TCP/IP won't work, IPX/SPX does

G

I'm setting up a peer to peer home office network between a Win2k desktop and XP (Home) laptop using a router as a hub

I cannot get TCP/IP to make the connection. After some experimentation, I found that loading the IPX/SPX protocol will work. If I uninstall IPX/SPX, the network won't work with TCP/IP alone. Reinstall, and it does.

While I am functioning using the IPX, I'd like to figure out what it is that is stopping the TCP/IP from working.

Anybody have any ideas

Thanks in advance
EdB

H

Haus

Hello
More then likely it is your firewall in the XP Home.
But with the IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Protocol installed it will work with a firewall
installed.

--
Hope This Helps
Haus
Not a MS-MVP
Not a MVP
Not nothing, just a good ole boy.

H

Hans-Georg Michna

EdB said:
I'm setting up a peer to peer home office network between a Win2k desktop and XP (Home) laptop using a router as a hub.

I cannot get TCP/IP to make the connection. After some experimentation, I found that loading the IPX/SPX protocol will work. If I uninstall IPX/SPX, the network won't work with TCP/IP alone. Reinstall, and it does.

While I am functioning using the IPX, I'd like to figure out what it is that is stopping the TCP/IP from working.

EdB,

please have a look at http://www.michna.com/kb/WxNetwork.htm.

Hans-Georg

G

Have you tried enabling NetBIOS over TCP/IP in the Advanced TCP/IP properties Tab then on to the WINS tab?

Ask a Question