System restore

Ran Panicware spy remover. Now computer will open only in safe mode. Tried
system restore and it goes through the process and I receive no message that
it could not be restored but coputer will not restart in the normal manner.
What can I do?

thank you for your interest in my problem. I have tried all the available
restore points. No message appears after I run the restore, the progress bar
progresses completes its travel to the right and the computer shuts down as
normal. Any more suggestions would be appreciated.

New message, "No restore points currently available". Tried the command
%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe amd got the message that it was not
a valid command. What a day!

Bert Kinney

I guess you are not seeing the Restoration Complete because the system is not completely
booting.

Can you boot into Safe Mode and see any available restore point in the calendar?

Also, are you logging on as an administrator?

Appreciate your interest in my problem. NO have never receive the
"restoration complete" message. Did you see my last posting concerning "no
restoration points currently available", previously had points from Oct 1 to
current. Also I tried the prompt %systemroot%\system32\restore\restrui.exe
which came back as an invalid command. Thanks again for your interest.

One more point, when I signed in as the administrator your prompt command was
accepted but again it said "no restore points currenly available". I fell I
am in big trouble, hope you have a suggestion. I should mention that when
the system is booted up in the regular manner, not the safe mode, I do get a
blue screen but no desktop.

Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers

Hi,

If no restore points are available, then using System Restore is not an
option. What does the blue screen error say?

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

The blue screen is totally blank except for the cursor (arrow), a right click
will give me downdown menue but none of the items work when clicked. I agree
that I have probably lost my option to use System Recovery. Thanks for your
interest.

Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers

Hi,

At what point does the blue screen appear? Before or after logon?

As you can reach safe mode, you may want to try the steps here:

How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP [Q310560]
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310560

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Dear Rick,
Thank you for your interest in helping me with my problem. I now believe
that the problem is that something is preventing the proper loading of
windows. Since I am operating in the safe mode I cannot remove the Panicware
Spy Software (the start of the pronlem) and I cannot reload windows XP.
Concerning the sugggestion of the diagostic startup this did not help, I have
tried all sorts of modifications to the msconfig startup without success.
Since window never really loads (except when I go to the safe mode)there is
no login and the blue screen appears after the system stops trying to load.
Do you know of a way to remove the Panicware Spy Software while in the safe
mode or a way to reload XP in the safe mode? Over the past three business
days I have sent 3 messages to Panicware asking for advace and have received
no reply. As Bert Kinney suggested I have run several "search and destroy"
programs and these programs have found no errors. Again you suggestions are
very much appreciated and I will be sure to let you know if or how I get out
of this problem. Without the safe mode I would be totally out of business.
Thanks again

In-a-panic said:
The blue screen is totally blank except for the cursor (arrow), a right
click
will give me downdown menue but none of the items work when clicked. I
agree
that I have probably lost my option to use System Recovery. Thanks for
your
interest.

Bert Kinney

Hi,

Are you referring to Spy Sweeper by Panicware?

Have you tried uninstalling it in Safe Mode - Control Panel - Add/remove programs?

Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
http://bertk.mvps.org

Rick "Nutcase" Rogers said:
Hi,

At what point does the blue screen appear? Before or
after logon?

As you can reach safe mode, you may want to try the
steps here:

How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in
Windows XP [Q310560]
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310560

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

in message

:

Hi,

If no restore points are available, then using System
Restore is not an option. What does the blue screen
error say?

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"In-a-panic" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
[...]

Strange. Do you see the Restoration Complete
windows as shown at the bottom of this page?
http://bertk.mvps.org/index.html

In-a-panic wrote:
thank you for your interest in my problem. I have
tried all the available restore points. No
message appears after I run the restore, the
progress bar progresses completes its travel to
the right and the computer shuts down as normal.
Any more suggestions would be appreciated.

:

Hi,

Try the next oldest restore point.

All About System Restore in WinXP
http://bertk.mvps.org

Are there any errors appearing after running
System Restore?