STOP c000021a Windows logon service failed

Ben

I have one of my machines at here giving me a start up
error... then the machine will just reboot. I looked it
up in knowledgebase, and it says the latest service pack
fixes the issue... I have the latest on there... and even
if I didn't, I can't get the machine to boot in any mode
without giving this error, and rebooting again.

error
Stop c000021a (fatal system error)
Windows logon service system service failed unexpectedly
with status of 0x00000080 (0x00000000 0x00000000)

Anyone ever deal with this, and not have to rebuild the
computer?

thanks
Ben

Bill Peele [MS]

--------------------
From: "Ben" <[email protected]>
Subject: STOP c000021a Windows logon service failed
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 09:41:49 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general

--

Ben,

The STOP 0xC000021A error occurs when either Winlogon.exe or Csrss.exe fails. When the Windows NT kernel detects
that either of these processes has stopped, it stops the system and raises the STOP 0xC000021A error.

Most STOP 0xC000021A errors occur because Winlogon.exe fails, which typically occurs because of a faulty third-party
Graphical Identification and Authentication (GINA) DLL. The GINA is a replaceable DLL component that Winlogon.exe
loads. The GINA implements the authentication policy of the interactive logon model. The GINA performs all identification
and authentication user interactions.

It is very common for certain types of remote control software to replace the default Windows GINA DLL (Msgina.dll).
Therefore, a good first step is to examine the system to see if it has a third-party GINA DLL. To do this, locate the following
registry key:

Value = GinaDLL REG_SZ

- If the Gina DLL value is present and is anything other than
Msgina.dll, this probably means that a third-party product has changed
this value.

- If this value is not present, the system uses Msgina.dll as the
default GINA DLL

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.

Hi

I'm getting the same thing on my computer. I have no idea what is causing it. But when I boot up in safe mode w/o networking it runs just fine

But I did find something with the same error and everything. Only it is for Windows 2000 and this is what it said
SYMPTOM
When you try to log on to a domain on a Windows 2000-based computer, a Winlogon error dialog box briefly appears and then the following Stop error message occurs
STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error
The Windows Logon Process System process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000005 (0x0000000 0x00000000). The system has been shut down
CAUS
This problem occurs if the fully qualified domain name ( FQDN) of your computer is exactly 200 bytes long. During logon, one character more than the 200-byte allocation is written and heap corruption occurs
RESOLUTIO
Service Pack Informatio
To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Microsoft Windows 2000. For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base

260910 How to Obtain the Latest Windows 2000 Service Pack

I have Win XP Home and it was upgraded from 98SE. I have A dell Temension which is about 3 years old. Have had no problems until now. I can't even get my computer to boot up unless it's running in safe mode without networking. The issue is with the Rundll32.exe which causes the problem. I don't remember if I installed the hotfix or not. I couldn't download it at one time and just had it to remind me but I think I may have installed it

I need help with this as I CAN NOT do a restore. Do not have Windows XP upgrade CD nor can I use the restore disk as I've installed two new CD Drives. One a DVD player and one A CD RW drive. It does not have drivers for those. It will install old drivers

I hope someone can help. Please email (e-mail address removed) or contact me on ICQ 2830575 thank you