Thailand floods and Seagate HD prices

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by Percival P. Cassidy, Nov 2, 2011.

  1. A few weeks ago 2TB Seagate Barracuda XT bare drives were $130 at
    NewEgg; by the end of last week they were $250. But on Saturday I bought
    the retail version of the same drive at the Chicago-area Fry's for $160
    (limit one per customer).

    Two weeks ago I bought a retail-package 2TB Barracuda LP at Best Buy for
    $100; this week the regular price is shown as $90, and they are on sale
    for $75 -- and they do price adjustments within 30 days. NewEgg no
    longer lists them.

    Those drives are all made in China, but I think that some components or
    sub-assemblies come from the flood-affected factories in Thailand.

    Perce
     
    Percival P. Cassidy, Nov 2, 2011
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. Percival P. Cassidy

    Guest

    On Nov 2, 2:04 pm, "Percival P. Cassidy" <> wrote:
    > A few weeks ago 2TB Seagate Barracuda XT bare drives were $130 at
    > NewEgg; by the end of last week they were $250. But on Saturday I bought
    > the retail version of the same drive at the Chicago-area Fry's for $160
    > (limit one per customer).
    >
    > Two weeks ago I bought a retail-package 2TB Barracuda LP at Best Buy for
    > $100; this week the regular price is shown as $90, and they are on sale
    > for $75 -- and they do price adjustments within 30 days. NewEgg no
    > longer lists them.
    >
    > Those drives are all made in China, but I think that some components or
    > sub-assemblies come from the flood-affected factories in Thailand.
    >
    > Perce


    2 weeks ago I bought a 2TB WD drive for £79.99. Yesterday they were
    about £120, both at PC World. Online prices looked similar.

    Michael
    www.cnwrecovery.com
     
    , Nov 2, 2011
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. Percival P. Cassidy

    Rod Speed Guest

    wrote
    > Percival P. Cassidy <> wrote


    >> A few weeks ago 2TB Seagate Barracuda XT bare drives were
    >> $130 at NewEgg; by the end of last week they were $250. But
    >> on Saturday I bought the retail version of the same drive at the
    >> Chicago-area Fry's for $160 (limit one per customer).


    >> Two weeks ago I bought a retail-package 2TB Barracuda LP
    >> at Best Buy for $100; this week the regular price is shown as
    >> $90, and they are on sale for $75 -- and they do price adjustments
    >> within 30 days. NewEgg no longer lists them.


    >> Those drives are all made in China, but I think that some components
    >> or sub-assemblies come from the flood-affected factories in Thailand.


    > 2 weeks ago I bought a 2TB WD drive for £79.99. Yesterday they
    > were about £120, both at PC World. Online prices looked similar.


    I've automated the price check with the 2TB drives I currently buy, the
    Samsung greens and have only seen a $10 jump from $75 to $85 australian.

    I also monitor the 3TB drives waiting to see when they are the best $/GB, they
    are nothing like that yet, and have seen a jump from $149 to $165 with those.

    Those are the best prices available in my country.
     
    Rod Speed, Nov 2, 2011
    #3
  4. Percival P. Cassidy

    Krypsis Guest

    On 3/11/2011 1:04 AM, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
    > A few weeks ago 2TB Seagate Barracuda XT bare drives were $130 at
    > NewEgg; by the end of last week they were $250. But on Saturday I bought
    > the retail version of the same drive at the Chicago-area Fry's for $160
    > (limit one per customer).
    >
    > Two weeks ago I bought a retail-package 2TB Barracuda LP at Best Buy for
    > $100; this week the regular price is shown as $90, and they are on sale
    > for $75 -- and they do price adjustments within 30 days. NewEgg no
    > longer lists them.
    >
    > Those drives are all made in China, but I think that some components or
    > sub-assemblies come from the flood-affected factories in Thailand.
    >
    > Perce


    After having 3 out of 5 Seagate 1 Terabyte drives die recently, and
    being assured that the remaining 2 will soon suffer a similar fate, I no
    longer buy Seagate drives.

