The Sony Playstation 4 Thread!

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
PS4 pre ordered through blockbusters the other day. Sold out of pre orders everywhere so i was lucky! Gonna be an expensive day of release. I want destiny, killzone, watch dogs and more than likely another pad. Bye bye £500 at the very least :-/

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Enjoy Reefsmoka :thumb:.

I'm very very very tempted, but I think I'm going to hold off for a few months and see how the consoles compare in the flesh - although I suspect it's the PS4 I'll go for too.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
As much as i want one, or the XBOne, I have and will resist temptation to pre order either. Shall igve it a few months til the bugs have been ironed out and the hype has died down.

I have GTA5 on pre order for the 360 (Yes, 360, god knows how long its going to be before we see it on PC) that shall keep me busy for a while! :D

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Ps4 had the release date announced, 29th November for europe the lucky yanks get it on the 15th November

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Full launch window lineup so far:

Blu-ray and PS Store Digital Download:

Assassin's Creed Black Flag
Battlefield 4
Call of Duty: Ghosts
Driveclub
FIFA 14
Just Dance 2014
Killzone: Shadow Fall
Knack
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes
Madden NFL 25
NBA 2K14
NBA LIVE
Need for Speed: Rivals
Skylanders: Swap Force
Watch Dogs

Digital Download only:

Basement Crawl
Blacklight
Contrast
Counterspy
DC Universe
Doki-Doki Universe
Flower
Hohokum
Minecraft
N++
Pinball Arcade
Planetside 2
Pool Nation Extreme
ResoGun
Super Motherload
Tiny Brains
War Thunder
Warframe

http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/20/4641120/playstation-4-will-have-33-games-by-the-end-of-the-year

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Well Blockbusters going into administration has messed up my PS4 launch day fun as my pre-order wont be honoured now :-( . I've pre ordered through shop to but I'd be suprised to see it by Christmas.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Lame, i wondered if I'd seen someone say they had PO'ed from BB on here.... Sucks dude. :(

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Zavvi are still offering day one pre orders and so are shopto so i chose shopto as they seem to be reliable. The stock that shoulda gone blockbuster had to go somewhere

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Me PS4 finally arrived at around 4:30pm! I took the day off work as well, what a waste.

First impressions of the console itself is that it's the best looking console on the market without a doubt. It feels like the cheapest console on the market too, it's so light it feels like an empty box. I prefer a nice solid feel like a PS3 or 360.

The new DS4 (dual shock 4 controller) is so nice, it's completely revamped from the DS3. It really feels like quality when holding the pad at least.

When I hooked the PS4 up and turned the power on at the mains I had a shiver down my spine as nothing happened, no lights, no sound just nothing just a silent lowley "useless" PS4. I thought the console was dead on arrival. I looked for a power switch on the console itself as the PS3 has one at the back and I couldnt find a bean :(. I tried a different plug socket and still nothing. Then I tried hooking up the pad via usb to console to see if it would come to life and still nothing. I punched the floor so hard I thought I broke my hand in anger. I read the instructions and they were no help. Then I googled and found theres a power button on the front of the console that I'd missed in my hurry to get the beast going. Alas it sprang to life!

The set-up was rather brisk, took a mere 2 minutes to get to the home screen then I was prompted with a must have update so I thought here we go,downloading a 300+mb file from the Playstation network on the European launch day, its never going to happen! To my amazement it downloaded in around 1 minute! I couldn't believe my eyes. It also installed fine and back to the home screen I was :)

Tried signing into the PSN (Playstation Network) at around 5pm and couldnt because of too much network traffic and have been trying ever since and still cant get on 2 hours later :(.

I had a quick blast of Killzone and loved every second of it. The graphics are actually amazing, but holding a proper control pad again in the living room is just liberating compared to sitting at a desk with a mouse and keyboard.

I'll keep you updated to how it goes as I'm planning an all nighter :blush:

20131129_152753.jpg

20131129_154843.jpg

20131129_154849.jpg

I have sorted the cable management now, those pictures were took when it 1st come to life after changing plugs and what-not ;)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Good times mate, after your Blockbuster wows and the fact that i've read lots of horror stories about the blinking blue light and such i'm glad your up and running. :)

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
As soon as i saw made in china on the box i instantly thought it would be broken, touch wood its been flawles.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Looking good RS :)

Were I to buy one of the new gen consoles it would definitely be the PS4.

