    Windows Live Safety Center which hasn't removed the problem. The screen or
    window has some writing in the upper left hand corner, but flashes by too
    quickly for me to see what it says.

    Guest, Sep 12, 2006

    Malke Guest

    Lightning wrote:

    > A black, blank window screen suddenly pops up and then disappears
    > while my start up icons are loading on. I'm concerned that this might
    > be some malicious software that records my input onto this screen and
    > sends it off to someone who has attached this screen to my computer.
    > How do I go about dealing with this?
    >
    > I've tried running the Protection / Clean-up & Tune-up Programs at the
    > Windows Live Safety Center which hasn't removed the problem. The
    > screen or window has some writing in the upper left hand corner, but
    > flashes by too quickly for me to see what it says.

    Go through these general malware removal steps systematically -

    Include scanning with either Sysclean or Multi_AV, plus Ewido. Do all
    prep/finishing work and follow instructions to do all scans in Safe
    Mode.

    When all else fails, run HijackThis and post your log in one of the
    specialty forums listed at the link above (not here, please).

    If the procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
    this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a professional
    computer repair shop (not your local version of BigStoreUSA).

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, Sep 12, 2006

    > Lightning wrote:
    >
    > > A black, blank window screen suddenly pops up and then disappears
    > > while my start up icons are loading on. I'm concerned that this might
    > > be some malicious software that records my input onto this screen and
    > > sends it off to someone who has attached this screen to my computer.
    > > How do I go about dealing with this?
    > >
    > > I've tried running the Protection / Clean-up & Tune-up Programs at the
    > > Windows Live Safety Center which hasn't removed the problem. The
    > > screen or window has some writing in the upper left hand corner, but
    > > flashes by too quickly for me to see what it says.

    One thing to try would be to download Spybot Search & destroy, then use
    the advanced mode -> Startup Programs listing to pinpoint the startup
    process in question. Running msconfig (start -> run -> msconfig) may
    reveal the problem as well, but without the helpful knowledge Spybot
    has to offer. Hopefully one of these two solutions will help with your
    problem.

    -Cheers

    , Sep 13, 2006

    Re: Suspicious Screen Pops Up Then Disappears When Start-up Icons

    I think I've got the problem solved. It's the McAfee Decurity Splash Screen.

    Thanks for the help from everyone.

    Guest, Sep 13, 2006