System Utility Query

KiwiBrian

I am enquiring about a utility that I can not categorize so I will describe
it.
A perfect application exists as shareware, namely DiskData.
I wish to know if there is a freeware pgm that does the same thing.
It can be pointed at a folder, partition, or Hard Drive, and it creates a
summary of all folders and optionally files within that entity.
This summary can then be displayed as a chart, or a table, etc. with the
folders and files displayed in order of size.
Thus enabling an overview of where all the space is being used and how much
each is taking up.
An indispensable aid in PC management. And enables finding rogue files that
can be taking up GB of space.
So, does anyone know of a freeware equivalent?
TIA
Brian Tozer

Henry George

I am enquiring about a utility that I can not categorize so I will describe
it.
A perfect application exists as shareware, namely DiskData.
I wish to know if there is a freeware pgm that does the same thing.
It can be pointed at a folder, partition, or Hard Drive, and it creates a
summary of all folders and optionally files within that entity.
This summary can then be displayed as a chart, or a table, etc. with the
folders and files displayed in order of size.
Thus enabling an overview of where all the space is being used and how much
each is taking up.
An indispensable aid in PC management. And enables finding rogue files that
can be taking up GB of space.
So, does anyone know of a freeware equivalent?
TIA
Brian Tozer

SpaceMonger

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/spacemonger.html

Susan Bugher

KiwiBrian said:
I am enquiring about a utility that I can not categorize so I will describe
it.
A perfect application exists as shareware, namely DiskData.
I wish to know if there is a freeware pgm that does the same thing.
It can be pointed at a folder, partition, or Hard Drive, and it creates a
summary of all folders and optionally files within that entity.
This summary can then be displayed as a chart, or a table, etc. with the
folders and files displayed in order of size.
Thus enabling an overview of where all the space is being used and how much
each is taking up.
An indispensable aid in PC management. And enables finding rogue files that
can be taking up GB of space.
So, does anyone know of a freeware equivalent?

Yup. This year's Pricelessware pick is WinDirStat:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2006/PL2006SYSTEMUTILITIES.php#3287-PW

WinDirStat
Company: -- Author: Bernhard Seifert; Oliver Schneider
(Freeware) (open source: GNU GPL)
Windows OS: Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP; Windows Server 2003
Languages: English and other languages
tool for MS Windows. WinDirStat reads the whole directory tree once and
then presents it in three useful views: the directory list, which
resembles the tree view of the Windows Explorer but is sorted by
file/subtree size; the treemap, which shows the whole contents of the
directory tree straight away; the extension list, which serves as a
legend and shows statistics about the file types.
Home Page:
http://windirstat.sourceforge.net/
Project Page:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/windirstat/
download page v 1.1.2 (2005-07-16) [ windirstat1_1_2-exe-ansi.zip (726
KB) Win 95/98/ME] [ windirstat1_1_2-exe-unicode.zip (731 KB) Win
NT4/2000/XP/2003]

Some of these apps also satisfy your requirements:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_SYSTEMUTILITIES.php#1.02Cataloger:DiskSpace

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware