Windows 7 Stable when using Remote Desktop, freezing in normal use...

Reaction score
So I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts on this. I have a box which I remote desktop into, which also runs some software to act like a small server. There are quite a few random nonstandard devices hooked up via USB to serial converters, as well as a couple webcams. What happens is that after a while in normal use the computer seems to lock up, start having program crashes, etc., but these problems never really occur when remote desktoping in, nor does the server functionality seem to be affected (except for occasionally the webcams). In fact, on more than one occasion the computer has "frozen" while using it, but if I go to a different computer on the same vpn I can remote desktop in as normal and everything seemingly works. When the instability arises I occasionally get a bluescreen if I attempt a restart.

Frankly I'm a little confused by this behavior. Does anyone here have a suspicion on this? My inclination is to say that something strange is happening with the graphics card/driver, but I would normally expect that to crash the system entirely. If theres a driver conflict with one of these devices going through the serial converters theres not much I can do, unless replacing this cheap graphics card with something more substantial might help... Any comments are appreciated, thanks.

Ask a Question