TFT Monitors and Stuff

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
16.2 vs 16.7 is also new to me, no clue why manufactuers advertise as they do. Half a million shades a lot come to think of it :D

Reaction score
Thats what i was thinking.

I ordered a budget TFT for a clients PC and it was advertised at 16.2m but when it arrived lo and behold written on the box was 16.7

So i dont know.

It cant mean too much because even some iiyama ones are 16.2...

Mines 16.2... I'll let you know what its like.

Oh yeah i forgot to mention i ordered the L1730B

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I did a bit of research and here is what I found with regard to 16.2 vs 16.7 million colours confusion.

There are some LCD monitors that do have 16.2 million colours yet use 8 bit colour.

The reason is that their digital-to-analogue converters are unable to use all 256 (0->255) brightness levels that 8 bits give. They only go to 253 (0->252) which means that you lose a bit of detail in either the very lightest parts, or in the very darkest, or both.

Reaction score
Hmmm... But this one wont need to do any analogue conversion... It's DVI!

Or does it still need to convert...

OR

Does it only mean there is quality loss when using the VGA cable, and it's fine when using DVI

Weird.

Reaction score
Oh dear...

It seems that the P version, appeared TOO tempting.

Well for £12 more, AND from savastore as opposed to eBuyer, i can get built in USB, Fchip, hiked up brightness AND this really cool landscape/portrait pivot thing.

It's aparently better for gaming.

Cancelled eBuyers order

Will order from Savastore tomorrow with mummy's card. it dosent lik my visa electron :(

oooh i can't wait!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
So I do at times tempt people into spending more :D:D:D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Nice one Quad, handled like a true profesional. :D

Chris, I do hope whatever you end up with meets all your requirments, and is easy on the eyes. :thumb:

Reaction score
Cheers mate.

Cancelled the order from eBuyer (LG L1730B @ £255 inc VAT and Shipping) and ordered from Savastore/Watford this morning (LG L1730P @ £272 inv VAT and Shipping) - i think it is out of stock at the moment as it says 11 2-3 days. Hopefully it should arrive before the end of the week.

What did it for me was the fact it has a built in USB hub. I wasn't looking forward to loosing the hub i have at the mo, on my 454, but with the 2 port one on the new monitor i can plug my mouse in, and also my MP3 player/Flash Drive when it arrives - i would have had to go round back of PC as i couldn't be bothered with connecting up the front USB on my antec case - the little pins are so damn fiddly. They should mould them all into a single block

I love the fact that on this new monitor you can actually rotate the entire screen on its pivot arm through 90 degrees to make it activate portrait mode - which is aparently better for word documents - you can fit a whole A4 page to one screen without having to scroll. Looks good.

I'm just prayin this thing doesn't have ANY dead pixels. Dead pixels suck, big time, it would ruin the TFT experience for me, totally, having a big red/green/blue blob in the middle of my screen, permanently.

Time will tell.

Look at this picture - dosen't this look so cool? I'll probably never use the pivot function, but it's good for showing off ;):)

L1730P_med_mdl.jpg
I can't wait :D:D I have to ship off the iiyama on wednesday - using a courier called parcel something... .com. Can't remember the address, It better be in my site history! They charge £10.45 for 24hour collect and deliver courier service, up to 30Kg with £150 worth of insurance. They actually look really good and aparently they give the jobs to the big companies, ala arsehole force and Sh(c)itty link.​
I'm rambling.​
I'm actually in the IRC at college at the moment, with an ICT assignment to be done for next block. Cad&Cam. Eurgh.​
Chris

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Nice one Quad, handled like a true profesional. :D

You are too kind, Sir! Thank you indeed :)

Chris:

I am happy for you that you will eventually get something nice looking as well as a unit which has so many convenient features. :D

Reaction score
Arrived today...

its awesome

BUT

DEAD FRIGGIN PIXEL (SEEETHING WITH RAGE AT LG) grrrr!

