Cannot access system restore or time & date

Discussion in 'Windows XP Security' started by Ed, Mar 4, 2009.

  1. Ed

    Ed Guest

    I am using Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 on a Compaq Presario 2100.
    I am logged on as the computer administrator. It is a home computer that I
    am using at home. All of a sudden, I have the following problems.

    1) When I go to control panel, then to System, the system restore tab is
    now missing. However, System Restore is still found in
    Start/programs/accessories/system tools

    2) When I click on System Restore, I get the following message: "You do not
    have sufficient security priviledges to restore your system. Please contact
    your administrator, or log out and log in again as an administrator and try
    again"

    3) When I click on date and time properties in lower right hand corner of
    desktop, I get the following message "You do not have the proper privilege
    level to change the system time"

    As I said, my username is logged on as the computer administrator so I dont
    know why all of a sudden I do not have access to system restore or ability to
    change time and date.

    Please provide an explanation as to what I am supposed to do.
    --
    Ed

    Ed, Mar 4, 2009

  2. Ed

    Malke Guest

    Ed wrote:

    (snip multipost)

    Asked and answered in the other newsgroup to which you posted. Please don't
    multipost; it makes more work for everyone and will get you *less* help,
    not more. See this for why:

    http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm - multiposting

    If you have forgotten where you posted or can't find your post, use Google
    Groups Advanced Search and search for your name.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP
    Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

    Malke, Mar 4, 2009
  3. Ed

    Joe Guest

    Thanks for the question Ed.
    Horrible responce Malke.
    I am trying to find a solution with a similar problem and then I only find
    this responce. That responce was not helpful to others. It especially does
    not make much since to be in a microsoft newgroup and directing someone to
    goto google for searching.
    It would have been MUCH MORE helpful to actually have linked to the solution.
    Thanks.

    Joe, Apr 1, 2009
  4. Ed

    1PW Guest

    OT - You experts aren't nice enough to us noobies!!!

    On 03/31/2009 08:19 PM, Joe sent:
    > Thanks for the question Ed.
    > Horrible response Malke.
    > I am trying to find a solution with a similar problem and then I only find
    > this response. That response was not helpful to others. It especially does
    > not make much since to be in a microsoft newsgroup and directing someone to
    > goto google for searching.
    > It would have been MUCH MORE helpful to actually have linked to the solution.
    > Thanks.

    Hello Joe:

    Before I try to show you our point of view, please let me invite you to
    open a new post with /your/ current trouble so that you may have a well
    functioning system. Choose the newsgroup wisely and crosspost *ONLY* if
    you absolutely believe it's worthy (High Priority or an Emergency for
    the masses). But please don't multipost!

    Many newcomers, to these newsgroups, believe that their post will only
    be scanned by a few, and then probably forgotten. They sometimes
    believe that they can not function without fixing their problem - *NOW*.
    Many are too rattled and upset to do even the most basic research. In
    their condition, many can not even begin to identify their own systems
    to us. Some can't phrase the subject matter in a few words and thus
    type: "HELP!" or "XP is broken" or the like. Although well born, raised
    and educated, many can't form complete thoughts nor compose a
    grammatically correct sentence. A few still haven't found their spell
    checkers. But, using theories from other walks of life, the newcomer
    *multiposts* to all manner of newsgroups using "shotgun" techniques as
    if they might be using newspaper want-ads.

    We come across the first post, and if we choose to help, we may do
    lengthy research if indeed we received adequate information. Malke does
    precisely that. Her posts are well thought out, polite and in the vast
    majority of instances, spot on as one might expect from an excellent
    MS-MVP, who also runs her own computer maintenance company. Though some
    of her responses are canned, they represent time honored solutions and
    if URLs are given, they're Internet safe locations with good reputations.

    In continuing through the newsgroups, a familiar post is found that was
    answered at length in another newsgroup. However, the difference is
    that /our/ response to the first post, is not to be found in this
    thread, or another has done equally careful research and has posted a
    similar answer. We then know that the OP has multiposted, and if they
    multiposted to two newsgroups, they've posted to many more. Now -
    should _we_ seek all the possible newsgroups that our newcomer has
    posted in. Many of us will not. It behooves the *OP* to keep track of
    where they've posted. *OR* maybe they should have instead, educated
    themselves prior to turning their computers on.

    So Joe. Place yourself in our position. Organize your thinking. Do
    some research (I know that /YOU/ were), carefully think of the facts in
    a linear manner. Tell us what your system consists of. Tell us when it
    occurred and what steps have you taken to resolve the issue. Use all of
    your senses to describe the problem. Be polite. Wait for us to respond.

    <http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm>
    <http://oakroadsystems.com/genl/unice.htm>

    Thank you. My spleen has now been vented. Morpheus beckons. :)

    Pete
    --
    1PW @?6A62?FEH9:DE=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]

    1PW, Apr 1, 2009
  5. Ed

    jinxy Guest

    Re: OT - You experts aren't nice enough to us noobies!!!

    On Apr 1, 5:47 am, 1PW <> wrote:
> [...]

    > should _we_ seek all the possible newsgroups that our newcomer has
    > posted in.  Many of us will not.  It behooves the *OP* to keep track of
    > where they've posted.  *OR* maybe they should have instead, educated
    > themselves prior to turning their computers on.
    >
    > So Joe.  Place yourself in our position.  Organize your thinking.  Do
    > some research (I know that /YOU/ were), carefully think of the facts in
    > a linear manner. Tell us what your system consists of.  Tell us when it
    > occurred and what steps have you taken to resolve the issue.  Use all of
    > your senses to describe the problem.  Be polite.  Wait for us to respond.
    >
    >            <http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm>
    >        <http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>
    >             <http://oakroadsystems.com/genl/unice.htm>
    >
    > Thank you.  My spleen has now been vented.  Morpheus beckons. :)

    Do you speak to your mother like that? Where as your computer skills
    may be high (self righteous?) your people skills could use a bit of
    refining.
    -J

    jinxy, Apr 1, 2009