    --

    Krypsis
     
    Krypsis, Nov 2, 2011
    #4
  5. Percival P. Cassidy

    GMAN Guest

    In article <4eb19786$0$13391$>, Krypsis <> wrote:
    >On 3/11/2011 1:04 AM, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
    >> A few weeks ago 2TB Seagate Barracuda XT bare drives were $130 at
    >> NewEgg; by the end of last week they were $250. But on Saturday I bought
    >> the retail version of the same drive at the Chicago-area Fry's for $160
    >> (limit one per customer).
    >>
    >> Two weeks ago I bought a retail-package 2TB Barracuda LP at Best Buy for
    >> $100; this week the regular price is shown as $90, and they are on sale
    >> for $75 -- and they do price adjustments within 30 days. NewEgg no
    >> longer lists them.
    >>
    >> Those drives are all made in China, but I think that some components or
    >> sub-assemblies come from the flood-affected factories in Thailand.
    >>
    >> Perce

    >
    >After having 3 out of 5 Seagate 1 Terabyte drives die recently, and
    >being assured that the remaining 2 will soon suffer a similar fate, I no
    >longer buy Seagate drives.
    >


    You did get the memo about the firmware update to prevent this??????? The
    firmware was released way over a year ago to fix the issues for the 750Gb thru
    the 1.5 TB drives.
     
    GMAN, Nov 3, 2011
    #5
  6. Percival P. Cassidy

    Krypsis Guest

    On 3/11/2011 2:43 PM, GMAN wrote:
    > In article<4eb19786$0$13391$>, Krypsis<> wrote:
    >> On 3/11/2011 1:04 AM, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
    >>> A few weeks ago 2TB Seagate Barracuda XT bare drives were $130 at
    >>> NewEgg; by the end of last week they were $250. But on Saturday I bought
    >>> the retail version of the same drive at the Chicago-area Fry's for $160
    >>> (limit one per customer).
    >>>
    >>> Two weeks ago I bought a retail-package 2TB Barracuda LP at Best Buy for
    >>> $100; this week the regular price is shown as $90, and they are on sale
    >>> for $75 -- and they do price adjustments within 30 days. NewEgg no
    >>> longer lists them.
    >>>
    >>> Those drives are all made in China, but I think that some components or
    >>> sub-assemblies come from the flood-affected factories in Thailand.
    >>>
    >>> Perce

    >>
    >> After having 3 out of 5 Seagate 1 Terabyte drives die recently, and
    >> being assured that the remaining 2 will soon suffer a similar fate, I no
    >> longer buy Seagate drives.
    >>

    >
    > You did get the memo about the firmware update to prevent this??????? The
    > firmware was released way over a year ago to fix the issues for the 750Gb thru
    > the 1.5 TB drives.


    No memo but I found out the bad news from the dealer from whom I
    purchased the drives. After losing the first drive, I contacted Seagate
    and updated the firmware. I was warned by the dealer rep that the fix
    wasn't a guarantee as his experience was that the entire 7200.11 batch
    was faulty and the update merely stopgap. He was right, shortly after
    the update I lost two more. The remaining 2 drives are no longer in a
    raid 5 configuration and are, for want of a better term, spares. They
    will not be used for critical duties.

    Seagate is well and truly off my radar now!

    --

    Krypsis
     
    Krypsis, Nov 3, 2011
    #6
  7. Percival P. Cassidy

    Arno Guest

    Krypsis <> wrote:
    > On 3/11/2011 2:43 PM, GMAN wrote:

    [...]
    >> You did get the memo about the firmware update to prevent this??????? The
    >> firmware was released way over a year ago to fix the issues for the 750Gb thru
    >> the 1.5 TB drives.


    > No memo but I found out the bad news from the dealer from whom I
    > purchased the drives. After losing the first drive, I contacted Seagate
    > and updated the firmware. I was warned by the dealer rep that the fix
    > wasn't a guarantee as his experience was that the entire 7200.11 batch
    > was faulty and the update merely stopgap.


