    will automatically restart about 10 minutes after I have turned it on. I've
    run a virus update (with updated virus definitions) but it has not found
    anything.

    Guest, Jun 21, 2005

    Galen Guest

    In news:,
    chile_paul <> had this to say:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Whenever I start up my computer, I can no longer see the Start
    > button, the Taskbar or any of my Desktop icons.
    >
    > I have tried system restore but there were no valid restore points,
    > and re-installing Windows from the CD has not solved the problem.
    >
    > Has anybody got any ideas about how to fix this?
    >
    > The system also seems to be running more slowly, and on some
    > occasions it will automatically restart about 10 minutes after I have
    > turned it on. I've run a virus update (with updated virus
    > definitions) but it has not found anything.

    Press CTRL + ALT + DEL > File > New Task > type "explorer.exe" and hit
    enter. That should bring up your desktop and the rest.

    Then take a peek here:

    Malware Cleaning :
    http://www.kgiii.info/windows/all/general/malwarefix.html

    Following that clean your temp internet files, temp files, and the like.
    Maybe a good defrag and a chkdsk as well of your main drive.

    When that's done if you still have trouble when you boot up feed us more
    information.

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes

    Galen, Jun 21, 2005

    TaurArian Guest

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318027
    Taskbar Is Missing When You Log On to Windows

    and/or

    Line 117 – Restore Taskbar and Start Menu

    Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

    or Line #195 "Restore Desktop Icons and Taskbar"

    TaurArian, Jun 22, 2005

    This may pertain to you, it may not. I just had a user install the SBC-Yahoo
    DSL software on their XP Pro SP 2 computer and upon logging in all of the
    desktop items would appear for a brief moment and then disappear. Attempts to
    run explorer would fail with no error messages nor event log entries made. I
    followed the instructions for performing a clean boot and eventually found
    the culprit. An additional application called IP Insight was installed along
    with the rest of the SBC suite, and removing it fixed the problem.

    Guest, Jun 22, 2005

    Thanks for eveyboy's advice. Unfortunately - this has not solved the problem
    yet.

    Firstly I tried to run explorer.exe, however the computer reported an error
    saying that it could not find the file (I also tried running it from the C:/
    prompt as well to see if this made a difference but it still could not find
    the file). I can see the file listed in the directory so I'm not sure what
    the problem is with this.

    I have also tried to run a clean boot, however the problem still occurs even
    with only the minimum set of drivers loaded. I have also tried to re-install
    Windows XP from the CD (again no success!!) and I have tried loading the
    files that TaurArian suggested but no change.

    Does anyody have any other suggestions?

    Guest, Jun 23, 2005

    I eventually managed to resolve the problem by opening the Add/Remove
    Programs wizard and deleting all the Windows Hotfix files. On rebooting
    everything returned to normal

    Guest, Jun 28, 2005

    Dear Galen:

    I came across this thread and hoped it would solve my problem, but so far no
    luck.

    My daughter attempted to download a program from a survey company, and she
    said it didn't go smoothly....as soon as she attempted to stop it all, the
    task bar and start button disappeared (much like this chile_paul's problem).
    A;so, Windows Explorer will not work (even when I type in explorer.exe, as
    you suggested)

    Her desktop computer is running on a network with my desktop computer (both
    in our home), and the exact same problem she has on her computer is now
    plaguing mine.

    I can actually get to my programs through the convoluted use of
    Ctrl-Alt-Del, and at one point I did a "clean boot" and the start menu and
    task bar and Windows Explorer showed up, but then I went back to "normal"
    startup and they all disappeared again.

    I manually removed the items from my startup folder, trying to see if I
    could pinpoint the problem, but it never started correctly....

    Then I tried another "clean boot", but this time, the start menu and task
    bar didn't show up.

    I also tried all of the Kellys-Korner sites you suggested, but although they
    indicate that they "fixed" the problem, I still can't see my start
    button/menu and task bar.

    I use Norton Antivirus and Adaware and Spybot, but I don't know if they are
    helping in this instance.

    I do not have SP2, would this be a time to try to load that and see if it
    fixes the problems?

    Guest, Aug 12, 2005