Time Lapse

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Has anyone tried taking a time lapse shot with their camera before (i.e of the Sun setting)? I didn't think my camera could do this, but I've just figured I can put it onto burst mode and then piece together all the images into a movie :lol:

I can't really test it yet as I don't have a tripod to keep the camera facing towards where the sun sets - but it does seem possible :nod:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I'll just use movie-mode, can take 30mins of video on one card. ;)

:D

... and I have a tripod

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Show off ;) :D

Have you taken any good ones to far? :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I haven't tried it yet, don't even know if either of my two cameras can do that thing.

On my Nikon compact, the Coolpix S500, it takes 30 minutes of video with sound at the highest resolution, which is 640 mp wide, on a 2Gb memory card. The quality is quite acceptable, even better than some of the cheaper camcorders imo, so I guess I could take a sunset movie too.

Mind you, I wouldn't want to watch that for thirty minutes :D

Speeded up a bit is good though, say, to about two or three minutes.

I have a tripod too, which is what I use for 'Flops' Travels'. Got it from RS, very pleased with it :)

I really should spend more time with my cameras, I don't know the half of what they're capable of :blush:

Reaction score
I dont think you can do that on a D50 - but i'd love to! I could set up my camera on a tripod and just press the remote every so often...

Would be cool to try!!

Reaction score
what kind of camera do you guys have? my ex-camera (a canon s3IS) has a time-interval feature that i, come to think of it, never used. however, if you do go about this, make sure that you have your camera on a sturdy tripod at full manual: manual exposure, manual focus, manual everything - and then you can setup the intervals. that way, you can expect what kind of time-lapse "stop-motion" you'll get.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
My Cannon Poweshot S1 IS can take 100 shots at 1 to 60 minute intervals though I have never used the facility . I have never read the manual which is 180 pages long either
laughingsmiley.gif

Try this site for very good info on cameras with sample pics and movies taken with the cameras .

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/s1is.html

happywave.gif

Ask a Question