system restore has been turned off by group policy

That's the error message I get when I try to activate system restore. It
also says "To turn on System Restore, contact your Domain administrator." I
have a home network with 2 computers. There is no designation of
administrator of the domain, that I know of. I am the administrator of my
system. There is no "system restore" option tab under computer properties.
This all happened a few days ago, and things were working fine until then.
I really dislike not having the system restore option. Can someone please
tell me how to get it back?

I have same problem and Kellys korner suggestion did not work either.

See also message from Yetti above on 12 March

Taurarian

Check here:

For WinXP Home

Click Start/Run and type REGEDIT

Locate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\SystemRestore
In the right-pane, delete the value "DisableConfig".

Close Registry Editor

Close and re-open the System Restore properties page.

Note you can save the registry key first by:
On the File menu, click Export.
In the File name box, type SaveKey, and then click Save.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;322756
HOW TO: Back Up, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows XP
Disclaimer: Modifying the registry can cause serious problems that may require you to
reinstall your operating system. Use the information provided at your own risk.

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Basher,

Is there a "DisableSR" value in the same registry key? If so, delete it as
well.

It worked for me too! You have my undying gratitude. I've been trying to
fix it for over a week.

snomann said:
That's the error message I get when I try to activate system restore. It
also says "To turn on System Restore, contact your Domain administrator." I
have a home network with 2 computers. There is no designation of
administrator of the domain, that I know of. I am the administrator of my
system. There is no "system restore" option tab under computer properties.
This all happened a few days ago, and things were working fine until then.
I really dislike not having the system restore option. Can someone please
tell me how to get it back?

Joined
Dec 30, 2006
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Basher" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Thanks but still no luck, the tab will not reappear in System properties
>
> "Taurarian" wrote:
>
>> Check here:
>>
>> For WinXP Home
>>
>> Click Start/Run and type REGEDIT
>>
>> Locate to:
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\SystemRestore
>> In the right-pane, delete the value "DisableConfig".
>>
>> Close Registry Editor
>>
>> Close and re-open the System Restore properties page.
>>
>> Note you can save the registry key first by:
>> On the File menu, click Export.
>> In the File name box, type SaveKey, and then click Save.
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;322756
>> HOW TO: Back Up, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows XP
>> Disclaimer: Modifying the registry can cause serious problems that may
>> require you to
>> reinstall your operating system. Use the information provided at your own
>> risk.
>>

>> snomann wrote:
>> > I guess I should have indicated that I have XP Home.
>> > I do not have gpedit.msc

I have xp pro as well, and I have the same problem, some file or trojan of some sort I cannot find... what do I do fix this system restore problem, I am the admin and i cant run system restore because of that message, I cant even turn my firewall back on which it disabled also because of this takeover of rights... what do I do to fix this???

Deek_R

Hello,

I also had the problem with group policy stopping the system restore and
your advice below fixed this but, it appears that all my restore points have
vanished except for one and this was taken on the day of the infection.

I want to restore to factory settings with ALT F11 but it would appear that
this is also being blocked.

Can you offer me any advice please?

stocks

I know i`m a few years behind on this question but i got to this point for
REGEDIT but when i run it, it still says it has been turned off by the
administrator. where do i go from here?
thanx for looking.

stocks

Thanks John for your help, i`m now in regedit part and done relevant
solutions to the problem but to no avail, i`m still getting the message
system restore has been turned off by group policy/contact the domain
administrator.
Where do i go from this point, any ideas. thanx for your time.

John Wunderlich

Thanks John for your help, i`m now in regedit part and done
relevant solutions to the problem but to no avail, i`m still
getting the message system restore has been turned off by group
policy/contact the domain administrator.
Where do i go from this point, any ideas. thanx for your time.

When "group policy" is envolved, think "gpedit".
Start -> Run -> "gpedit.msc"

There's a lot of settings that may affect System Restore, but I'd look
here:

Local Computer Policy -> Administrative Templates -> System Restore ->
Turn off System Restore.

HTH,
John

John Wunderlich

When "group policy" is envolved, think "gpedit".
Start -> Run -> "gpedit.msc"

There's a lot of settings that may affect System Restore, but I'd
look here:

Local Computer Policy -> Administrative Templates -> System
Restore ->
Turn off System Restore.

HTH,
John

Make that:
Local Computer Policy -> Administrative Templates ->
System -> System Restore -> Turn off System Restore

-- John