address.
Each one contains a different virus. Some are 'zip, .doc .pif and one
was just a .txt ???? (I assume that one was not a virus).

Anyhow, I just trash them, but I have been copying the headers into
notepad and saving them.

I contacted (e-mail address removed) (I think that's what it was), and my
email was returned. My own email provider has only replied with
automated replies, so I am not sure what is going on.
What is really strange, is that I have gotten a few messages saying
that "I sent a virus" to (e-mail address removed) ....

First off, I never emailed anyone with the name that was used, or even
anyone in that state.

Secondly, I have scanned for viruses and have none, and even ran the
special software for scanning for MYDOOM. I have no viruses !!!!

Thirdly, This is a WEB BASED email account. So, unless I actually
download these viruses, nothing can happen, so it looks like my email
provider could be the only one that could have the virus.

Yet, It appears someone has hijacked my email. Could this be true?

CAN ANYONE MAKE ANY SENSE OF ALL OF THIS, PLEASE.......
Are YOU getting bombarded from this site?

Thanks to all of you !!!

Below is a complete header from one of these messages, except I
modified my_email_address and my_email_provider in it. This message
contained ALL ascii garbage. Others are totally blank, and only have
the virus at the end.

From: (e-mail address removed) <[email protected]>
To: my_email_address@my_email_provider.com
Date: Friday, January 30, 2004 11:16 am
Subject: hi

Ä$Í7ØÞ·þ£káôCÌ? uíÉÕ‹6¡)nUZdGìâä,5æjÓS¹Ìö
k¾r¤VŸÖ¹ú#e:A^6ýú´$8Ñ„ÏyY»¯Ipd8
®pG0g½Ö!©S8“0—
ùó78j¿Yµ¹g#Ð5`™ÆŸØl*Sè
fx
“ãüD(é;­?^~?'Ì
}D§ç9ÄÏ™’ïÊM¤?DÞJ1Mv]H;?qãžœZÄÅœ…];F&åªOüôHl•æÍé‡8á³ÏÌK¨ížösfoЋ*28Y÷ŽrB!t^(0<œuaØ%D“k‰Ý?Y¦Ê}|µž‡þ¢øïî

<<<segments of garbage removed>>>

Text version of this message. (2KB)
doc.zip (29KB)

jafar

It resolves as
adsl-v90-rgilber1.citicom.com
It just looks like some poor sod who's computer has been used to spread
the virus.

D McAuliffe

Are other people getting bombarded with viruses from 64.58.197.250

Not "bombarded" from that IP, but like clockwork from a single infected
computer, Between 7:30 and 8:00am since Wed, 1/28 a new round is sent out
(My Doom).
Each one has a different fake name / email address.

Meaning not from the infected user, or not real altogether? You should be
getting both types with your volume.
I contacted (e-mail address removed) (I think that's what it was), and my
email was returned. My own email provider has only replied with
automated replies, so I am not sure what is going on.

Trying sending (not forwarding the infected mail) to (e-mail address removed)
include full headers and a short note that one of their clients may be
infected. Just a freindly heads-up.
What is really strange, is that I have gotten a few messages saying
that "I sent a virus" to (e-mail address removed) ....

First off, I never emailed anyone with the name that was used, or even
anyone in that state.
Yet, It appears someone has hijacked my email. Could this be true?

?? Your getting bomdarded, therefore your email is in infected machine(s),
wouldn't it be a high probability that your address would be used as the
faked From at some point?
From: (e-mail address removed) <[email protected]>

The prefix, most likely, is generated by the code and the suffix is taken
from the infected machine in this example.
doc.zip (29KB)

I haven't gotten this one yet. Readme.zip seems to be popular with me.

See http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_100983.htm for further info.
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dave McAuliffe

_insert_email_here_

It resolves as
adsl-v90-rgilber1.citicom.com
It just looks like some poor sod who's computer has been used to spread
the virus.

I am a little confused about this.
Is rgilber1 the actual individual person (user) at citicom.com?
Does that mean their email address is: (e-mail address removed)?

No, I am not planning to email them, just asking and trying to learn
how this works.

Thanks

anuspraeter

adsl-v90-rgilber1
this 'adsl-v90-rgilber1' is the name of the computer in the network
'citicom' in the topleveldomain 'com'. it is possible,that the email
(e-mail address removed) existst, but it not very likely