Suddenly can't safely remove external USB drives

Discussion in 'Windows XP Performance' started by Doc, Jan 12, 2012.

  1. Doc

    Doc Guest

    Hasn't been a problem until now. The system won't let go of a couple
    of USB external drives. Click the icon. hit Stop and I get a "can be
    stopped try later" message.

    Tried using Unlocker, still doesn't let me even when it says there are
    no handles.

    Running XP Pro SP3.

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks
     
    Doc, Jan 12, 2012
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. Doc

    Paul Guest

    Doc wrote:
    > Hasn't been a problem until now. The system won't let go of a couple
    > of USB external drives. Click the icon. hit Stop and I get a "can be
    > stopped try later" message.
    >
    > Tried using Unlocker, still doesn't let me even when it says there are
    > no handles.
    >
    > Running XP Pro SP3.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks


    And in a previous posting, you were fooling around with Windows Search 4.

    Any chance the two are related ?

    Maybe indexing is running on the external drives ? Or something
    you thought would help your search result, is now preventing safe
    removal.

    Paul
     
    Paul, Jan 12, 2012
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. Doc

    Doc Guest

    On Jan 12, 2:05 am, Paul <> wrote:
    > Doc wrote:
    > > Hasn't been a problem until now. The system won't let go of a couple
    > > of USB external drives. Click the icon. hit Stop and I get a "can be
    > > stopped try later" message.

    >
    > > Tried using Unlocker, still doesn't let me even when it says there are
    > > no handles.

    >
    > > Running XP Pro SP3.

    >
    > > Any suggestions?

    >
    > > Thanks

    >
    > And in a previous posting, you were fooling around with Windows Search 4.
    >
    > Any chance the two are related ?



    Don't know but it wasn't doing this previously with WS4 running. I'd
    actually never seen WS4 before, it must have been included in a
    Windows update. At first I thought it was annoying but it really
    speeds up searches exponentially faster. Finds files across 5 drives
    much, much faster than it would find a file on 1 drive with the usual
    windows search assistant. It's very useful to me now that I'm trying
    to clean up drives, get rid of redundant files.
     
    Doc, Jan 12, 2012
    #3
  4. Doc

    BillW50 Guest

    On 1/12/2012 6:59 AM, Doc wrote:
    > On Jan 12, 2:05 am, Paul<> wrote:
    >> Doc wrote:
    >>> Hasn't been a problem until now. The system won't let go of a couple
    >>> of USB external drives. Click the icon. hit Stop and I get a "can be
    >>> stopped try later" message.

    >>
    >>> Tried using Unlocker, still doesn't let me even when it says there are
    >>> no handles.

    >>
    >>> Running XP Pro SP3.

    >>
    >>> Any suggestions?

    >>
    >>> Thanks

    >>
    >> And in a previous posting, you were fooling around with Windows Search 4.
    >>
    >> Any chance the two are related ?

    >
    >
    > Don't know but it wasn't doing this previously with WS4 running. I'd
    > actually never seen WS4 before, it must have been included in a
    > Windows update. At first I thought it was annoying but it really
    > speeds up searches exponentially faster. Finds files across 5 drives
    > much, much faster than it would find a file on 1 drive with the usual
    > windows search assistant. It's very useful to me now that I'm trying
    > to clean up drives, get rid of redundant files.


    I just happened to check giveawayoftheday.com this morning and just the
    tool you need is being given away.

    USB Safely Remove 4.7
    http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/usb-safely-remove-47/

    I use both "USB Safely Remove" and "Zentimo" which are produced by the
    same company. Zentimo has a bit more features like testing drive speeds,
    etc. But both are very good and I can't see having Windows without
    either or.

    --
    Bill
    Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Thunderbird v9.0
    Centrino Core2 Duo 2.17 GHz - 1.5GB - Windows 7 SP1
     
    BillW50, Jan 12, 2012
    #4
  5. Doc

    Doc Guest

    On Jan 12, 8:20 am, BillW50 <> wrote:

    > I just happened to check giveawayoftheday.com this morning and just the
    > tool you need is being given away.
    >
    > USB Safely Remove 4.7http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/usb-safely-remove-47/



    Thanks. Hadn't heard of the site before. Tried it, still having the
    same problem. svchost.exe is the process that keeps coming up as
    having a lock on the drive.
     
    Doc, Jan 12, 2012
    #5
  6. Doc

    BillW50 Guest

    On 1/12/2012 8:23 AM, Doc wrote:
    > On Jan 12, 8:20 am, BillW50<> wrote:
    >
    >> I just happened to check giveawayoftheday.com this morning and just the
    >> tool you need is being given away.
    >>
    >> USB Safely Remove 4.7http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/usb-safely-remove-47/

    >
    >
    > Thanks. Hadn't heard of the site before. Tried it, still having the
    > same problem. svchost.exe is the process that keeps coming up as
    > having a lock on the drive.


