stuck in safe mode

I am running windows xp. I was told I have the svchost.exe virus. Was told to
go into safe mode and change registry info. I got into safe mode by doing:
run. msconfig and then changed boot.ini to safe mode.Now the computer is
stuck and will not exit safe mode. tried to reinstall window and it just
keeps saying computer has to restart. PLEASE HELP ME.

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE

"STUCK IN SAFE MODE" <STUCK IN SAFE (e-mail address removed)>
wrote in message
I am running windows xp. I was told I have the svchost.exe virus. Was
told to go into safe mode and change registry info. I got into safe
mode by doing: run. msconfig and then changed boot.ini to safe
mode.Now the computer is stuck and will not exit safe mode. tried to
reinstall window and it just keeps saying computer has to restart.
PLEASE HELP ME.

Did you uncheck the msconfig option to boot into Safe Mode?
Who told you you had a virus and why?
What did they tell you to change in the Registry?
Do you have Service Pack 2?

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Malke

STUCK said:
I am running windows xp. I was told I have the svchost.exe virus. Was
told to go into safe mode and change registry info. I got into safe
mode by doing: run. msconfig and then changed boot.ini to safe
mode.Now the computer is stuck and will not exit safe mode. tried to
reinstall window and it just
keeps saying computer has to restart. PLEASE HELP ME.

Was told by whom or what? What antivirus do you have installed? It
really is not clear what your exact sequence of events was and what the
state of the computer is now. What does "tried to reinstall window(s)"
mean? A repair install? An install with an OEM "restore disk"? Is the
computer part-way through a complete install or what?

I understand that you are upset and am sympathetic. But remember that we
can't see your computer from here and you have to be descriptive. Here
is a link that will help you make a good newsgroup post:

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Then come back with all necessary information and you'll get help.

Malke