    Interesting. So there is some other mess-up in there as well.

    > He was right, shortly after
    > the update I lost two more. The remaining 2 drives are no longer in a
    > raid 5 configuration and are, for want of a better term, spares. They
    > will not be used for critical duties.


    > Seagate is well and truly off my radar now!


    Unfortunately, they are about to buy the Samsung HDD division.
    And WD will buy the Hitachi Storage Division. Not good.
    And at least for large storage spaces, SSD is not an alternative.

    Arno
    --
    Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email:
    GnuPG: ID: 1E25338F FP: 0C30 5782 9D93 F785 E79C 0296 797F 6B50 1E25 338F
    ----
    Cuddly UI's are the manifestation of wishful thinking. -- Dylan Evans
     
    Arno, Nov 3, 2011
    #7
  8. Percival P. Cassidy

    GMAN Guest

    In article <4eb25301$0$19225$>, Krypsis <> wrote:
    >On 3/11/2011 2:43 PM, GMAN wrote:
    >> In article<4eb19786$0$13391$>,

    > Krypsis<> wrote:
    >>> On 3/11/2011 1:04 AM, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
    >>>> A few weeks ago 2TB Seagate Barracuda XT bare drives were $130 at
    >>>> NewEgg; by the end of last week they were $250. But on Saturday I bought
    >>>> the retail version of the same drive at the Chicago-area Fry's for $160
    >>>> (limit one per customer).
    >>>>
    >>>> Two weeks ago I bought a retail-package 2TB Barracuda LP at Best Buy for
    >>>> $100; this week the regular price is shown as $90, and they are on sale
    >>>> for $75 -- and they do price adjustments within 30 days. NewEgg no
    >>>> longer lists them.
    >>>>
    >>>> Those drives are all made in China, but I think that some components or
    >>>> sub-assemblies come from the flood-affected factories in Thailand.
    >>>>
    >>>> Perce
    >>>
    >>> After having 3 out of 5 Seagate 1 Terabyte drives die recently, and
    >>> being assured that the remaining 2 will soon suffer a similar fate, I no
    >>> longer buy Seagate drives.
    >>>

    >>
    >> You did get the memo about the firmware update to prevent this??????? The
    >> firmware was released way over a year ago to fix the issues for the 750Gb

    > thru
    >> the 1.5 TB drives.

    >
    >No memo but I found out the bad news from the dealer from whom I
    >purchased the drives. After losing the first drive, I contacted Seagate
    >and updated the firmware. I was warned by the dealer rep that the fix
    >wasn't a guarantee as his experience was that the entire 7200.11 batch
    >was faulty and the update merely stopgap. He was right, shortly after
    >the update I lost two more. The remaining 2 drives are no longer in a
    >raid 5 configuration and are, for want of a better term, spares. They
    >will not be used for critical duties.
    >
    >Seagate is well and truly off my radar now!
    >

    The 7200.11 are not enterprise drives and for the life of me i dont
    understand why it suprises you that they fail in a RAID environment.



    http://forums.storagereview.com/index.
    php/topic/29208-how-to-use-desktop-drives-in-raid-without-tlererccctl/


    "Hard drive manufacturers are drawing a distinction between "desktop" grade
    and "enterprise" grade drives. The "desktop" grade drives can take a long time
    (~2 minutes) to respond when they find an error, which causes most RAID
    systems to label them as failed and drop them from the array.

    The solution provided by the manufacturers is for us to purchase the
    "enterprise" grade drives, at twice the cost, which report errors promptly
    enough so that this isn't a problem. This "enterprise" feature is called TLER,
    ERC, and CCTL.
     
