Switching to BT Part II

Reaction score
A while ago I posted this thread https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/switching-bt-t4035705.html where I said I was moving to BT. This was greeted with cynacism, but I figured they must be better than Virgin.

Well, I can safely say that while Virgin aren't a great company to deal with, I have a new-found appreciation of them after what is probably our worst ever consumer experience with BT.

Rang them up on the 9th May to order TV, Phone and Internet as for some reason our address came up with an error on their system. The bloke on the end of the phone only got error messages too, so he said that I would need to install a BT line before I could order the TV.

I asked if we could receive the Infinity internet, he said as the Hemel exchange was enabled we probably could. I asked if we could get TV, he said we could. He asked if I wanted to keep our number, he said we could do that no problem.

So they come a week or two later and install everything. To cut a long story short, after a month of almost daily phone calls to India, where we received no less than 7 reference numbers that our number had been changed to the on we were promised - not was going to be changed, but had been changed - we were told that in fact they could not promise that we could keep our number at all! Then we were told a few days later that we could never have our old number back and it had been lost, and were then told that Virgin had retained it and they had asked them for it back.

On top of that, it turned out we couldn't receive Infinity broadband. In fact, our speed was 1.8mb - too slow for TV!

In a rage I rang up trading standards and then BT to cancel it, and the bloke then told me our internet was fast enough for TV and he didn't understand why we were told it wasn't. He then tried to charge me a £329 termination fee, which could never have stood in a million years as they had violated several terms of their own contract with me, and after 10 minutes he gave up and the manager cancelled it for nothing.

I rang up Virgin, who said as it was less than thirty days since I left I could just re-open my account without having to give any details to them. After some advice from him I knocked the TV package down to the lowest and put the internet up, and I have ended up with 30mb broadband, TV and phone, with all new TV equipment and the modem/router thing (and he threw in HD activation and an international phone call package for free) for £45/month, a massive £15/month off what I was paying with them before!

Out of interest I asked him if there was any record of BT asking them for our number - surprise surprise, they hadn't bothered.

It has been a stressful month, but alls well that ends well! Having lied to me several times to sell me their carp, Bt got what they deserved and just 11 days after they picked up their equipment I am back with Virgin with a load of new equipment and a better deal. :D

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Told ya, told ya :p

Listen to uncle Floppington, he make sense when he say BT are big pile of poo poo :)

And while I'm at it, steer clear of Orange, they managed to reduce one of my daughters to tears with their antics.

Glad it all came good in the end :thumb:

Reaction score
Told ya, told ya :p

Listen to uncle Floppington, he make sense when he say BT are big pile of poo poo :)

And while I'm at it, steer clear of Orange, they managed to reduce one of my daughters to tears with their antics.

Glad it all came good in the end :thumb:

My absolute, unreserved apologies to you sir. I shall never fly in the face of such accurate advice again.

Reaction score
:mad:Told you so I would never, never, Never again sign up with BT they are the biggist lying pile of poo I have ever come across.:rolleyes:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Sounds like a BT nightmare PotGuy, but glad to hear it all came good for you in the end with Virgin.:thumb:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yep that sounds like BT to me.....

This is why i didn't get FTTC (Infinity) from them....

At least your sorted now PG. :)

Ask a Question