    I rarely have a problem with safely remove. As it is usually like
    Explorer is looking at it or something. But USB Safely Remove has a
    force remove feature. Have you tried that? Windows should let it go then.

    Svchost.exe is part of Windows and does a lot of things. See:

    What is svchost.exe?
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/What-is-svchost-exe

    --
    Bill
    Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Thunderbird v9.0
    Centrino Core2 Duo 2.17 GHz - 1.5GB - Windows 7 SP1
     
    BillW50, Jan 12, 2012
    #6
  7. Doc

    Doc Guest

    On Jan 12, 9:39 am, BillW50 <> wrote:

    > I rarely have a problem with safely remove. As it is usually like
    > Explorer is looking at it or something. But USB Safely Remove has a
    > force remove feature. Have you tried that? Windows should let it go then.



    Yes, tried that.

    I just tried it again after a reboot and it's telling me that it can't
    find any processes locking the device that it might be locked by
    Windows.
     
    Doc, Jan 12, 2012
    #7
  8. Doc

    Doc Guest

    Doc, Jan 12, 2012
    #8
  9. Doc

    BillW50 Guest

    On 1/12/2012 9:32 AM, Doc wrote:
    > On Jan 12, 10:27 am, Doc<> wrote:
    >
    >> I just tried it again after a reboot and it's telling me that it can't
    >> find any processes locking the device that it might be locked by
    >> Windows.

    >
    >
    > Getting this error
    >
    > http://safelyremove.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=323


    I have seen utilities, applications, etc. that monitor drives on the
    system. Most of them play nicely and don't have a problem with safely
    remove. But once in awhile, some of them do. So can you think of
    anything you are running that might be monitoring disk space,
    temperatures, etc. that isn't native to Windows? I bet it works in
    safemode. eh?

    Yes the forum admits your problem does pop up for some. And they say it
    is a Windows bug which they are working on getting around.

    And you and I know, in a case that you can't safely remove something,
    powering down then remove is always safe. Although we both should check
    on this, but logging off *might* be safe too. If that is ok, that is
    much faster. I'm not suggesting this as a fix or anything, just a
    workaround until we figure out how to fix your problem.

    --
    Bill
    Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Thunderbird v9.0
    Centrino Core2 Duo 2.17 GHz - 1.5GB - Windows 7 SP1
     
    BillW50, Jan 12, 2012
    #9
  10. Doc

    Paul Guest

    Doc wrote:
    > On Jan 12, 10:27 am, Doc <> wrote:
    >
    >> I just tried it again after a reboot and it's telling me that it can't
    >> find any processes locking the device that it might be locked by
    >> Windows.

    >
    >
    > Getting this error
    >
    > http://safelyremove.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=323
    >


    For tools, you can try Sysinternals Handle program

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896655

    Apparently, Process Explorer also does handles, but it may take
    a bit of work to get the handles displayed on the screen.

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653

    What you're looking for, is any open files on any partition
    on the hard drive that can't be removed.

    Paul
     
    Paul, Jan 12, 2012
    #10
  11. Doc

    000-222-000 Guest

    "Doc" <> wrote in message news:...
    > On Jan 12, 9:39 am, BillW50 <> wrote:
    >
    >> I rarely have a problem with safely remove. As it is usually like
    >> Explorer is looking at it or something. But USB Safely Remove has a
    >> force remove feature. Have you tried that? Windows should let it go then.

    >
    >
    > Yes, tried that.
    >
    > I just tried it again after a reboot and it's telling me that it can't
    > find any processes locking the device that it might be locked by
    > Windows.



    Maybe you not looking at it Right,

    < http://news.hot-text.ath.cx:81/usb.png >



    --
    User-agent: *
    Disallow: /
     
    000-222-000, Jan 12, 2012
    #11
  12. From: "Doc" <>

    > Hasn't been a problem until now. The system won't let go of a couple
    > of USB external drives. Click the icon. hit Stop and I get a "can be
    > stopped try later" message.
    >
    > Tried using Unlocker, still doesn't let me even when it says there are
    > no handles.
    >
    > Running XP Pro SP3.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks


    Some utility or program is holding the drive or a file's handle open on the device.

    For examples let's say the USB External Drive is "E:". Some program or utility is either
    looking at "E:" or "E:\somefile" and thus the message.

    You can use Sysinternal Process Explorer to find out.

    Assuming "E:" for this discussion, load Process Explorer.
    From the pull-down menu choose; Find --> file or handle
    enter; e:

    and it will show you what application is holding open the handle.