    GMAN, Nov 3, 2011
    #8
  9. Percival P. Cassidy

    Krypsis Guest

    On 4/11/2011 5:04 AM, GMAN wrote:
    > In article<4eb25301$0$19225$>, Krypsis<> wrote:
    >> On 3/11/2011 2:43 PM, GMAN wrote:
    >>> In article<4eb19786$0$13391$>,

    >> Krypsis<> wrote:
    >>>> On 3/11/2011 1:04 AM, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
    >>>>> A few weeks ago 2TB Seagate Barracuda XT bare drives were $130 at
    >>>>> NewEgg; by the end of last week they were $250. But on Saturday I bought
    >>>>> the retail version of the same drive at the Chicago-area Fry's for $160
    >>>>> (limit one per customer).
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Two weeks ago I bought a retail-package 2TB Barracuda LP at Best Buy for
    >>>>> $100; this week the regular price is shown as $90, and they are on sale
    >>>>> for $75 -- and they do price adjustments within 30 days. NewEgg no
    >>>>> longer lists them.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Those drives are all made in China, but I think that some components or
    >>>>> sub-assemblies come from the flood-affected factories in Thailand.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Perce
    >>>>
    >>>> After having 3 out of 5 Seagate 1 Terabyte drives die recently, and
    >>>> being assured that the remaining 2 will soon suffer a similar fate, I no
    >>>> longer buy Seagate drives.
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> You did get the memo about the firmware update to prevent this??????? The
    >>> firmware was released way over a year ago to fix the issues for the 750Gb

    >> thru
    >>> the 1.5 TB drives.

    >>
    >> No memo but I found out the bad news from the dealer from whom I
    >> purchased the drives. After losing the first drive, I contacted Seagate
    >> and updated the firmware. I was warned by the dealer rep that the fix
    >> wasn't a guarantee as his experience was that the entire 7200.11 batch
    >> was faulty and the update merely stopgap. He was right, shortly after
    >> the update I lost two more. The remaining 2 drives are no longer in a
    >> raid 5 configuration and are, for want of a better term, spares. They
    >> will not be used for critical duties.
    >>
    >> Seagate is well and truly off my radar now!
    >>

    > The 7200.11 are not enterprise drives and for the life of me i dont
    > understand why it suprises you that they fail in a RAID environment.
    >

    My "RAID5 array" was only ever turned on when required to store or
    access data and this would amount to no more than a few hours a week.
    Hardly an "enterprise" system. Had I wanted a 100% duty cycle storage
    system, then I would have purchased the appropriate drives for it, most
    probably 10 or 15k SCSI. My needs simply didn't warrant such expense.
    >
    >
    > http://forums.storagereview.com/index.
    > php/topic/29208-how-to-use-desktop-drives-in-raid-without-tlererccctl/
    >
    >
    > "Hard drive manufacturers are drawing a distinction between "desktop" grade
    > and "enterprise" grade drives. The "desktop" grade drives can take a long time
    > (~2 minutes) to respond when they find an error, which causes most RAID
    > systems to label them as failed and drop them from the array.


    Neither the platter surface nor the heads are the source of the problems
    I experienced. The drive would simply "brick" itself due to firmware
    issues. One of my drives, which I supposedly purchased as "new" had
    already been back to the factory for repair. It was then onsold as new
    through normal retail outlets. I only found this out when I contacted
    Seagate with my issues via their helpdesk and quoted the relevant
    numbers to them. Nice one Seagate. And, yes, it came with complete
    factory sealed packaging. as did all the others.
    >
    > The solution provided by the manufacturers is for us to purchase the
    > "enterprise" grade drives, at twice the cost, which report errors promptly
    > enough so that this isn't a problem. This "enterprise" feature is called TLER,
    > ERC, and CCTL.
    >

    As stated above, my needs aren't in any way as severe as an "enterprise"
    so desktop drives were all I figured I needed. Besides, one drive failed
    in my daily desktop. Unlike the RAID systemn, the desktop motherboard
    does power the drive down when not in use which, in my case, was
    probably 80% - 90% of the time.

