taskbar won't save changes/search assistant toolbar appears

G

recently, I have had a problem with taskbar. each time I boot my computer, the taskbar has a "search assistant" toolbar in the right-hand corner. the quickstart icons are condenced (I have to click on the arrows to see more than the first three icons). the taskbar is locked. Each time this happens I unlock taskbar, uncheck search assistant toolbar, resize icon area, and re-lock toolbar. when I restart, my preferences aren't saved.

Also, I went to the add/remove programs, and there is a (new, i think) program called "IE Searchbar toolbar". When I try to uninstall, the screen blinks momentarily and nothing happens.

I have run every virus scan I can find and come up clean. I have anti-virus and firewall installed. can't figure this one out, though. any help appreciated!

R

Ramesh [MVP]

Same answer.

--
Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

AumHa VSOP: http://www.aumha.org

recently, I have had a problem with taskbar. each time I boot my computer, the taskbar has a "search assistant" toolbar in the right-hand corner. the quickstart icons are condenced (I have to click on the arrows to see more than the first three icons). the taskbar is locked. Each time this happens I unlock taskbar, uncheck search assistant toolbar, resize icon area, and re-lock toolbar. when I restart, my preferences aren't saved.

Also, I went to the add/remove programs, and there is a (new, i think) program called "IE Searchbar toolbar". When I try to uninstall, the screen blinks momentarily and nothing happens.

I have run every virus scan I can find and come up clean. I have anti-virus and firewall installed. can't figure this one out, though. any help appreciated!

Ask a Question