I didn't know anything about that blue light of death but on doing a little reading Sony say they expect 0.4% of PS4's to be faulty on arrival, which actually equates to 4000 potentially bad consoles that have been sold.

But it also means there are 96,000 good ones.

Keep us posted, if it's not too much bother let us know what you think of any games you've played, I for one am very interested.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I've put around 4 hours into Killzone so far and am loving it. Its got the usual characteristic sluggish controls like all other Killzone games but I'm so used to it from Killzone 2 that it doesn't hold the game back for me.

The graphics of Killzone are phenomenal, my PC couldn't churn out textures and details that nice, no way! It doesn't drop frames per second like I'm used to with PC games either.

I signed up to PS Plus for 1 year which costs £40. It sounds expensive but last year I think you got £300+ worth of free content on your PS3 through PS Plus which was mainly games. When I signed up to PS Plus I got Resogun and Contrast free which are 2 full games. I'm pretty sure PS Plus is basically a must have like Xbox live member ship to be able to play online.

I've played Resogun for around 30 minutes and its brilliant pick up and play fun. Its just like Stardust from the PS3 but instead of sphere shaped levels there just cylindrical. The graphics are also brill on that, but not ground breaking like Killzone.

The console itself is dead silent, I've read people saying its loud but when I'm on my sofa and the consoles at the TV I cant hear the console at all over the TV and I was playing at 11pm with volume low to not wake up Theodore.

The dashboard of the PS4 is so fast and fluid, navigating through menus and apps is strange as its literally instant, I'm not used to that! Also while playing a game if you tap the PS button on the controller it takes you straight to the dashboard instantly and I mean instantly. You can't change the background or theme though which is annoying as its just a boring blue.

People say it was a weak launch lineup but there was plenty of top notch games on the day. Killzone, Assasins Creed 4, Fifa 14, Battlefield 4, Call of Duty: Ghosts, Resogun and maybe Knack. I say maybe for Knack as it looks good from videos but got poor reviews and I'm yet to stick it in the PS4 due to Killzone!

What is strange at the moment is that out of all the next gen consoles the Wii U has the strongest game lineup by miles. I know its been out a lot longer but the PS4 and Xbone have both been in development for along time too! Its horrible not buy Super Mario 3D world for my Wii U as I havent got time to play Wii U and PS4 :(. Super Mario 3D world has got crazy good reviews 10/10's on most review sites.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Update:

Killzone is still great, Resogun is getting better (though why am I playing space invaders on a PS4?) and I finally tried Knack. Hot damn Knack is cack. I cant believe I bought it, its a terrible game. I have a Wii U sitting there with no Super Mario 3D World because I bought Knack! I should be beaten to within an inch of my life with a 1up mushroom for buying Knack instead of Mario.

If you buy a PS4 do yourself a favour and steer clear of Knack. Its just so basic, boring, repetitive, dumb, slow and considering its on the PS4 its hardly good looking either. Its one of the worst adventure/platform games I've ever had the displeasure of playing. It's rather difficult for one due to it being so slow and clunky, it feels like your controlling a 500 ton mega mining machine, slow turning, slow jumping and even slower combat. It's so linear its beyond a joke, just run in straight lines, no adventure what so ever to be fair. The enemies are just dumb and boring, a Pac-Man ghost has better Ai.

Rant over

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Completed Killzone on medium difficulty. It was above average but a little bit off great. Far too linear for my liking but not on the same linear boat as COD/BF. I've only played a little bit of online (1 game against a proper noob which was pointless). I Loved Killzone 2 online, got quite addicted to it, very different to call of dutys fast pace, its much more of a team effort.

Want Assassins creed as it's supposed to look better on PS4 than anything else, people in the PS4 forum say its better than there £2000+ PC's with 780ti's. Obviously that's only down to it being coded towards console over PC, but still nice to see.

Ask a Question