    --

    Krypsis
     
    Krypsis, Nov 4, 2011
    #9
  10. Percival P. Cassidy

    shawn Guest

    On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 10:04:46 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
    <> wrote:

    >A few weeks ago 2TB Seagate Barracuda XT bare drives were $130 at
    >NewEgg; by the end of last week they were $250. But on Saturday I bought
    >the retail version of the same drive at the Chicago-area Fry's for $160
    >(limit one per customer).
    >
    >Two weeks ago I bought a retail-package 2TB Barracuda LP at Best Buy for
    >$100; this week the regular price is shown as $90, and they are on sale
    >for $75 -- and they do price adjustments within 30 days. NewEgg no
    >longer lists them.
    >
    >Those drives are all made in China, but I think that some components or
    >sub-assemblies come from the flood-affected factories in Thailand.
    >


    That won't last for long. On Newegg.com the 1TB Western Digital Caviar
    Green has gone from about $50 a month ago to $129. It's also gone from
    free shipping to $7.29 for shipping. The same sort of price increase
    is happening with the rest of the 1TB and larger drives from all
    manufacturers. Even the prices for 500GB drives are getting out of
    hand with the cheapest on Newegg being the Samsung Spinpoing F3EG
    500GB 5400RPM at $99.99 and $7.28 for shipping.
     
    shawn, Nov 4, 2011
    #10
  11. Percival P. Cassidy

    Arno Guest

    GMAN <> wrote:
    > In article <4eb3aecd$0$29364$>, Krypsis <> wrote:
    >>On 4/11/2011 5:04 AM, GMAN wrote:

    [...]
    > That was not my point. My point was that desktop drives can take sometimes as
    > long as 2 minutes to retry and correct week or bad sectors. Usually this
    > amount of time is enough for most hardware or software raid systems to throw
    > up a fit and mark the drive bad and insist that it be removed from the array.


    I have been running several RAID1 and RAID 5/6 arrays on consumer-grade
    disks 24/7 for about 10 years now. The only issues I ever had
    are that about 1-2 times a year the last 3-4 years (running
    in IDE and SATA 2.5" notebook disks), a disk drops out of the
    array(s) and becomes completely unresponsive. That happens with
    Seagate, Samsung and WD drives and I have not been able to identify
    a pattern. It is not a kernel issue (this is Linux software
    RAID), as the drive stays unresponsive until power-cycled.
    Then it comes back cleanly, no errors, no SMART error log
    entries and hot-plugs fine.

    My take is that if you have a dumb hardware controller (most are
    pretty dumb) or it is hard to get to the individual drives,
    these "RAID" drives may be worth the extra money, otherwise they
    probably are not. Side note: Because of the disks dropping out,
    I run 3-way RAID1 or RAID6, so I have time to reactivate
    the locked-up drive at my leisure as the arrays are still
    redundant.

    Arno
    --
    Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email:
    GnuPG: ID: 1E25338F FP: 0C30 5782 9D93 F785 E79C 0296 797F 6B50 1E25 338F
    ----
    Cuddly UI's are the manifestation of wishful thinking. -- Dylan Evans
     
    Arno, Nov 4, 2011
    #11
  12. Percival P. Cassidy

    GMAN Guest

    In article <4eb3aecd$0$29364$>, Krypsis <> wrote:
    >On 4/11/2011 5:04 AM, GMAN wrote:
    >> In article<4eb25301$0$19225$>,

