Stop users from being able to Kill Processes

lforbes

Hi,

My users are locked down pretty tight with Group Policies. I have left
them access to the Task Manager simply because often a program will
lock up and they need to use Task Manager to End Task on the program.

However, I have a program that runs in the
HKLM-Software-Microsoft-Windows-CurrentVersion-Run Key and it controls
the users internet access. They have been able to bypass it by killing
the process. As it is listed as running under their account they have
access to killing it.

The only group policy available locks out Task Manager completely and
I would rather not do that.

1> Is there a way to "hide" certain programs from appearing in Task
Manager.

2> Is there a way to hide the Processes Tab.

or

3> Is there a way to prevent regular users from being able to kill
processes like the program?

Thanks

Lara

Ken B

lforbes

Ken B2 said:
I'd go with 3. If you make it a service, set for "Automatic"
the user
shouldn't be able to kill it. From there, you can specify who
the program
runs as (me, you, or local system account). Your software may
or may not be
able to function in this capacity, but it's worth a shot.

Create Windows Services
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnvsm01/html/vs0112dt.asp

How To Create a User-Defined Service

HTH

Ken

Hi,

Yes, I unfortunately tried that but the service wouldn’t start. I have
got an email into the company for a fix.

Cheers,

Lara

Ken B

Weird question... what software package is it you're working with?

Ken

http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
  > > > request
  > > > Articles individually checked for
conformance to usenet

http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Stop-users-Kill-Processes-ftopict365363.html
  > > > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg.
req'd). Report

http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1177713
Hi,

Yes, I unfortunately tried that but the service wouldn't start. I have
got an email into the company for a fix.

Cheers,

Lara

Hi,

The Software is called Aristoclass by Minicom. It is actually great
when it works. It allows remote control of any workstation, the
ability to restart computers, lock them out, log them off, black
screen them, control IE access etc. It is great for a lab environment
which is what I administer.

Cheers,

Lara