Windows XP System Problem.

MDK

Reaction score
Well lately I have been debugging the hell out of my system... to find the major problem.
My system has been failing a lot lately and all I have are probabilities and theories.
I seem to believe they're all linked to my system memory and maybe linked to system volume.
My system keeps shutting down. It sometimes goes in bootloop mode. It is weird... if my system remains in Idle my system will always shut down. Then if I touch my mouse It will shut back on without actually booting... and will be in the same state it was in
Sometimes it doesn't turn back on... I would have to unplug my power and replug it.
Certain process's (sometimes) completely crashes and shuts down my entire system.
I can't use Flashplayer 10 anymore because that plug-in can cause a lot of unstable memory unloading
My Svchost uses way to much memory usage.... and everytime I attemept to run a disk check, it just crashes.
I seem to believe that it is a physical memory issue. I however can't determine the exact source and solution. I am not sure if it is a Hardware problem and my hardware is failing or if it is a Software Problem and some system volume sectors have been badily corrupted.
There might be real bad sectors IDK though...
And no, I haven't reformatted

My specs are ...

Intel(R)

Pentium(R) CPU CPU 3.00 Ghz
504 Mb of RAM
250 GB HDD
{Windows Xp, Service Pack 2}

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Try using a Linux Live CD like Kanotix. If that works ok then it will not be a hardware problem. If the Kanotix works ok then use it along with a external or internal hdd to save all your folders and files. Then do a clean install of your os. Thats the way I would go as tracking problems can eat away at your time and at least you wil have a clean systemk to play with again.

happywave.gif

Reaction score
From your specs I would guess its a few years old?

Just a guess but at from your first few lines of description it reads as maybe a power fluctuation?

Have a look at top of all capacitors around CPU area. Make sure to bulking at top of the caps or leaking is present....

Even the smallest bulge could indicate a faulty cap and it may need replacing.

They can cause a mulitude of problems in all areas due to insufficient smoothing :)

MDK

Reaction score
Thanks a lot...

YES, my PC is a bit old. 5-6 years atleast. My Computer has sentimental value. . . so I haven't been able to part with it. I have been having trouble finding hardware that is compatible with my System.
Actually... just a few mionths ago my system power died... and I had to take it into repair. I don't think that the technicians were competent, because they were supposed to fix the E-Drive, and it is still damaged.
The light on my PC doesn't turn on anymore since it came back from repair... and all the these errors happend shortly.. after that.
I am wondering.... if they have damaged something.
The thing is.. Software is my line of work, not system hardware. I doin't have much experience regarding actual hardware. So I am a bit lost on what is the actual problem and how to correct it.

Thanks for the INPUT... I appreciate it :)

Ask a Question