    > Krypsis<> wrote:
    >>> On 3/11/2011 2:43 PM, GMAN wrote:
    >>>> In article<4eb19786$0$13391$>,
    >>> Krypsis<> wrote:
    >>>>> On 3/11/2011 1:04 AM, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
    >>>>>> A few weeks ago 2TB Seagate Barracuda XT bare drives were $130 at
    >>>>>> NewEgg; by the end of last week they were $250. But on Saturday I bought
    >>>>>> the retail version of the same drive at the Chicago-area Fry's for $160
    >>>>>> (limit one per customer).
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Two weeks ago I bought a retail-package 2TB Barracuda LP at Best Buy for
    >>>>>> $100; this week the regular price is shown as $90, and they are on sale
    >>>>>> for $75 -- and they do price adjustments within 30 days. NewEgg no
    >>>>>> longer lists them.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Those drives are all made in China, but I think that some components or
    >>>>>> sub-assemblies come from the flood-affected factories in Thailand.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Perce
    >>>>>
    >>>>> After having 3 out of 5 Seagate 1 Terabyte drives die recently, and
    >>>>> being assured that the remaining 2 will soon suffer a similar fate, I no
    >>>>> longer buy Seagate drives.
    >>>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> You did get the memo about the firmware update to prevent this??????? The
    >>>> firmware was released way over a year ago to fix the issues for the 750Gb
    >>> thru
    >>>> the 1.5 TB drives.
    >>>
    >>> No memo but I found out the bad news from the dealer from whom I
    >>> purchased the drives. After losing the first drive, I contacted Seagate
    >>> and updated the firmware. I was warned by the dealer rep that the fix
    >>> wasn't a guarantee as his experience was that the entire 7200.11 batch
    >>> was faulty and the update merely stopgap. He was right, shortly after
    >>> the update I lost two more. The remaining 2 drives are no longer in a
    >>> raid 5 configuration and are, for want of a better term, spares. They
    >>> will not be used for critical duties.
    >>>
    >>> Seagate is well and truly off my radar now!
    >>>

    >> The 7200.11 are not enterprise drives and for the life of me i dont
    >> understand why it suprises you that they fail in a RAID environment.
    >>

    >My "RAID5 array" was only ever turned on when required to store or
    >access data and this would amount to no more than a few hours a week.
    >Hardly an "enterprise" system. Had I wanted a 100% duty cycle storage
    >system, then I would have purchased the appropriate drives for it, most
    >probably 10 or 15k SCSI. My needs simply didn't warrant such expense.



    That was not my point. My point was that desktop drives can take sometimes as
    long as 2 minutes to retry and correct week or bad sectors. Usually this
    amount of time is enough for most hardware or software raid systems to throw
    up a fit and mark the drive bad and insist that it be removed from the array.
     
    GMAN, Nov 4, 2011
    #12
  13. Percival P. Cassidy

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, shawn <> wrote:
    >On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 10:04:46 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>A few weeks ago 2TB Seagate Barracuda XT bare drives were $130 at
    >>NewEgg; by the end of last week they were $250. But on Saturday I bought
    >>the retail version of the same drive at the Chicago-area Fry's for $160
    >>(limit one per customer).
    >>
    >>Two weeks ago I bought a retail-package 2TB Barracuda LP at Best Buy for
    >>$100; this week the regular price is shown as $90, and they are on sale
    >>for $75 -- and they do price adjustments within 30 days. NewEgg no
    >>longer lists them.
    >>
    >>Those drives are all made in China, but I think that some components or
    >>sub-assemblies come from the flood-affected factories in Thailand.
    >>

    >
    >That won't last for long. On Newegg.com the 1TB Western Digital Caviar
    >Green has gone from about $50 a month ago to $129. It's also gone from
    >free shipping to $7.29 for shipping. The same sort of price increase
    >is happening with the rest of the 1TB and larger drives from all
    >manufacturers. Even the prices for 500GB drives are getting out of
    >hand with the cheapest on Newegg being the Samsung Spinpoing F3EG
    >500GB 5400RPM at $99.99 and $7.28 for shipping.



    I just resorted to going down to my local target and buying up quick a couple
    of the 2TB WD Elements drives that they still had on the shelf for $79 . I had
    went into Best Buy to buy a 2TB drive and they stated were all out in all of
    the western region of the USA. So i walked next door to TARGET, they had 4
    2TB WD Elements drives. I bought all 4 at $79 each. I am keeping two of them
    as external drives for storing audio and video for my NAS, and then i cracked
    the two others open and took the 2TB WD green drives out and are using them
    internally.
     