    --
    Dave
    Multi-AV Scanning Tool - http://multi-av.thespykiller.co.uk
    http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp
     
    David H. Lipman, Jan 12, 2012
    #12
  13. Doc

    000-222-000 Guest

    000-222-000, Jan 13, 2012
    #13
  14. Doc

    Doc Guest

    Finally had success. Apparently it was the Windows Search -
    searchindexer.exe After killing that I can remove and restart it
    using USB Safely remove.
     
    Doc, Jan 15, 2012
    #14
  15. From: "Doc" <>

    > Finally had success. Apparently it was the Windows Search -
    > searchindexer.exe After killing that I can remove and restart it
    > using USB Safely remove.


    How did you determine that EXE was holding the handle open ?
    Did you use my Sysinternals Process Explorer suggestion ?


    --
    Dave
    Multi-AV Scanning Tool - http://multi-av.thespykiller.co.uk
    http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp
     
    David H. Lipman, Jan 15, 2012
    #15
  16. Doc

    Doc Guest

    On Jan 14, 10:35 pm, "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~>
    wrote:
    > From: "Doc" <>
    >
    > > Finally had success. Apparently it was the Windows Search -
    > > searchindexer.exe  After killing that I can remove and restart it
    > > using USB Safely remove.

    >
    > How did you determine that EXE was holding the handle open ?



    It was basically a hunch. I'd never seen WSA 4 until recently. It must
    have been part of a recent update, this isn't the first install of XP
    Pro on this machine. It does make searching a lot quicker - in fact
    for my current purposes of organizing some bloated drives I've let
    accumulate clutter, searching for redundancies it's indispensable, but
    I've noticed it seems to be all pervasive, I suppose it's constantly
    checking all drives for new or moved files.


    > Did you use my Sysinternals Process Explorer suggestion ?



    Yes, to kill the process altogether. Neither it nor USB Safely Remove
    named searchindexer.exe directly as the culprit. PE came bringing up a
    handle under svchost.exe when I entered G: in the "find" search. As it
    happens, I first discovered Process Explorer not too long ago, to
    solve the issue of folders and files that wouldn't delete. Also the
    excellent companion video "The Case Of The Unexplained" by the Micro
    $oft guru Mark Russinovich which I've turned into a DVD, since it
    gives some good insight into the workings of Windows. I've since
    learned there are several COTU talks he's given, I'll probably save
    the others as well.
     
    Doc, Jan 15, 2012
    #16
  17. From: "Doc" <>

    > On Jan 14, 10:35 pm, "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~>
    > wrote:
    >> From: "Doc" <>
    >>
    >>> Finally had success. Apparently it was the Windows Search -
    >>> searchindexer.exe After killing that I can remove and restart it
    >>> using USB Safely remove.

    >>
    >> How did you determine that EXE was holding the handle open ?

    >
    >
    > It was basically a hunch. I'd never seen WSA 4 until recently. It must
    > have been part of a recent update, this isn't the first install of XP
    > Pro on this machine. It does make searching a lot quicker - in fact
    > for my current purposes of organizing some bloated drives I've let
    > accumulate clutter, searching for redundancies it's indispensable, but
    > I've noticed it seems to be all pervasive, I suppose it's constantly
    > checking all drives for new or moved files.
    >
    >
    >> Did you use my Sysinternals Process Explorer suggestion ?

    >
    >
    > Yes, to kill the process altogether. Neither it nor USB Safely Remove
    > named searchindexer.exe directly as the culprit. PE came bringing up a
    > handle under svchost.exe when I entered G: in the "find" search. As it
    > happens, I first discovered Process Explorer not too long ago, to
    > solve the issue of folders and files that wouldn't delete. Also the
    > excellent companion video "The Case Of The Unexplained" by the Micro
    > $oft guru Mark Russinovich which I've turned into a DVD, since it
    > gives some good insight into the workings of Windows. I've since
    > learned there are several COTU talks he's given, I'll probably save
    > the others as well.


    Thanx for the update.


    --
    Dave
    Multi-AV Scanning Tool - http://multi-av.thespykiller.co.uk
    http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp
     
    David H. Lipman, Jan 15, 2012
    #17
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Murphy

    Remove the 'Safely Remove icon'

    Murphy, Apr 1, 2004, in forum: Windows XP Performance
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    245
    Wesley Vogel
    Apr 1, 2004
  2. George D

    How do I remove "safely remove hardware" function?

    George D, Apr 25, 2004, in forum: Windows XP Performance
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    366
    Guest
    Apr 25, 2004
  3. Guest
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    237
  4. Guest

    Can't safely remove usb hard drive

    Guest, Apr 3, 2005, in forum: Windows XP Performance
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    5,319
    mike loeven
    May 15, 2010
  5. Ant
    Replies:
    59
    Views:
    5,081
    BillW50
    Jan 2, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page