Its in the middle about 2 3rds in, BRIGHT PINK

and i know they wont replace it as you gotta have like 4 of them

Love it otherwise, quality is awesome and there is NO ghosting in games. Looks the part too!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
Arrived today...

its awesome

BUT

DEAD FRIGGIN PIXEL (SEEETHING WITH RAGE AT LG) grrrr!
And that, quite simply, is why I won't go TFT atm.

Oh, and dodgy gaming response as well.

I really don't know how suppliers and manufacturers have the nerve to say - 'If you have a dead pixel - tough luck'. It should not be allowed. They should test them all and if a dead pixel is found the monitor should be junked.

I'm not going to play Russian Roulette.

I mean, come on, if you bought a new car, would you accept the reasoning 'Some may have a cracked windscreen, some may have mottled paintwork. Sorry, we can't help this, either you agree to a 1 in 10 chance of having a flaw in your product or we won't sell it to you'

In several year's time, we will wonder how we ever accepted this bulls**t.

Reaction score
I'll quote you when i reply after they tell me they can't replace you. I totally agree

This is actually very good for games. Put a chinhook into a flat spin at unreal speed and no ghosting. full stop. 12ms seems to be quick enough!

Didnt know XP looked so good! so crisp and clear its beautiful.

Dead pixel the only thing that ruined it for me, not good enough of them. Constant bright pink in the middle of the screen (vertically).

muckshifter

Reaction score
The majority of your rights are protected under the "Sale of Goods Act 1979" This Law states, goods must be “of satisfactory quality”. This means there should be no faults or defects in components or design at time of manufacture that affect appearance or make the product unusable or unsafe.

Now, if only "consumes" would stick-up for their rights and refuse to accept manufacturers’ claims that dead pixels are acceptable, just because they say so, maybe, then just maybe the consumer will get a fair deal.

I'm sorry Chris, I would be kicking up a fuss ... I would just keep repeating to them;
... goods must be “of satisfactory quality”. This means there should be no faults or defects in components or design at time of manufacture that affect appearance ...

If you do complain, remember, your initial complaint is with whoever you purchased the good from. In this case that's Savastore.

Good luck if you do compain. :thumb:

Reaction score
But the screen has an onsite warranty i think? Therefore if i have any problems with it, it is dealt with by the manufacturer not the supplier.

Such like my old iiyama warranty.

is this correct?

I will try kicking up a fuss, bright pink really isnt my colour

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
This is what Philips guarantees for their Business and Professional series monitors

Zero Bright Dot™
Bright dots are defects in a LCD panel once thought to be an
inevitable part of the manufacturing process. With Zero Bright
Dot™, Philips monitors are guaranteed without dot defects.

muckshifter

Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
But the screen has an onsite warranty i think? Therefore if i have any problems with it, it is dealt with by the manufacturer not the supplier.

Such like my old iiyama warranty.

is this correct?

I will try kicking up a fuss, bright pink really isnt my colour
If you have an 'on-site warrantee' then yes, invoke it ... you will probably find you will in fact be dealing with a third party i.e.; a service contractor. It’s my experience that all that happens is they send out some person to 'drop off' a new monitor & pick up the faulty one ... however, I have only ever dealt with CRTs

It may transpire that because of their ‘sales practice’ that state dead pixels are acceptable that you may not be acceptable under their warrantee. The industry’s ‘white paper’ states that dead pixels are an unfortunate side affect and may not/are not covered.

Stick up for your rights as a consumer and insist you have a replacement or refund.

:thumb:

Reaction score
LG TFTs in Greece are advertised all over the place with "zero dead pixel warranty". For UK i saw the following posted on another board :

I have phoned LG UK and confirmed their Faulty/Dead pixel policy for everyone here:

1: 1 pixel dead centre
2: 2 pixels 20mm apart
3: 4 or more overall
if your supplier will not respond correctly take it up with LG

Reaction score
Cheers.

I have contacted LG and they refuse to send me a brand new one.

They say i can have a refurb which will be a fair bit older.

They said contact your supplier, but i can't really go a couple of weeks without it, college assignments etc

Ask a Question