    GMAN, Nov 4, 2011
    #13
  14. Percival P. Cassidy

    Ed Light Guest

    On 11/4/2011 11:21 AM, GMAN wrote:

    > 2TB WD Elements drives. I bought all 4 at $79 each. I am keeping two of them
    > as external drives for storing audio and video for my NAS, and then i cracked
    > the two others open and took the 2TB WD green drives out and are using them
    > internally.


    Some of those drives in there will break on regular SATA power as they
    use lower power. Specifically at least some "EAVS" drives.

    I could not get WD to tell me what voltage is supposed to go to what
    pin. I suppose it could be measured off the feed in the enclosure.

    --
    Ed Light

    Better World News TV Channel:
    http://realnews.com

    Iraq Veterans Against the War and Related:
    http://ivaw.org
    http://couragetoresist.org
    http://antiwar.com

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.
     
    Ed Light, Nov 5, 2011
    #14
  15. Percival P. Cassidy

    Ed Light Guest

    On 11/4/2011 11:03 AM, Arno wrote:

    > My take is that if you have a dumb hardware controller (most are
    > pretty dumb) or it is hard to get to the individual drives,
    > these "RAID" drives may be worth the extra money, otherwise they
    > probably are not.


    The WD RE drives have extra anti-vibration, anti-shock measures in them.
    Some kind of active sensing and compensation. The 500 GB one, according
    to newegg user reviews, has an unusally good record for almost no
    lemons. Maybe because of less platters than the bigger ones.

    --
    Ed Light

    Better World News TV Channel:
    http://realnews.com

    Iraq Veterans Against the War and Related:
    http://ivaw.org
    http://couragetoresist.org
    http://antiwar.com

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.
     
    Ed Light, Nov 5, 2011
    #15
  16. Percival P. Cassidy

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, Arno <> wrote:
    >GMAN <> wrote:
    >> In article <4eb3aecd$0$29364$>, Krypsis

    > <> wrote:
    >>>On 4/11/2011 5:04 AM, GMAN wrote:

    >[...]
    >> That was not my point. My point was that desktop drives can take sometimes as

    >
    >> long as 2 minutes to retry and correct week or bad sectors. Usually this
    >> amount of time is enough for most hardware or software raid systems to throw
    >> up a fit and mark the drive bad and insist that it be removed from the array.

    >
    >
    >I have been running several RAID1 and RAID 5/6 arrays on consumer-grade
    >disks 24/7 for about 10 years now. The only issues I ever had
    >are that about 1-2 times a year the last 3-4 years (running
    >in IDE and SATA 2.5" notebook disks), a disk drops out of the
    >array(s) and becomes completely unresponsive. That happens with
    >Seagate, Samsung and WD drives and I have not been able to identify
    >a pattern. It is not a kernel issue (this is Linux software
    >RAID), as the drive stays unresponsive until power-cycled.
    >Then it comes back cleanly, no errors, no SMART error log
    >entries and hot-plugs fine.
    >
    >My take is that if you have a dumb hardware controller (most are
    >pretty dumb) or it is hard to get to the individual drives,
    >these "RAID" drives may be worth the extra money, otherwise they
    >probably are not. Side note: Because of the disks dropping out,
    >I run 3-way RAID1 or RAID6, so I have time to reactivate
    >the locked-up drive at my leisure as the arrays are still
    >redundant.
    >
    >Arno


    Thats my exact point. Drives should not just drop out of a raid array for no
    reason.
     
    GMAN, Nov 5, 2011
    #16
  17. Percival P. Cassidy

    GMAN Guest

    In article <4eb49612$0$53791$c3e8da3$>, Ed Light <> wrote:
    >On 11/4/2011 11:21 AM, GMAN wrote:
    >
    >> 2TB WD Elements drives. I bought all 4 at $79 each. I am keeping two of them
    >> as external drives for storing audio and video for my NAS, and then i cracked
    >> the two others open and took the 2TB WD green drives out and are using them
    >> internally.

    >
    >Some of those drives in there will break on regular SATA power as they
    >use lower power. Specifically at least some "EAVS" drives.
    >
    >I could not get WD to tell me what voltage is supposed to go to what
    >pin. I suppose it could be measured off the feed in the enclosure.



