Strange Outlook Behaviour

Robert Morley

I just had some really strange Outlook (XP) behaviour, and I'm wondering if
anybody has a clue what might have caused it. Here's what happened:

Typing in a new HTML-formatted message was EXTREMELY slow and caused 50%
processor usage on a hyper-threaded system (aka, 100% in a normal system).
When I stopped typing, processor usage returned to normal. The problem did
not occur in new text messages or RTF messages, nor was there any
sluggishness in IE, Outlook Express messages, or anything else that I
checked. Closing and re-starting Outlook had no effect. Disabling
mail-related services like Norton anti-virus also had no effect. Stopping
other apps and services similarly had no effect (though I never made it as
far as the printer service, the relevance of which will be obvious in a
moment).

Then, half-way through stopping unnecessary services, on a hunch, I went
into File, Print to make sure that it had the default printer selected,
since I remembered seeing some odd behaviours in Excel when a printer wasn't
selected. The default printer was selected, so I tried selecting a
different printer and accidentally printed the document. At that point, the
problem completely disappeared.

Reverting to the default printer did not cause the problem to return. And
VERY strangely, when I went to revert to the default printer, I noticed that
the printer list had changed from list view to large icon view.

Is that strange, or what? Anybody have any theories?

Rob

Roady [MVP]

Update KB931768 changed the printing behavior of Internet Explorer and
affects HTML mail in Outlook since Outlook 2003 and previous use IE to
render HTML. Your actions might have resetted or reregistered some stuff and
fixed Outlook at the same time :)

Robert Morley

Thanks Rob. I didn't see anything re-register visibly, but it's hardly
unusual that it would be silent. Seems quite reasonable that that's what
happened. Thanks for the response.

A different Rob :)

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]

-----
Robert Morley said:
[...]

You're welcome! :)

--

Robert Morley said:
[...]

Well, apparently that wasn't it, because it happened again today. It seems
that simply selecting "File, Print", without doing anything further
whatsoever (i.e., I don't actually need to print anything) will fix the
problem, but I'm really not sure why it's happening in the first place, and
only within the last couple of days. The only things I remember installing
were the standard batch of MS updates.

Rob

Roady said:
You're welcome! :)

--

http://www.howto-outlook.com/

-----
[...]

How many sites do you have listed in the Restricted Sites Zone in Internet
Explorer?
Control Panel-> Internet Options-> tab Security-> Restricted sites-> button
Sites

--

Robert Morley said:
Well, apparently that wasn't it, because it happened again today. It
seems that simply selecting "File, Print", without doing anything further
whatsoever (i.e., I don't actually need to print anything) will fix the
problem, but I'm really not sure why it's happening in the first place,
and only within the last couple of days. The only things I remember
installing were the standard batch of MS updates.

Rob

Roady said:
You're welcome! :)

--

Robert Morley said:
Thanks Rob. I didn't see anything re-register visibly, but it's hardly
unusual that it would be silent. Seems quite reasonable that that's
what happened. Thanks for the response.

A different Rob :)

in message Update KB931768 changed the printing behavior of Internet Explorer and
[...]

A whole bunch...put there by Spyware Blaster, as I remember it. But they've
been there for a long time. This problem has only started cropping up in
the last few days.

Out of curiosity, I tried deleting the associated registry keys to remove
them all (cuz removing all of them one-by-one would've been a nightmare),
and that DID fix it, but that still doesn't explain why it's a problem now,
when it wasn't a few days ago, or why File, Print would fix it. Putting
them back with Spyware Blaster,
e-mail is slow again, so that's definitely part of the problem.

Strangely, though, there's one Restricted Site that it won't let me remove,
and that doesn't appear in the registry: http://related.msn.com. Any idea
what's up with that?

Rob

Robert Morley said:
Well, apparently that wasn't it, because it happened again today. It
seems that simply selecting "File, Print", without doing anything further
whatsoever (i.e., I don't actually need to print anything) will fix the
problem, but I'm really not sure why it's happening in the first place,
and only within the last couple of days. The only things I remember
installing were the standard batch of MS updates.

Rob

Roady said:
You're welcome! :)