Third Party Kernel - Q327516

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by Nayef Mauge, Oct 29, 2006.

  1. Nayef Mauge

    Nayef Mauge Guest

    When trying to restore corrupted files on my drive and used the windows CD
    setup disk, the following message appeared :-

    Setup cannot upgrade due to third-party kernel.

    Windows has detected that one or more protected core system files (kernel)
    on your computer have been modified. The Service Pack contains updated
    versions of those files, which work to provide a stable environment for your
    programs. Due to this modification, the Service Pack will not be installed.
    For more information, see Knowledge Base article Q327516 at
    http://support.microsoft.com.

    Googling around and finding anything about Q327516 did not help at all. It
    seems so many people are facing a problem with this issue.

    Need to eliminiate that corrupted driver or file from the system in order to
    restore the corrupted files.

    Any help appreciated.

    Nayef Mauge, Oct 29, 2006

  2. Nayef Mauge

    DatabaseBen Guest

    My simple search came up with results in Russian or something..
    You probably got a boot virus.

    In consideration for my last response in a prior post from you,
    I think that you should simply go buy a new harddrive, small and
    cheap but it is your preference. Then install it as the master and
    put a functional o.s.
    on the new harddrive. Afterwards install the disfuntional hd as
    the slave and operate on it from your functional hd/os.

    I would not suggest to install the harddrive on a different computer
    because it might have undesireable affects on a functional pc.

    If and when you do get a secondary o.s. operational and you
    have full access to the disfunctional o.s., give us a post so that
    we can provide some help or tools that will be useful.

    Otherwise, as you have found, there have been no specific solutions
    to address this exact issue.

    DatabaseBen, Oct 29, 2006

  3. Nayef Mauge

    DatabaseBen Guest

    i did a little more research
    and found issues with the driver
    amoung latin and russion countries

    I also looked here
    http://aumha.org/win4/kbhrdwar.htm
    and microsoft.com and there is
    no mention of that kb. My guesss
    is that there never was such a kb at
    microsoft.com

    the error message is like a roose
    and is sending you on a wild goose chase
    i don't think it is a virus, but a corrupted
    driver still being passed around with
    old software or something...

    sorry, but it sounds like your options
    are very limited....

    hope the prior responses has helped....

    DatabaseBen, Oct 29, 2006
  4. Nayef Mauge

    Nayef Mauge Guest

    Finally, it seems that the problem is solved by running

    the following commands. I managed to get the system

    back in order, except for the mcafee software whereby

    still the problem exists, upon starting mcafee installer

    a blank screen is shown still.

    regsvr32 jscript

    regsvr32 vbscript

    regsvr32 /i mshtml

    Thanks for the help and much apprciated your

    concern and help

    The System Restore

    Nayef Mauge, Oct 29, 2006
  5. Nayef Mauge

    DatabaseBen Guest

    i'm glad you found.
    now, stop whatever you are doing and
    make disk images for the future.

    also, there has bee some issues between mcafee
    and that wga notification update and creates
    systems disfunction.

    i'm sure more is on the net...

    DatabaseBen, Oct 29, 2006
  6. Nayef Mauge

    Rea1ity

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2007
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Fontana, CA USA
    Now I am having this trouble, and I found the solution by searching for the text of the error message, rather than the KB#, at Microsoft's web site.

    The URL for the New KB article is: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/327101
    With a little line which reads: "This article was previously published under Q327101"

    It states:
    "This behavior may occur if your computer has a modified version of the Ntoskrnl.exe file that uses the /KERNEL switch in the Boot.ini file. This condition may exist because your computer has a third-party program installed that customizes the graphics that are displayed when your computer starts up. Third-party programs that can cause this condition include the following: •BootXP•LogonUI Boot Randomizer

    They go on to describe how to uninstall the offending program, rather than explaining that you can simply choose to boot to your original OS (from the OS Choices menu), or at the very least disable the program from starting during the session in which you want to do the update.

    Hope this helps any future victims who happen to land here looking for help.

    Rea1ity, Mar 24, 2007