    The drives in the WD 2TB Elements drives are the standard WD20EARX 3.5"
    Green desktop drives.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136891


    Right on the drive they say
    5VDC 0.70A
    12VDC 0.55A

    Acually last christmas, they were in many of the elements cases, they were
    supplying the WD black 7200RPM versions of the 2TB drive since they had a
    shortage of the green drives in the later part of 2010..

    I have read that about the EAVS drives and the 5v issue. That sounds a little
    fishy to me because if they claim SATA II compliance, they must operate within
    the specs layed out by the standards set.
     
    GMAN, Nov 5, 2011
    #17
  18. Percival P. Cassidy

    Ed Light Guest

    On 11/4/2011 11:09 PM, GMAN wrote:

    > I have read that about the EAVS drives and the 5v issue. That sounds a little
    > fishy to me because if they claim SATA II compliance, they must operate within
    > the specs layed out by the standards set.


    Someone bought one or more bare EAVS drives at Frys and they broke. WD
    fixed them to work normally.
    --
    Ed Light

    Better World News TV Channel:
    http://realnews.com

    Iraq Veterans Against the War and Related:
    http://ivaw.org
    http://couragetoresist.org
    http://antiwar.com

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.
     
    Ed Light, Nov 5, 2011
    #18
  19. Percival P. Cassidy

    Ed Light Guest

    Ed Light, Nov 5, 2011
    #19
  20. On 11/02/11 03:18 pm, Krypsis wrote:

    >> A few weeks ago 2TB Seagate Barracuda XT bare drives were $130 at
    >> NewEgg; by the end of last week they were $250. But on Saturday I bought
    >> the retail version of the same drive at the Chicago-area Fry's for $160
    >> (limit one per customer).
    >>
    >> Two weeks ago I bought a retail-package 2TB Barracuda LP at Best Buy for
    >> $100; this week the regular price is shown as $90, and they are on sale
    >> for $75 -- and they do price adjustments within 30 days. NewEgg no
    >> longer lists them.
    >>
    >> Those drives are all made in China, but I think that some components or
    >> sub-assemblies come from the flood-affected factories in Thailand.


    > After having 3 out of 5 Seagate 1 Terabyte drives die recently, and
    > being assured that the remaining 2 will soon suffer a similar fate, I no
    > longer buy Seagate drives.


    Except for one Seagate drive that bricked after its 5-yr warranty had
    expired and after having sat unused for many months, all the dead drives
    I have sitting around here are WD.

    I do have a couple of Seagate SATA drives that needed their firmware
    updated, but they have been running 24/7 since with no problems.

    BTW, I was wrong about one thing: although the "bare drive" Barracuda XT
    drives were indeed made in China, the retail-pack one was made in
    Thailand. I'm using them in a DIY FreeNAS box: the "bare" drives are in
    RAIDZ1, and the retail one is a "hot spare."

    And I did get my $25 credit from Best Buy for the Barracuda LP.

    Perce
     
    Percival P. Cassidy, Nov 5, 2011
    #20
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Sgt_Wilson
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    535
  2. Rod Speed

    Re: Thailand floods impact Seagate&WD

    Rod Speed, Oct 14, 2011, in forum: Storage Devices
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    367
    Rod Speed
    Oct 14, 2011
  3. Rod Speed

    Re: Thailand floods impact Seagate&WD

    Rod Speed, Oct 14, 2011, in forum: Storage Devices
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    353
    Rod Speed
    Oct 14, 2011
  4. Man-wai Chang

    Re: Thailand floods impact Seagate&WD

    Man-wai Chang, Oct 15, 2011, in forum: Storage Devices
    Replies:
    24
    Views:
    801
    John Turco
    Nov 12, 2011
  5. Joe

    hard drives from Thailand?

    Joe, Jan 2, 2012, in forum: Storage Devices
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    671
    Krypsis
    Jan 3, 2012
Loading...

Share This Page