To Tug Hearts, Music First Must Tickle the Brain!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
This article which appeared in New York Times is a very interesting read and I thought I should share this with friends and members of PC Review for an insight into music and its interaction with the Neurons

The article

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
That's a very interesting article, Quad. The brain is, indeed, a fascinating organ.

I was watching a TV programme last night about George Martin (producer of Beatles music and much, much more.) Ringo Starr jokingly suggested that Martin's work with music was just like being on drugs. Martin thought about for a few seconds and then, very seriously, suggested that he was quite right!

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
A very interesting article indeed Quad. I also found the interactive tracks interesting and my results were as follows:

Without any cheating, in the first experiment I chose the human version. But, in the second, I found that I'd chosen the 50% version.

In the Randomness test, I again chose the human; in the final test, I again chose the human.
:thumb:

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Interesting. I picked them "hunnert-per-cent-humans" without any hesitation or flipism.

Then again, I do listen piano music deep, wide and often. :p

Bottom line: music is "a language", musicians are telling us stories. And, after several decades' worth of exposure to music, our wee brain cells alarm us when something is "off".

Cf. written languages... here is "English":

[SIZE=+2]T[/SIZE]ime upon a once, a tried computer to story a write. It words confused, shallow characters had, the plot fouled, and incorporated theme never. Realized finally it, "computer-generated art" was oxymoron an.

Not a perfect analogy... one with weird punctuation (in writing) or weird emphasis (in speech) might make more sense, but...

Ask a Question