Windows XP wireless disconnects when logging in with remote desktop

Reaction score
When trying to remote desktop into a computer wirelessly, the connection is established, once entering password, the wireless adapter seems to be disconnecting on the host.

Details:
Computer A - Host (the one I'm logging in to)
- Toshiba Tecra M4 (Centrino), Tablet XP (xp pro)
- Wireless adapter, using Intel PROSet Wireless to control connection
Computer B - Client (the one I'm logging on from)
- Desktop, XP Pro
- wireless adapter, using MS Connection Manager

Using B, launch Remote Desktop app to connect to A, enter applicable info, click Connect. Connection is made. Remote Desktop login screen comes up. Connection continues. I monitor this by pinging it from a seperate window. Once I enter the password, the desktop is shown for a brief moment, then the connection is dropped, as verified by ping requests timing out.

More information. I can successfully accomplish the reverse (connecting from A to B).

I'm suspicious that my wireless is logging out when the local session is disconnected on A. Has anyone else experienced this? Have any ideas?

Reaction score
Ok. So I'll respond a possible solution to my situation, although it really doesn't address the entirety of the problem.

By switching which program was controlling the wireless connection from the Intel PROSet Wireless back to Microsoft's built in wireless control, I'm now able to connect as expected.

So the problem must be in the Intel software. I've confirmed that I've got the latest drivers and software versions from the Intel site.

I'll leave this here so that anyone else experiencing this problem may find this solution when searching (as I couldn't find mention of it anywhere on line, at least not yet).

-themilkman

Ask a Question