Windows XP System restore has been shut off =[

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Every time I try to go to system restore it states that it has been turned off by a group policy and I need to contact my domain administrator.
I tried going to Run then putting in REGEDIT and deleting the necessary stuff, but that doesn't work.

If no one can help, is there any good program I can use to restore my computer?
It just started running really slow the other day and now web pages won't even load.
I tried Ubuntu but thats causing to much trouble.
Thanks!

Reaction score
Uh, I don't even know what OS means...

I have a Dell Desktop

=/

Sorry I'm not much help.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Email Dell and tell them your problem. They will reply to you with various suggestions. I have found them very helpful in the past. :)

If System Restore doesn't solve the problem then there is always PC Restore which puts your PC back to the day you bought it. It wipes off all the data you have added since Day 1 so you need to take off all your info and save it somewhere so that you can put it back on later. :thumb:

Are you using XP or Vista (or even something else)?

Reaction score
Where is PC Restore??
That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.
And I'm using XP

nivrip said:
Email Dell and tell them your problem. They will reply to you with various suggestions. I have found them very helpful in the past. :)

If System Restore doesn't solve the problem then there is always PC Restore which puts your PC back to the day you bought it. It wipes off all the data you have added since Day 1 so you need to take off all your info and save it somewhere so that you can put it back on later. :thumb:

Are you using XP or Vista (or even something else)?

Reaction score
Katty1214 said:
Where is PC Restore??
That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.
And I'm using XP

Did you get any recovery disks with the laptop? If so then you need to boot from it when the system reboots, this will load the recovery program and restore your pc back to factory settings. If you don't have any recovery disks then phone Dell up and ask them to send you some out.

Regards,

Wiz

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Katty1214 said:
Where is PC Restore??

Here is the info for PC Restore. You do not need a disc.

A PC Restore is as good as an Operating System Reinstall and will take the computer back to Day 1 settings. Please note that this step will wipe out all data on the computer, so I would advise you to take the back-up before attempting this restore. Please follow the steps mentioned below to perform a PC Restore:

1. Switch on the computer.
2. As the computer starts, press F8 on the keyboard until the Advanced Boot Options menu appears on the screen.Note: You must press F8 before the Windows logo appears on the screen. If you press F8 after the Windows logo appears on the screen, the Advanced Boot Options menu will not appear on the screen. If you do not see the Advanced Boot Options menu, restart the computer, and then repeat this step until you see the menu on the screen.
3. Press the Down Arrow on the keyboard to select Repair Your Computer on the Advanced Boot Options menu, and then press Enter.
4. Specify the language settings (United Kingdom) that you want, and then click Next.
5. Log in as your own user if you have administrative credentials, and then click OK.
6. From the Recovery options menu click Dell Factory Image Restore.
7. In the Dell Factory Image Restore window, click Next.
8. Click to select the Yes, reformat hard drive and restore system software to factory condition check box.
9. Click Next. The computer is restored to the default factory configuration.
10. When the restore operation is completed, click Finish to restart the computer.

Hope it works for you - it did for me.

Reaction score
I just went and tried that, and it took me to the advanced options, but It didn't have a Recovery Options menu.
I had like, Safe Mode, and 2 other safe modes that said something else after them, I had a few other options but I also had "Reboot"
Should I do that one?
I don't have my cd though. =/ And I think you have to have it.

nivrip said:
Here is the info for PC Restore. You do not need a disc.

A PC Restore is as good as an Operating System Reinstall and will take the computer back to Day 1 settings. Please note that this step will wipe out all data on the computer, so I would advise you to take the back-up before attempting this restore. Please follow the steps mentioned below to perform a PC Restore:

1. Switch on the computer.
2. As the computer starts, press F8 on the keyboard until the Advanced Boot Options menu appears on the screen.Note: You must press F8 before the Windows logo appears on the screen. If you press F8 after the Windows logo appears on the screen, the Advanced Boot Options menu will not appear on the screen. If you do not see the Advanced Boot Options menu, restart the computer, and then repeat this step until you see the menu on the screen.
3. Press the Down Arrow on the keyboard to select Repair Your Computer on the Advanced Boot Options menu, and then press Enter.
4. Specify the language settings (United Kingdom) that you want, and then click Next.
5. Log in as your own user if you have administrative credentials, and then click OK.
6. From the Recovery options menu click Dell Factory Image Restore.
7. In the Dell Factory Image Restore window, click Next.
8. Click to select the Yes, reformat hard drive and restore system software to factory condition check box.
9. Click Next. The computer is restored to the default factory configuration.
10. When the restore operation is completed, click Finish to restart the computer.

Hope it works for you - it did for me.

Last edited:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I have to say that I was on Vista when I did this particular restore. Maybe it's different for XP. You may be able to get the info you need by emailing Dell and explaining the problem. If there is a way to do it in XP then they will tell you how to do it. :thumb:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi Katty1214,

Here is the info for XP

Using PC Restore in Windows XP or Media Center

new_notice.jpg
Notice: Restoring the original factory image erases ALL existing data. This includes files, folders, programs, drivers, E-mails, photos. Before performing a PC Restore, back up all personal files. If you do not back up your personal files, the data will be lost.

1 Turn on the computer.

2 When the Dell splash screen appears during the computer startup process, press and hold <Ctrl> and then press <F11>. Then, release both keys at the same time.

3 In the Dell PC Restore by Symantec window, click Restore. Alternatively, press <Tab> to highlight Restore, and then press <Enter>.

4 When a warning message appears stating that all data will be lost, click Confirm, or press <Tab> to highlight Confirm and then press <Enter>.

The Progress window will appear. Once the restore process starts, Dell PC Restore by Symantec usually takes about 8 to 10 minutes to finish.

When the restore process is complete, the following message will appear:
The system recovery process was successful.

5 Click Finish or press <Tab> to highlight Finish and then press <Enter> to restart the computer.

The software is now installed as it was when the computer was first received.

It's certainly different to the Vista method. Best of luck. :thumb:

Reaction score
Before you go doing what Nivrip has said..A few questions..? Do you just want to restore to a prior date..? Or do you want to restore to factory settings..? Also what XP are you using..? XP Home or XP Pro..?

Chances are you have some form of virus..Try running some form of anti virus proramme first.....

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
you can edit group policies by using the GPEDIT.MSC from the run box. GPEDIT is a Microsoft Management console that will allow you to change the settings you need in order to fix the system restore. You will have to log into Windows using an account that has Administrative priviliges. That means, check your users in control panel. make sure that the user you log in with is set to administrator. If not, you will need to log off, and back in as the administrator.

here are some links you may be interested in taking a look at.

How to Disable the System Restore Configuration User Interface
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283073 - the exact opposite technique may work.

important info from that site:

Method 1: Use Group Policy Editor
1. Click Start, click Run, type gpedit.msc, and then click OK.
2. Expand Computer Configuration, expand Administrative Templates, expand System, and then click System Restore.
3. Double-click Turn off System Restore, and then on the Setting tab, select Enable.
4. Double-click Turn off Configuration, and then on the Setting tab, select Enable.

Will allow you to access the Group policy editor and change the settings you need.

Remember, Log off and back in with an ADMINISTRATOR account. A limited account will not allow you to use the GPO editor.

For more information about what these settings do, click the Explain tab on the Properties dialog box.
5. Click Apply, and then click OK.

Reaction score
GPEDIT.MSC is only available in XP Pro, hence my question as to XP Home or XP Pro....

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Did you get your earlier problem sorted using PC Restore? We always like to know if you were successful (or not) as it can help others who have similar problems. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question